Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Love this poem, Kenny! I just checked out some of your other poems and am very impressed.

Thanks for the Poetry Foundation recommendations, fantasyfan and Tom. I just got the android app from Google Play.
Thank you and sorry for the off-topic.

and yes the Poetry Foundation is a great resource!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #32
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I finished Dubliners a few weeks ago, but I have been slowly reflecting upon everyone's insightful comments. Initially, I didn't like how the stories abruptly ended. They were so dark and gritty and full of despair. No happy endings here. However, I really enjoyed the detailed descriptions of the people and places that made one feel like looking at photographs as if you were there as an observer.

Then I realized that the stories were progressing in stages from childhood to adolescence, adulthood and eventually death. Then I did some research on Joyce and found the quote regarding paralysis. I also learned that Joyce was associated with naturalism, which meant his writing style conveyed the cold facts without emotion and interpretation inserted by the author. Now all that realistic description made sense, and I understood why the characters had epiphanies but the reader was left to infer that there would be no real change effected and life would go on as it had. I enjoyed the stories much more after those realizations.

I also appreciated the collection much more when I stepped back from the individual stories and considered the major themes (e.g. love, parent-child relationships, disappointments, wanting to escape Dublin either through alcohol or foreign countries). There was so much to compare and contrast between the stories when considered in these terms. Also, I thought about how some of these themes were represented in the different stages of maturity, such as the love of a young boy or girl versus married couples.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #33
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks for these great insights, Bookworm_Girl and others. Interesting food for thought.

Do get to see the Albatrosses, Belle. They are wonderful, majestic creatures. I'll talk to you by email.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #34
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Yes, my thanks also, Bookworm_Girl. I particularly appreciated your mention of naturalism.

Whatever we thought about Dubliners, there is no question that it gave us a lot to discuss.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #35
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Zombie thread, I know, but I thought I would append this with Stephen King's answer to the question "should teachers push kids to read more challenging books?" From this article "How Stephen King Teaches Writing", relevant quote is bolded (of course the last sentence is pretty good too. )
Quote:
King: You don’t want to leave them in despair, which is why it’s such a horrible idea to try teaching Moby-Dick or Dubliners to high school juniors. Even the bright ones lose heart. But it’s good to make them reach a little. They’ve got to see there are brighter literary worlds than Twilight. Reading good fiction is like making the jump from masturbation to sex.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #36
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2

BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #37
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
King's reaction to Stephenie Meyer and James Patterson always entertains me. Are there any other authors that he derides?
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote