Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #136
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNI View Post

I surely hope Rowling favors us with many more books, making this into a series.

Cheers

KNI
Me too.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #137
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:

I surely hope Rowling favors us with many more books, making this into a series.

Cheers

KNI
It is.
The second is scheduled for next summer.
Which means she is likely working on the third right now.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #138
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I don't see what the big deal is. She wanted to prove she wasn't a one-hit-wonder so she published something anonymously. When it turned out her name was worth more than her writing, she leaked the secret and made some money. That doesn't mean the new book was not good. It simply shows the value of brand. She has one that is worth something.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #139
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. She wanted to prove she wasn't a one-hit-wonder so she published something anonymously. When it turned out her name was worth more than her writing, she leaked the secret and made some money. That doesn't mean the new book was not good. It simply shows the value of brand. She has one that is worth something.
No, that's not what happened.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #140
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I can't find it. I've googled "Rowling The Cuckoo’s Calling suburban housewife in Surrey" and only got two relevant results, one from 21 hours ago and one from one day ago. The other search results seem to come up because of ads for stories about Rowling on pages that mention suburban, housewife or Surrey.

I've seen many stories that said that the tweet was anonymous, even as close as two days ago:

So can you give me a link to this story?
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...s-8714109.html
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #141
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Thanks. I don't understand why it was said that the tweet was anonymous if it came from @JudeCallegari.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #142
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Here's a pretty good article on this whole affair, including a bit of a timeline as well as quotes of the fateful tweets that set it all off:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...us-author.html
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #143
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
Here's a pretty good article on this whole affair, including a bit of a timeline as well as quotes of the fateful tweets that set it all off:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...us-author.html
All the articles that I've read before were saying that the tweet was from July 9th.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #144
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
All the articles that I've read before were saying that the tweet was from July 9th.
I think those articles are all wrong. I've attached a screenshot of India Knight's tweets, taken from Business Insider. In the attached screenshot you can clearly see they're from July 10th, corroborating the article from The Telegraph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen shot 2013-07-14 at 11.29.41 am.png
Views:	180
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	108454  
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #145
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I imagine that the Law Society (the professional oversight body for the legal profession in England) might well have something to say to the gentleman concerned about this breach of client confidentiality.
Pass the port, probably.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #146
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I finished reading the book and am eagerly waiting upon the arrival of the next one. I was never a fan of the Harry Potter Books, but this book is well worth reading. I highly recommend it.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #147
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I finished reading the book and am eagerly waiting upon the arrival of the next one. I was never a fan of the Harry Potter Books, but this book is well worth reading. I highly recommend it.
Apache
I too just finished the book. Took me longer than usual as I was trying to note things I never really note, such as style, descriptions etc.

Great use of language IMO, characters you could identify with for the most part, although quite a hodgepodge of character types.
Not really a spoiler story wise but might affect your reading of book.
Spoiler:
It's almost as if she had a list the typical reluctant police contact who is partners with a prehistoric dinosaur, the quiet but useful Watson type, the befuddled witnesses, and countless more
I was a bit disappointed in the ending. Too many things concluded at once with little lead in to some of them. I am sure that all the clues were carefully placed Agatha Christie style, and it was logical but just a bit too much all in one great chunk. I had a feeling of WTF I know you want to finish writing the book today, but maybe a nap would have helped.

A very good book if it was by a first author, and I've certainly read a lot I have enjoyed less.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #148
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I finished reading the book and am eagerly waiting upon the arrival of the next one. I highly recommend it.
Apache
Same here
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #149
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
The one discouraging factor - that some idiot publisher turned the book down, of course not knowing who really wrote it - but that a work of this quality could be rejected by any qualified publisher is truly an indictment of the publishing industry. No wonder so many newer authors go to self publishing via the electronic route.
It wasn't turned down for being badly written, but simply because the publisher didn't think it would sell well.
And, until JK Rowling's name was attached to it, it didn't sell well, so they were right.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #150
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
It wasn't turned down for being badly written, but simply because the publisher didn't think it would sell well.
And, until JK Rowling's name was attached to it, it didn't sell well, so they were right.
But it did not sell bad either for a new author. It sold OK.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote