Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It much somehow be able to discriminate that the device is a Kindle then is all I can presume.
I think it's the format - doesn't a Kindle PID have a "*" in it, or something like that?

Quote:
Edit: follow up.....I just tried it and was able to register just fine at BooksOnBoard. So my conclusion is that your statement is false.
BoB sell Mobi books using two different Mobi DRM vendors (they have two separate lists of device IDs); one of those two servers (which is the one that FictionWise also use) definitely does not accept Kindle PIDs. Perhaps the other one does?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I just tried at Fictionwise as well and it WILL NOT let me register my kindle PID.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #33
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What you were talking about was something totally different - DRM on library books. You are of course absolutely correct in saying that you don't have to remove the DRM in order to be able to read those on the Kindle, but that doesn't apply to stores using the Overdrive Mobi DRM servers (as, for example, BooksOnBoard do); with those books you would need to strip the DRM for the Kindle.
Back when the KindleFIX wiki page was still in existence, the practice book on how to get library books was a free book from BooksonBoard. It was a mobi book from the Overdrive server. We used the same script the same way with books from the library as we did with the book from BooksonBoard. The results were being able to read the book on the Kindle without stripping the DRM. The book could only be read on the Kindle whose PID was used.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Back when the KindleFIX wiki page was still in existence, the practice book on how to get library books was a free book from BooksonBoard. It was a mobi book from the Overdrive server. We used the same script the same way with books from the library as we did with the book from BooksonBoard. The results were being able to read the book on the Kindle without stripping the DRM. The book could only be read on the Kindle whose PID was used.
Thank you for clarifying that. I clearly misunderstood the way that it worked.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #35
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post

Thank you.
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #36
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, you are of course correct, but the issue is that (as you know) bookstores which sell DRM-Mobi books won't accept a Kindle PID, so the only way to read such books on a Kindle is to buy them with a different PID (eg that of Windows Mobi Reader), and then remove the DRM in order to read the book on your Kindle.
My Kindle PID is registered with BooksonBoard. I've only used it with freebies but they do accept Kindle PIDs with their mobi Overdrive server (OD). If you buy books from the regular mobi server (PX), then you would have to use a non-Kindle PID and strip the DRM to read the book on a Kindle.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #37
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying that. I clearly misunderstood the way that it worked.
Phew! Glad we got that figured out.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I just tried at Fictionwise as well and it WILL NOT let me register my kindle PID.
Shameful! In that case it's time to sell off the K2 and just stick to Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #39
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
When Fictionwise was using the Overdrive servers (they had 2 mobi servers just like BooksonBoard does now), you could use a Kindle PID (still had to use the same script though). When Overdrive dropped Fictionwise from it's client list, that ability went away.

In fact, the initial reason the Visual Kindle Guide wiki came into being was because there were so many people (mostly outside the U.S. before the International Kindles came into being) who wanted/needed to buy their Kindle content from Fictionwise and BoB, that the same questions were posted over and over. The threads for it were long and hard to follow. So I learned how to do it and got Leep and PilotBOb to help create a guide we could point to in order to get people up and running with Fictionwise and Library as easily and as quickly as possible.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #40
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Shameful! In that case it's time to sell off the K2 and just stick to Sony.
Well with the Kindle4PC available you very well may be right. But I do like the (hyper)link navigation much better on the Kindle than any of the Sony Readers or the Astak reader.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #41
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSmoke53 View Post
I have an eBook I purchased from the publisher circa 2006 in .prc format.. 1st record line is encoded as TEXtREAd not BOOKMOBI..

The book is Content encrypted not PID encrypted. I would like to deDrm it so I can read it on my new JetBook Lite reader. The book decrypts perfectly on the old Ipaq and PC using the standard MobiPocket reader, but the Jetbook can only handle nonDrm'd Mobi.

I have tried all flavors of Modidedrm V005 thru V009 and I get unrecognized file type errors. I tried manually changing the TEXtREAd to BOOKMOBI but this change caused more errors. Anyone know of a way to deCode the OLD Mobipocket format.
I'm having the exact same problem with a few Mobi files. They show as Content Encrypted when I open them in Mobipocket Reader. They open fine on a Kindle, and also on my EZ Reader, which does not support DRMed Mobi, but I get an error in calibre when I try to convert them to another format. They do not have a PID connected to them, so MobideDRM won't work.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to programming and code, but I follow directions well! If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can liberate these books, I'll be eternally grateful!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:04 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to programming and code, but I follow directions well! If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can liberate these books, I'll be eternally grateful!
Please DO NOT ask for help in removing DRM. It is against MR's policy to do so.

Thank you.

[Moderator]
Old 02-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #43
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Sorry, I didn't intend to break the rules, I'm just frustrated by a book (actually 2 books) that was sold as DRM-free and the Customer Service department of the publisher I bought it from has no explanation as to why calibre shows it as DRM protected.

Last edited by KarenH; 02-20-2010 at 01:07 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #44
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
We just have to wait until publishers remove DRM themselves, hehe.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #45
KarenH
Addict

I thought this one already had, and so did they - they ended up sending me the books in html though, so my problem's been solved, for now.