Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #31
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
I must admit I slowly become a bit confused about the coming(?) device from Asus. Last year it was anounced to be DR 950 model, early this year they showed DR 900 and the fuzz was about 900 only from then on with a slight rumour that it's a new code name for it. Now Qt says DR 950 running their application and be out Q4 2010.

So is there going be a single model or maybe two of them? The latter would make more sens from the pricing point of view - assuming DR 950 being a better, reacher in apps and stuff model customer could choose between DR 900 and 950. If this is not the case and we will end up facing only DR 950 hitting market, my dears are that Asus price for the device was not going to be very competitive to Kindle 3 so they added some extra features to justify the price. Which from my very personal view and expectations is not the best news.

Anyway, time will tell.
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:40 AM   #32
jsambrook
jsambrook began at the beginning.

Device: Asus DR-9[05]0
Cool Is that just your cynicism, or do you know something we don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheichxodox View Post
Not really going to happen, isn't it?
Why do you say that?

I email them again on 23/9/10 with:

Quote:
Hi,

A couple more questions now that I've seen a friend's new Kindle.

Are you still going to be shipping an e-ink style reader (I'm not
interested in the LCD Note given its recharge time)?

Is there a date yet?

How can I get my hands on one?

Thanks for your help.
and got this response:

Quote:
Dear Jonathan

Yes, we'll launch our eee-reader with e-ink technology.

The launch date is in Q4, but not confirmed yet.

Kindest Regards,

ASUSTeK UK
So whilst they could still pull the release, it sounds as though they are still planning on releasing at least the e-ink reader in the next few months.
jsambrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #33
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I said that I doubt that there still will be news about the DR-900 in the PCWorld in September. Now we have October and there are still no news, not in PCWorld, not anywhere. So I was right.
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #34
Flipster
Flipster began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I've been keeping an eye on PCWorlds web site for any signs of the allusive ASUS DR9xx to no avail..obviously..What I have noticed, however, is they HAD lots of Sony's, Cooler and one other device ...Elonex? I think?...whatever, it had a small screen so wouldn't fit my needs anyway so I promptly forgot about it.
Having checked again today I was surprised by the LACK of ebook readers, ONE Cooler model, and that had a discount of £50, have they been clearing the shelves ready for a big influx of new readers? Preferably for me, one or two with the larger displays? ...Yeah! I know! I live in hope!

Or are they just done with the whole ereader scene? Heaven forbid!

Any views?
Flipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #35
jsambrook
jsambrook began at the beginning.

Device: Asus DR-9[05]0
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheichxodox View Post
I said that I doubt that there still will be news about the DR-900 in the PCWorld in September. Now we have October and there are still no news, not in PCWorld, not anywhere. So I was right.
Yeah, sorry. My misreading of what you'd actually written.
jsambrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 03:06 AM   #36
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Via Nate's Blog here are the news. Seems it won't be out before November 29.

I've also found four new videos which belong to the TZ-900:
One
Two
Three
Four

Last edited by scheichxodox; 10-22-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:17 AM   #37
scheichxodox
Zealot

Here is also the translated version of a board entry with some new photos.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:24 AM   #38
ejml
ejml began at the beginning.

Device: Asus DR-950
Hello Folks,

I send to mail at Asus feedbak, this is the response from Asus:

Dear Customer,

Thanks by contact with Asus Customer Care Department.

The e-reader DR900/950 must be avalaibles at the end of november.

It's good news, really?

¿Asus tiene pensado comercializar algún tipo de ereader antes de finalizar el año?.
Llevo esperando mucho tiempo haciendo caso de las noticias, pero el ereader de
asus nunca llega, quisiera saber si va a ser posible un ereader de asus antes de fin
de año, para seguir esperando o decidirme por otro
ejml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:06 AM   #39
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

It is good and bad news I guess...

First they say it's going to be end of November but in Taiwan! No word when the reader comes to US and EU.

Second thing is the pricing. $390?!?!? From the rumours before it was supposed to be less than $300 which is 30% different now... With the same news they also state that DR 900 is using SiPix display "which is apparently cheaper to buy" (for Asustek). If it is so and Asus will price its reader equally to Kindle DX, that is not a very competitve approach...

Anyway, over 6 months of waiting can get you tired enough. If then the reader is going to be in that price, I am going to get really really annoyed...
Old 10-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #40
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
SiPix screens were supposed to be worse than Vizplex regarding contrast, but useful for cheap readers. How are you going to sell a big SiPix screen if you put it in the same price range. Do you think people won't compare the screen quality primarily?

If they can't make the price lower, I'd say they won't sell outside their captive markets. It just makes no sense.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #41
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc

finally the actually sort of launch this reader. if they can get the US price down to the $325 of the TZ version then they could sell a bunch i think. especially since they have existing distribution brick and mortar channels.

What actually is that slot in the above picture? i read it as being a slot for a sort of credit card sized id card that would store some personal preferences. is that correct?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:39 AM   #42
hch568
Enthusiast
hch568 began at the beginning.

Device: IPad2, EZRead Touch, Garmin-Asus M10
I believe that slot is for a specific charity group (their targeted customers in Taiwan) to retrieve/read/view the stored information. It might be able to serve as a debit card reader in the US market.
hch568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 AM   #43
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
SiPix screens were supposed to be worse than Vizplex regarding contrast, but useful for cheap readers. How are you going to sell a big SiPix screen if you put it in the same price range. Do you think people won't compare the screen quality primarily?

If they can't make the price lower, I'd say they won't sell outside their captive markets. It just makes no sense.
I think that SiPix screens refresh much more quickly than E-Ink. So, they could flip pages faster, be useful for viewing websites with Flash or other animations, show handwritten notes in near real-time,... It could be a more general gadget than ones based on E-Ink, that makes a better E-Reader than ones with back-lit screens.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:45 AM   #44
patpat
patpat began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
The size is perfect but compared to the new sony prs-650 the contrast and speed don't look very good on this Asus...

patpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #45
AdamV
*Censored*

here's the first hands-on review for DR-900... it's in spanish but seems like google's translator does a pretty good job here... you can find some nice pics there as well as video and more information than revealed by all other sources so far - so enjoy!

http://translate.google.com/translat...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8