Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
distorteddisco
Enthusiast
distorteddisco began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Your case should be covered by the Standard One-Year Warranty. Here is the applicable section:

The Extended Protection Plan extends the items covered by the Standard Warranty to two years and includes damage caused by accident.

Here is the complete warranty document.
This was my point. They didn't say that I lied and actually smashed the unit on the pavement but they also said that their warranty agreement doesn't cover the replacement of a defective screen.

I'm pretty stumped as to what to do. Pay the obscene $60 to fix a device I didn't break? Live with an expensive paperweight?
distorteddisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #17
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Your case should be covered by the Standard One-Year Warranty. Here is the applicable section:

The Extended Protection Plan extends the items covered by the Standard Warranty to two years and includes damage caused by accident.

Here is the complete warranty document.
Jeese! I hear Amazon just sends you a new Kindle and lets you dispose of the broken unit.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibahbuzemann View Post
Jeese! I hear Amazon just sends you a new Kindle and lets you dispose of the broken unit.
Which is why, even as compelling as the Kobo touch was, I stayed in the Amazon ecosystem for my last eReader purchase. I seriously wanted our third eReader to be epub compatible, but instead, they're all Kindles. I wonder how many Kindles Amazon has sold due to people having confidence that they'll be taken care of if they break one.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
distorteddisco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Which is why, even as compelling as the Kobo touch was, I stayed in the Amazon ecosystem for my last eReader purchase. I seriously wanted our third eReader to be epub compatible, but instead, they're all Kindles. I wonder how many Kindles Amazon has sold due to people having confidence that they'll be taken care of if they break one.
I know what my next eReader will be.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #20
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by distorteddisco View Post
I know what my next eReader will be.
Just be aware that there are some people bitching about the $85 fee that had to pay to have their kindle repaired in that forum. (others are talking about getting a free replacement just as you can find both stories in this forum).

Personally I suggest you spend some time arguing with Kobo support that it is not your fault and is a defect that is covered under the warranty. Worst thing that can happen is you still have to pay the $60.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
This was my point. They didn't say that I lied and actually smashed the unit on the pavement but they also said that their warranty agreement doesn't cover the replacement of a defective screen.
That's not correct. Follow the link in this thread and read the basic Kobo warranty - it does cover replacement of a defective screen, unless the defect was caused by an accident or misuse. The only part it doesn't cover is the battery (and really Kobo shouldn't weasel on that either since the battery is built in, non-replaceable, and should last at least a year).

It sounds like the Kobo rep you dealt with is taking the official position that the damage was caused by accident or misuse. Did they tell you to send it in for inspection so they can determine the cause of the defect? That's certainly the least they should do.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
It sounds like the Kobo rep you dealt with is taking the official position that the damage was caused by accident or misuse. Did they tell you to send it in for inspection so they can determine the cause of the defect? That's certainly the least they should do.
Call in and talk to another rep. And if they don't suggest sending it in for inspection, ask if it's possible. Polite but firm, and relentless, that's the way to go.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #23
distorteddisco
Enthusiast

Firm and polite turned out to be the way to go (they've already got the broken unit). New one is on the way

+1 for Kobo.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #24
distorteddisco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
Just be aware that there are some people bitching about the $85 fee that had to pay to have their kindle repaired in that forum. (others are talking about getting a free replacement just as you can find both stories in this forum).

Personally I suggest you spend some time arguing with Kobo support that it is not your fault and is a defect that is covered under the warranty. Worst thing that can happen is you still have to pay the $60.
Interesting. Good to know... Kobo wins.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #25
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Firm and polite turned out to be the way to go (they've already got the broken unit). New one is on the way

+1 for Kobo.
Excellent! I'll add that to my little comparison list for possible back-up readers.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #26
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:

+1 for Kobo.
Firm and polite is always the way to go.
It's just a shame you had to go through being told that it wasn't covered by one rep before having the Kobo replaced.
I wish they could be more consistent.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #27
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Firm and polite is always the way to go.
It's just a shame you had to go through being told that it wasn't covered by one rep before having the Kobo replaced.
I wish they could be more consistent.

It's part of being human. Each person you talk to will be different because each person's comprehension of the policies is going to be different. Not all people can know all things and not everyone will understand all things correctly. It's just like going anywhere.

Suzy will tell you one thing. Bob will tell you something else and Fred tells you something different altogether. It's the human factor. It'd be nice if everyone understood and interpreted things the proper way but it's just not possible. Each indvidual's knowledge base, comprehension level, and life experiences are different therefore, sadly, you will get different answers.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can you post a photograph of your screen? A broken screen substrate has a very distinctive appearance and is easy to spot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #29
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Glad to hear you were able to get the replacement process going. Based on what was discussed in this thread so far, if it were me, I would have done exactly that, which is to try to phone back or email back to attempt to get a different human being on the either end, who would be more sympathetic to my issue. I maybe even would have tried two or three times more, in fact, if I didn't get success yet.

Anyway, as for the non-prominence of the protection plan: I saw it on their website when researching what ereader to get. If you go to the homepage, then click "eReaders" in the top menu bar, it takes you to http://www.kobobooks.com/touch . In the left menu, fourth from the bottom, is "Protection Plan". I'd say that's reasonably prominent? I purchased the protection plan within 1 or 2 days of purchasing my KT, because I was (still am) impressed that it covers even drops and liquid damage.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote