Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Anyone tried to compile the firmware? Did you succeed?

Kobo has published the firmware (up to Wifi, I think - although it probably doesn't matter, as it's "only" the open source part) on GitHub.

I finally managed to clone the repository and started compiling.

All attempts so far have been met with failure.

Every time it stops at compiling QT. More specifically, it seems to be the "MOC" (whatever that is) which is faulty.

Or rather, there the problem arises - my knowledge of linux and compiling huge projects without a powerful IDE is limited, so maybe I'm looking at the wrong part.
But it looks to me as if the same compiler that built the tools (i.e. an x86 compiler) is trying to link the target libraries (compiled for ARM).
That would explain this message:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compiler
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/cyberman/Kobo/fs/lib/libdbus-1.so when searching for -ldbus-1
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/cyberman/Kobo/fs/lib/libdbus-1.so when searching for -ldbus-1
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldbus-1
(Apart from the incompatible, I think it's strange that /usr/bin is the used compiler, as the CodeSourcery-Compiler is somewhere else.)

So, anyone tried it yet? Any ideas what I might do to complete the compilation?

(I realize I didn't explain what exactly I did. I assume I didn't forget anything, and listing everything would probably be far too much.)
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
I'd like to try fiddling with the innards of my Kobo Touch, but I don't quite understand how to get access to the linux parts of the Kobo since all I can see is the 1.5GB vfat partition. With the kobo wifi, would you need to pop it open and grab the SD card to get at the linux folders?
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Note: This all applies to the Kobo Wifi!
I would assume it's similar for the touch, but that is just an uneducated guess.

To answer your question directly: NO, you don't need to open it. That would probably be a bad idea even, some others tried (with success) and reported the device isn't really made to be opened up (i.e. something might break).
It is possible to activate the telnet daemon that is compiled into BusyBox, read below.

I suggest you read through the Kobo-related entries on this blog:

http://blog.ringerc.id.au

Especially this:
http://blog.ringerc.id.au/2011/01/en...s-to-kobo.html

and perhaps this:

http://blog.ringerc.id.au/2011/01/pr...nment-for.html

However, both are currently offline it seems. Google cache still has them, fortunately.

There is another one that explains how to copy the entire disc, though I've yet to try that myself.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote