Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Goodreads Alternative Riffle Goes Live

Article here:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...goes-live.html

I've signed up. From my brief interaction with the site, it seems like it is more sharing focused than Goodreads. It very much encourages you to follow people, which is something that I don't find particularly interesting.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I signed up, couldn't figure out how to unfollow the people they'd assigned me to or un-recommend a book I'd clicked on by mistake.

Went looking for a way to give feedback. Found their "make a suggestion" forum, which is the only way to give feedback... there is no "contact us" button.

Found the most egregious rights-grab I've ever seen in a TOS, including not only the right to make derivative commercial use of anything you submit to them, but "UserVoice may share as it sees fit information that you voluntarily make public, including information that you post on any blogs, message boards, chat rooms or other similar forums, whether or not such forums are owned by UserVoice."

My blog post got a response from a staff member, who said that UserVoice just manages the forums, not Riffle itself. I pointed out that, with no TOS available on Riffle, I have no way to know that.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've spent a bit more time on the site, and it's really strange. I don't know where they are pulling their book info from, but of the six books I just tried to add to a list, only four were found, and there doesn't seem to be any way to add a book.

Unfollowing people is easy. Click the People tab at the top of the page, click the following link near the top left, and it will show all of the people you are "following." Below each name is a button that says "following," click it to unfollow.

I'm really surprised there isn't a FAQ available on the website anywhere. Not that I've found, anyhow.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Twitter or Facebook logins. What if you have neither?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I keep getting stuck on part three of the setup. When I click next to go to step four, it says that the page can't be found.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Twitter or Facebook logins. What if you have neither?
Then obviously you're not the kind of reader Riffle is looking for.

I can't think of this as anything like a "Goodreads alternative;" there's no way to comment on anything. It's just a collection of rec lists. It may eventually expand (presumably, they won't want to rely on twitter/fb forever), but right now it's counting on the pretty-picture factor of bookcovers to make it seem interesting.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard

The whole thing is pretty sucky. I find no discernible benefits to this over Goodreads.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I finally got it to go past stage three after God knows how many attempts. So far, it doesn't look impressive. I still like the setup of Goodreads better.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Looks pretty dodgy, I'll give this a miss.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Thanks to all who reported in on this. I'll give it a pass. Goodreads is still good in my book and I'll stick with that.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm one who doesn't have a facebook or twitter account, so I'll be giving it a pass as well since I can't even get into the site to browse around.
I'll still use Goodreads and hope their purchase by Amazon doesn't add too much bias to their system.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I'm keeping an eye on http://join.thirdscribe.com/
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I'm keeping an eye on http://join.thirdscribe.com/
Ooh, interesting; thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #14
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I left Goodreads when Amazon bought it out. So I'm on the lookout for a decent alternative.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I signed up, couldn't figure out how to unfollow the people they'd assigned me to or un-recommend a book I'd clicked on by mistake.

Went looking for a way to give feedback. Found their "make a suggestion" forum, which is the only way to give feedback... there is no "contact us" button.

Found the most egregious rights-grab I've ever seen in a TOS, including not only the right to make derivative commercial use of anything you submit to them, but "UserVoice may share as it sees fit information that you voluntarily make public, including information that you post on any blogs, message boards, chat rooms or other similar forums, whether or not such forums are owned by UserVoice."

My blog post got a response from a staff member, who said that UserVoice just manages the forums, not Riffle itself. I pointed out that, with no TOS available on Riffle, I have no way to know that.
I've read your blog post.

At least in Europe, they will not be able to claim those rights. Here, the law supersedes ANY Terms of Service or End User License Agreement. If I publish something, somewhere, I have the copyright, and you're not allowed to use the publication in any way, except when I clearly state that you can do so.

I rather can't believe that this would be otherwise in the US. It's impossible to believe that a company can state that they are free to do whatever they want, with anything you publish on whatever site.

Even if you find a site on which someone called "Katsunami" posts something, you can't be sure it's me. It's a made up nick. Katsunami.com is not my site. DJ Katsunami is not me. I can't be sure if Katsunami.com is actually DJ Katsunami's website, though that site seems to be about music.

That TOS is impossible, as this company would practically be able to own the information in the entire internet, by stating that it was posted by one of its users.

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-08-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote