Notices

Old 03-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
jasem200
Enthusiast
jasem200 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
CF vs MMC

Hi

can you advice me, which memory is better for use with iliad consedering power consumption and access speed. CF or MMC, sure usb is not the best was.

another Q, if i want to install addons to my iliad, shall be installed in one of the memorries, or it can be installed on main memory. and how.

because i tried to install the GPE from USB memory, and it was installed in the same USB memory in directoy called programs.

Thank you and
jasem200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't know the pros and cons of CF vs MMC, except that CF is larger and only CF allows you to unbrick the iLiad, see How to unbrick (reflash, restore, etc) your iLiad.

Most 3rd party programs get installed on the same filesystem where its installer program was placed (some don't even need an installer, and so copying it to the filesystem "installs" it there). It is usual for them to end up in Programs and it is easiest to put new 3rd party packages there. Some apps can be installed in "internal" memory, but I always use my CF card because the easiest recovery procedure of all is to reboot after removing the CF card. If this fixes a problem, then you can use an external CF reader/writer (inexpensive and well worth having in reserve) to remove the offending files. I have never needed this for 3rd party packages by the way (they are usually tested enough to be safe), but I did need this when I installed some fonts - if they had been in internal memory I would have had to reflash to recover.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasem200 View Post
can you advice me, which memory is better for use with iliad consedering power consumption and access speed. CF or MMC, sure usb is not the best was.
I had to make the same decision when I got my iLiad some weeks ago, and I decided to buy a Compact Flash card.

CF cards are much faster but consume a little bit more power. The power drain isn't tremendous IMO. There is a known bug with WiFi and CF: when you're using both at the same time the CF access is dramatically slow, but that constellation doesn't happen very often for me. Usually I don't notice any slowdown compared to the internal memory.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
jasem200
Enthusiast
jasem200 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I don't know the pros and cons of CF vs MMC, except that CF is larger and only CF allows you to unbrick the iLiad, see How to unbrick (reflash, restore, etc) your iLiad.
but I did need this when I installed some fonts - if they had been in internal memory I would have had to reflash to recover.
thank you guys for your help, i think i will go with the CF, but i have a Q why do i need fonts. and how can i install them.

thank you
jasem200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It isn't entirely safe to install your own fonts on the iLiad, and there is not much need to do so for "Latin" languages.

The MobiPocket Reader can only use one of two existing fonts, see Mobipocket Font Switcher. This is one of the areas where the iLiad is less capable than the Cybook, which allows user downloaded fonts in its Reader.

FBReader, like MobiPocket Reader, typically uses a single font for everything, but it can be any of the fonts installed on the device and it is possible to add new fonts for FBReader. I think PDF's can include embedded fonts, and there are several "type 1" fonts for PDFs already installed.
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
barney111
barney111 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3 iRex iLiad
Could I use both memory slots? say the 1gb mmc for programmes and the cf for my book collection your views would be appreciated

best

barney111
barney111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #7
M@rcel
Connoisseur
M@rcel began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney111 View Post
Could I use both memory slots? say the 1gb mmc for programmes and the cf for my book collection your views would be appreciated

best

barney111
That's exactly how I have it structured. No problem, I'm happy with my choice
M@rcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
how much additional power does the mmc draw? i've got a Transcend 8gb cf card (that says it uses low power) which hardly decreases the uptime, but are mmcs generally worse or better?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
barney111

Marcel which mmc card are you using I am finding it difficult to find one!!

Best
barney111
Old 11-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #10
M@rcel
Connoisseur
M@rcel began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad
Integral MMC plus 1GB
I bought it in the nearest retail store, here in Holland. They only had one in stock in an already opened package, so I got it for almost nothing
M@rcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Many SD cards (below 1GB ) are compatible with MMC. They are much cheaper and easier to be found in shop.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader

SD cards up to 1GB can be used in the MMC slot, see Iliad Memorycards list.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
SD cards up to 1GB can be used in the MMC slot, see Iliad Memorycards list.

I said below 1gb also means that 1gb included.

Last edited by ericshliao; 11-08-2008 at 11:30 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #14
barney111

Thanks all I have bought a 4gb Sandisk Ultra 2 cf card and a basic 1gb SD card
both work great.
However I have put my books on the CF card and through the device manager have set the book button to open at the CF card where all the books are situated.It opens at the book page but know books are visible whats wrong please?

Best

barney111
Old 11-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #15
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
The books button goes to the "books" folder on your card. If you did not put your books in that folder, you won't see them is you use the button.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote