Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Do you like Agatha Christie?

I went through my reader today going through some of my free downloads and purging a little. I looked up a summary on Amazon, deleted at once if I felt like I would never read it, and for most of the others I was on the fence about, gave it a good ten pages or so.

And...I think I don't really like Agatha Christie. I have read extensively in the mystery genre, both classic and more contemporary stuff. I love Poe. I love Conan Doyle. I appreciate that Christie has an important place in things. But...I just wasn't feeling it. There were other things I'd rather read. Her sentences, especially in the Poirot stuff, felt long and clumsy. I just wasn't terribly interested in what was going on.

I feel a little bit guilty about this. I feel like, reader that I am, mystery fan that I am, I *should* like Christie more than I seemed to. Maybe I just wasn't reading the right ones, I know only the first three are legit freebies. So am I missing something? Should I start with other ones, maybe? Or, given the vast quantity of unread books in my to read pile, should I just put Christie aside, guilt-free, and move on with my reading life?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:22 AM   #2
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i think agatha christie is okay, but i prefer dorothy l sayers, robert b parker or even ngaio marsh, who is often compared to christie. i'd move on to something you enjoy. after all, isn't that why we read mysteries?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
A pal of mine is President of the Agatha Christie Society in the UK and he keeps singing her praises and recommending books. Must admit, though, that I find her work contrived, twee and lacking in any literary value. Mind you, three generations of avid Christie readers can't all be wrong, so I excuse my lack of enthusiasm by reminding myself that appreciation of literature is entirely subjective and that if we all had similar tastes what's on offer would be tremendously restricted. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:40 AM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Sometimes I find I need a 'gateway' work to help me appreciate a writer.

It took me a long time to get into Agatha Christie - but when I read 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' it all clicked into place for me; and I've enjoyed most of the Christie's I've read since.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

It took me a long time to get into Agatha Christie - but when I read 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' it all clicked into place for me; and I've enjoyed most of the Christie's I've read since.
Yes, I agree with you. "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" is an excellent way into Christie, as is "And Then There Were None" (aka "Ten Little Niggers" or "Ten Little Indians", depending upon the political correctness of the time of publication). This latter book is, it's interesting to note, the best selling mystery book of all time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I do love her. I was listening to NPR the other day though and mystery author P.D. James was discussing Sayers and Christie. She prefered Sayers since she was more realistic, she mentioned that with Christie you had to suspend reality.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
Bob T
Enthusiast
Bob T began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

Interesting...thanks!
I may have to give that one a go.

I tried a couple Christie books in my youth, didn't like them and never went back...

Bob T.
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
Interesting...thanks!
I may have to give that one a go.

I tried a couple Christie books in my youth, didn't like them and never went back...

Bob T.

DON'T GOOGLE IT!!!!! Just buy it. Trust me on this one.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
DON'T GOOGLE IT!!!!! Just buy it. Trust me on this one.
Definitely. This is one book that you do not want to know anything about before reading. It was the book which (justifyably) made Christie's name as a crime writer.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
I only liked Christie when I was a kid. But if you were to give another one a shot, Tne Little Niggers would be a good one to try I think. Certainly close to the best.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
I only liked Christie when I was a kid. But if you were to give another one a shot, Tne Little Niggers would be a good one to try I think. Certainly close to the best.
Generally called "And Then There Were None" these days. All the usual bookstores sell it.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Generally called "And Then There Were None" these days. All the usual bookstores sell it.
Sold now at Fictionwise for $5.99 or $5.09 with a good micropay rebate and jk25 code gives yet another 25% off.

So go for it.

https://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b...Christie/?si=0
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
And...I think I don't really like Agatha Christie. I have read extensively in the mystery genre, both classic and more contemporary stuff. I love Poe. I love Conan Doyle. I appreciate that Christie has an important place in things. But...I just wasn't feeling it. There were other things I'd rather read. Her sentences, especially in the Poirot stuff, felt long and clumsy. I just wasn't terribly interested in what was going on.

I feel a little bit guilty about this. I feel like, reader that I am, mystery fan that I am, I *should* like Christie more than I seemed to.
Silly goose. Reading is a highly personal experience.

It doesn't matter if you like her or not. You tried her..........now enjoy the author you do like reading.

Not caring for a specific author's work in no way reflects on your judgment.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:01 AM   #14
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
This is probably an unusual take - my mom loved Agatha Christie, we had all her books around the house when I was growing up. I tried all the different ones, but found I didn't like Hercule Poirot; Miss Marple was "ok", but Tommy and Tuppence caught my imagination. So I read most of those (years ago, really should go back and do them again...), and didn't bother with the rest.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #15
jhoff80
Enthusiast
jhoff80 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
This is probably an unusual take - my mom loved Agatha Christie, we had all her books around the house when I was growing up. I tried all the different ones, but found I didn't like Hercule Poirot; Miss Marple was "ok", but Tommy and Tuppence caught my imagination. So I read most of those (years ago, really should go back and do them again...), and didn't bother with the rest.
I actually was similar, but different when I was younger. I hated Miss Marple, never read the Tommy and Tuppence stuff, and loved Hercule Poirot stuff.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote