Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 AM   #136
nor11wan
nor11wan began at the beginning.

Device: none
HI there carbonize,thanks for the reply,sad to amid my rusty old brain fails to comprhend
the instruction given in your posting,the part that says:..Find the directory called...
How do I go about doing that?? Where is it hiding this directory ??
Apologise for this stupidity and ignorance I have completely no idea of the Android O/S
Btw:How do I name the folder containing those epub books!!
nor11wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:48 AM   #137
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nor11wan View Post
Find the directory called...
I don't have an android phone, but perhaps the directory (folder) does not yet exist. On the SD card, it should be eBooks/import - where eBooks is a folder and import is a sub-folder inside that folder. Under Windows this might look like eBooks\import, because "\" is the Windows folder separator but "/" is the same thing under Linux (or Android). If the eBook folder does not exist, then make it (don't forget the capital B). Once the eBook folder exists, goto that folder and, if the import folder does not exist in the eBooks folder, make it. Then copy your .epub files into that folder.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:49 AM   #138
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Quote:
:..Find the directory called...

When you connect your android phone to the PC, it probably asks if you want to charge or connect to pc, choose connect like storage device.
In Windows 'My Computer' (or how the place is called where you can see attached drives) look for the one that represents the SD Card, en open it.
Look for a folder named ebook, open it, there will be a folder inside it, named import, open it, and drag your drm free ebooks there ;-)
When done, don't forget to 'safely remove' your usb device (in XP that is a very small thingy on the right in the bar with the start button)
Disconnect phone, and start Aldiko. press menu button, choose import, and if all went well you will see your books appear on the bookshelf.
Silly that you have to use 1 specific folder, hope they fix that in the new version.

Greetings, and good luck, hope this makes some sense for you.

Wilco
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #139
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
E-Ink lovers may be familiar with CoolReader. Its developer Buggins has ported it into Android:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7wxc4d9catdx7uo

Last edited by Logseman; 12-10-2010 at 05:11 AM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:20 AM   #140
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
HI there carbonize,thanks for the reply,sad to amid my rusty old brain fails to comprhend
the instruction given in your posting,the part that says:..Find the directory called...
Apologise for this stupidity and ignorance I have completely no idea of the Android O/S
Sorry if I was not clear before.
Once you install aldiko it will create a folder ebooks in your phone. You must use a file browser to see it. Inside it their should be another folder named import if its not their you make a new folder and rename it to import.
So whenever you want to add books to calibre you just copy epubs to this import folder and then from inside aldiko click import books it will import these books into its library.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #141
tamole
tamole has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteepatootee View Post
OK I have my new android phone less than 24 hrs and I am becoming desperate. I MUST have an ebook program that auto scrolls like Mobipocket. It scrolls line by line and not page by page. I am at this point not even CARING what format, I will change my 1000's of books to what ever program will scroll this way! HELP! If I can't find one I will be selling this for a Windows phone. It is my number ONE priority!
Thanks
Alyce
Try Moon Reader. It has the smoothest autoscroll feature. I use it for epub books, but it reads a few other formats. Check my earlier post for a list.

tamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:18 AM   #142
nor11wan

Hi there all,thanks for the suggestions and help,I finally found my mistakes,did not realised that afterinstalling Aldiko a folder is already created,eBook,and file Import
I went to create a folder to downloaded those epub books and put them in SD card
Confusion says......
Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #143
nor11wan

Hi there gentlemen thanks for all your help and suggestions,I finally got Aldiko working
am building up a library now
thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #144
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Great!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:19 AM   #145
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Aldiko is soon to release their 2.0 version:
http://www.aldiko.com/blog/aldiko-bo...20-coming-soon
Quote:
* Read Adobe-DRMed ePub and PDF files
* Add ebooks from your local public library
* Import your own ebooks and documents
* Add your own catalogs
Should be an exciting release with many new useful features.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #146
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Aldiko is soon to release their 2.0 version:
http://www.aldiko.com/blog/aldiko-bo...20-coming-soon

Should be an exciting release with many new useful features.
That would be great but I really don't want DRM at ALL! If I can't strip it off immediately upon purchase or download then I don't want the book at all. I'll buy paper instead.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #147
wheatfree
wheatfree doesn't litterwheatfree doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel
The only reason I'm looking forward to the DRM version of aldiko is to be able to load library books for my sister-in-law. She wants a reader for that, but she also wants it to be a full android tablet, so she can play games on it.
wheatfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #148
zhleonix
zhleonix doesn't litterzhleonix doesn't litterzhleonix doesn't litter

Device: iPodTouch, Android
I am using both iPod touch and Android phone. I am wondering why no one implements a reader app with built-in offline dictionary like some apps in iOS, such as iBook, Nook, Kobo and Kindle etc.
zhleonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #149
kennyc

Because of the storage space and processing power needed. (this has been brought up before in 1 or more threads)
Old 12-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #150
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Because of the storage space and processing power needed. (this has been brought up before in 1 or more threads)
I'm not sure I buy that. Mobipocket has had these features on their clients for years now, developed when phones where far less powerful.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one