Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 03-27-2022, 03:41 AM   #1
graatch
Enthusiast
graatch began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, iPad 2 (Bluefire Reader); fire hd 10, Windows
Background resource usage by viewer much higher with my new display. Any way to tune?

Yes so as stated I recently upgraded to a 4k display. The viewer looks great -- reading this way is exhilarating -- the only problem is that the use of RAM and VRAM by each viewer instance in background is much higher now. Most epubs take ~550 mb as opposed to 150mb which is where they would generally max out beforehand. These resources are taken even if the viewer is not the primary window.

The dev is going to tell me "well just don't have multiple instances open" but that does impair my workflow. I just am wondering if any particular options will limit its footprint in this circumstance.

Thank you for considering it. Sorry if this is stupid/a mistake/etc.
graatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:10 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
quadruple the pixels, quadruple the ram usage. although this should be GPU vram not CPU ram. Are you running with non-hardware accelerated rendering?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2022, 08:51 PM   #3
graatch
Enthusiast
graatch began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, iPad 2 (Bluefire Reader); fire hd 10, Windows
>Are you running with non-hardware accelerated rendering?

Hmm, I'm not but there may be some offloading happening anyway with the nvidia settings, plus there's some weird Windows 10 bug stuff going on with the basic video display driver which works in some kind of tandem, so I might want to look into that again. Thanks for the reply.
graatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, display options, high definition, viewer, windows