Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 01:39 AM   #31
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
...newspapers are a bad idea for a sauna. You get your hands and arms black with ink, plus, the paper easily disintegrates when mixed with your sweat.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:14 AM   #32
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Yes; they must have ventilation, must they not?
I don't think so. They produce about as much heat as a watch, and most watches are water tight.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #33
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Interesting, I may try my Opus in the Sauna..... Usually about 100 Celcius...I usually do about 10 to 20 minutes... so Should see some effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
I do sauna frequently and usually take the PRS-300 with me and never had any problem, besides the page turns becoming slow, and a occasional thin layer of moisture forming over the screen. I do sauna some two times a week. After the sauna, the temperature drops rapidly, and the page turn speed returns quickly to normal.

I noticed, not surprisingly, that the metal parts of the PRS-300 got very hot very rapidly, and, even if it didn't do any noticeable damage to the device i thought i should mitigate it, so i started using a wet (not dripping, though) microfibre swimming towel as a base for the back of my reader (these towels absorb a big amount of water without loosing water when handled) and it prevents very well the heat buildup. In this case, page turn speed does not drop, since the heat is very well transferred by the metal to the water contained in the towel. The maximum time i have spent inside the sauna with the reader without any break is 30 minutes.

I do wet sauna (löyly), which i think is more aggressive to the reader, but occasionally do dry too. Dry sauna is not as quick to cause slowness in the reader as the wet. Water increases the difficulty in dissipating heat so maybe that is the reason.

I would not recommend using plastic bags, since the bag acts as a mini-greenhouse and might cause the temperature inside the bag to raise quicker, and also droplets from condensation aggregate in the walls of the plastic bag and might form a huge drop that can infiltrate in your device.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #34
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Interesting, I may try my Opus in the Sauna..... Usually about 100 Celcius...I usually do about 10 to 20 minutes... so Should see some effect
What???? A hundred degrees Celsius? In 10-20 mins? Are you sure you aren't well done then?
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:47 AM   #35
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Oh wow. SolRaven, that plastic-sealed reader trick is brilliant! You have no idea how many times I've wished my kindle was waterproof! Thank you.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:55 AM   #36
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm quite often afraid to take ME in a sauna!

I think that's why I find the idea of taking a reader into a Sauna so daft. I think taking yourself into one is madness .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #37
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
What???? A hundred degrees Celsius? In 10-20 mins? Are you sure you aren't well done then?
That's what I was thinking, but I just figured that maybe it was something that you could build up to. I enjoyed saunas more when I lived in a cooler climate. I loved that feeling of being heated up through and through, but now, I'm always seeking cooler temps. They should make walk in refrigerators to relax in. Like the one I used to go stand in when I worked in an open air bar. You could always find someone just standing in there, cooling off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Oh wow. SolRaven, that plastic-sealed reader trick is brilliant! You have no idea how many times I've wished my kindle was waterproof! Thank you.
Anytime Nancy. Like I mentioned, Kindles are a little trickier because of all the buttons and when I turn the vacuum sealer to "moist food" so it sucks out the air slower, it wasn't slow enough to get a tight seal and stop the buttons from depressing. That being said, I wasn't all that patient since I have touchscreen Sonys that I primarily use. I can't even remember why I tried it on the Kindle. It's a timing thing. Once you get that down, you'll be golden.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #38
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
That's what I was thinking, but I just figured that maybe it was something that you could build up to.
I do not think your body can ever build up to 100 degrees C. Seriously. Try putting your hand into the steam from a kettle.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #39
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
I do not think your body can ever build up to 100 degrees C. Seriously. Try putting your hand into the steam from a kettle.
OT:
Well, actually a dry sauna may very well be 100 Celsius. Dry heat can in no way be compared to hot steam.
The type of sauna where you put water on the heater is usually around 60-80 Celsius. A steam sauna yet a little bit cooler (or less hot).
I'm from a sauna-lovong part of the world, but don't particularly enjoy them myself.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #40
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
I figure if people can walk on hot coals, they might be able to sit in a 100 C sauna.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #41
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I don't think so. They produce about as much heat as a watch, and most watches are water tight.
Hmm...I didn't know that.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #42
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
OT:
Well, actually a dry sauna may very well be 100 Celsius. Dry heat can in no way be compared to hot steam.
The type of sauna where you put water on the heater is usually around 60-80 Celsius. A steam sauna yet a little bit cooler (or less hot).
I'm from a sauna-lovong part of the world, but don't particularly enjoy them myself.
Aren't you comparing a sauna to a steam bath? I belonged to Vic Tanny years ago, and they had both saunas and steam baths, and I must say that the steam baths were much hotter. I couldn't last long in one of those.

Then Vic Tanny became a Ballys; then Ballys shut down. The gym I belong to now only has saunas, but the dope who built the place made two separate saunas--one for men and one for women. I basically have no more reason to go to the gym!
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #43
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
... the steam makes the perception of heat much more intense than in a dry sauna, so that is why it feels more hot when in reality it is not. If steam baths had the same temperature of a dry sauna, you skin would be scalded.

I think separating sexes in saunas is a bit too much... i can't think of a place less inviting for sexy thoughts as a sauna

Last edited by Salgueiros; 07-05-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #44
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Honestly, that would never occur to me, but now I'm sure I won't be taking my ereader into my sauna... unless I set it at 80 degrees (in which case I might as well just hang out outside and read...)
I was going to suggest that you actually LIVE in a sauna!

So in response to the O.P. - Just ask Grace.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #45
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
...The gym I belong to now only has saunas, but the dope who built the place made two separate saunas--one for men and one for women. I basically have no more reason to go to the gym!
Ya know, I'm beginning to like this guy.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-reader, heat damage, sauna