Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Kindle 3 "disk" size

Someone was asking about the storage capacity of the K3.

When attached as a drive, Windows 7 says the K3 has 3.05 GB.

My 20 .mobi books (I also have several Calibre-generated newspaper and magazine entries, but I'll assume their impact is negligible) take up 32.5 MB. The K3 indexes for that content take up another 12 MB. (Windows 7 says only 45.2 MB is used.)

That works out to roughly (there seems to be very little system-related overhead) 1.6 MB per book (given the size of the particular books I have loaded), and another 0.6 MB per book for indexing. Total: 2.2 MB per book.

That looks like: 3,123 MB storage / 2.2 MB per book = 1,412 books per K3.

So it seems likely that the K3 can store 3,500 smaller books ;-)

Estimated, my number makes sense to me: if you've got 3,000 MB storage, and a book is only 2 MB (and that has been me experience with my other ereader), and even if indexing adds another 50%, you're still talking about 3,000/3=1,000.
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Most commercial ebooks from amazon that I have bought are under 700 kb. I have 26 items on my Windows hard-drive (backups, DRM intact) and just under 16 mb.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
lol that's kinda confusing...
It was.

Let's try this: your K3 has 3,000 units of storage. A book takes between 1 and 3 units of storage. So your K3 can store between 3,000 and 1,000 books.

Make a little more sense?
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote