Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Tragic news about Patricia

This is certainly the hardest thing I've ever had to write, and my heart is very heavy trying to find the words.

I am very sad to have to tell you that Patricia has died after 2 weeks in hospital. Her partner requested that this be kept private while she was ill, but he has given me permission to share this news now and I felt that her friends would want to know.

She was loved by so many of us for her kindness, intelligence, humour, wit... for the beautiful books she so generously made and shared with us, for the even-tempered perspective she brought to all discussions, for her readiness to help, for her compassion and the friendship she showed us. She was at the heart of MobileRead, one of the people who made it the place it is, one of the reasons I (and many of us, I know) wanted to spend time here.

She will be sorely missed. Some of us in Paris got to know her personally when she came to our meetups and we will always feel her absence now.

Words can't express my grief knowing that I won't see her again and I know that many of you who knew her well will share it. I am sorry to bring such tragic news. Today is a dark day and we are all poorer for the loss of one of the finest souls I have ever known, someone I was happy and privileged and proud to count as my dear friend.

Please feel free to share some stories and memories of Patricia here to honour her, if you like. I think she would have liked that.

UPDATE :

I have sent the link to this thread to Patricia's partner who shared it with her sister and daughter and they are all very moved by all your heartfelt words. i wish i had the eloquence of some of you ; you all seem to speak from my heart so much better than i can right now.

i also asked if there were any charities we might give to, in Patricia's name. after discussing it, Patricia's family has proposed three, the combination of which would best represent Patricia :

Gingerbread (which helps single parents, and which did help Patricia),
http://www.gingerbread.org.uk/portal...portal/Website

the Stroke Association (which helps stroke victims - in a way, this is what Patricia was)
http://www.stroke.org.uk/

and Medical Aid for Palestine.
http://www.map-uk.org/

According to her partner, the tradition in the UK is that cheques are sent to the funeral directors, who would then send donations to those charities. However since we are such an international population, this may not be practical for everyone, so i've included direct links to the charities sites. When i have the information about the funeral director i will add it here, as well.

UPDATE 2

pilotbob has set up a donation page :
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I have created a Donation Page which will split your domain in Memorium of Pat evenly among the three charities requested by her family.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/PatClark

You can make your donation on line with a credit card. I hope this helps people make a donation to all three charities in one pass.

BOb
UPDATE 3

Here is the information about Patricia's funeral arrangements, if anyone in the UK would like to attend the service :

Quote:
The Memorial Service for Pat will be held at 12.30 on Thursday 16 September in the Wenalt Chapel, Thornhill Crematorium. Participants are requested not to bring flowers, but donations can be made to any of three charities (Gingerbread, the Stroke Association and Medical Aid for Palestinians), c/o Tovey Bros Funeral Directors, 9/11 Cardiff Road, Newport NP20 2EH. A collection will also be made on the day.
The Memorial Service will be followed by a private burial for close family only.

Please do circulate news about the Memorial Service to anyone you think might be interested.

Pat has also already received a rather unusual form of e-commemoration. She was a keen participant in the Mobile Read Forum, a web-site which circulates free (and legal!) copies of electronic books. Usually the tone of the contributions is either light-hearted and/or geeky, but the section devoted to Pat is rather different.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...39#post1095039
Thornhill Crematorium is in Cardiff, Wales, for those unfamiliar with it. Thanks Sparrow for suggesting I clarify that.

http://www.remembranceonline.co.uk/m...ll-crematorium

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 09-09-2010 at 11:30 AM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
She was already missed, but I always thought she would eventually be back. Please give my deepest condolences to her partner.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
This is terribly sad news, Condolences to her family and all who knew her.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
This is very sad news.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
I'm so very sorry. I'm still fairly new here, so can't claim to have known Patricia well, but it's clear from your tribute that she was a very special person.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Thanks for the news and the beautifully written memorial Zelda.

I recall Patricia very well from my earlier days here on MR and she was unfailingly welcoming, courteous and interesting in discussions. I am the proud owner of a number of books she converted.

Our community will be diminished by her loss. RIP
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Patricia was kind, giving and helpful.

For me, this one simple thread, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78210, does more to illustrate her character than any words I could write now.

She responded to the request of a stranger with the heart of someone willing to do as much as possible.

May her spirit find joyous adventures.
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Every community has a culture, and the culture is a reflection of the personalities of the founders. Patricia was here when I came on board, as a poster, moderator, and tireless converter of books to ebook format for the rest of us to read and treasure.

She was unfailingly welcoming to new members, courteous to all, and creator of posts that were always worth reading. For me, she was a large part of what made MobileRead the place it is, and that place is a very fine thing indeed.

I never had the opportunity to meet her in person, but I felt honored and enriched by knowing her electronically. I'll miss her a lot, and can only hope to live up to the example she set in my own activity.

Farewell, Patricia. If there's a better place after this life, I'm sure you're in it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'm so very sorry to hear this news.
I'll never forget Patricia's many kindnesses and her generosity - she was all that was best of Mobileread.
My thoughts are with her family and friends.

Zelda, this must have been so tough for you to tell us - thank you, and my sincere commiserations to you, and all the mods who worked with her.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
This is very terrible indeed. She helped me out on more than one occasion. This is a very sad day for MobileRead. She was the best!

I've only uploaded one ebook to MR, nothing like the vast numbers Patricia has uploaded over the years, but when I had questions about how to do it, Patricia was the one I turned to, and she was only too willing to help.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-05-2010 at 05:00 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
OMG. I'm so sorry to hear this. Condolences and healing thoughts to all who knew and loved her!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I feel a great loss.

Patricia uploaded a number of works simply because I requested that she look up a few authors. She was unfailingly generous.

I'll say a prayer for her tonight.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I am deeply saddened by this news of Patricia's passing. Patricia was a rock of MR, a very mature, warm, intelligent, kind, disciplined, stable presence. Once I mentioned a book to her that was not yet in the MR ebook archive, and the next day she had already made one and uploaded it. It always amazed me how she can make all those ebooks and read them to boot. She was the type of person whom you wanted to be your friend. I will miss her. Rest in peace, Patricia.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
This is truly tragic news.

Patricia was always a sensitive voice and it was her gentleness of spirit that is one of the reasons I love to come to MR when life allows the time. I will dearly miss her.

Zelda, please relay to her partner how much we all valued Patricia's selflessness and kindness here at MR and how incredibly sad we are at her passing.

May God bless you and keep you, dearest Patricia.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Condolences and courage to her family. May she rest in peace.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote