Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
paulrw
Enthusiast
paulrw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Oasis, iPhone, iPad, PC
Unhappy Lost books

I am new to calibre, having discovered it through stanza. First reaction was how good it was, obviously written by someone who actually uses ebooks, and going a long way to encouraging me to get a dedicated reader - I have always used a smart phone up to now, but suffered from incompatible formats that made me have to use multiple applications to read the different file types. Calibre offered me a way of consolidating and converting my ebooks which means I can buy a reader on merit rather than supported format. I have spent many hours this week importing books and setting up metadata, so imagine my happiness to find Calibre freezing, and then responding with about 120 books missing.
most, but not all of the missing books are in the waste basket. I have tried restoring them and running "check database integrity", but it doesn't see them. Obviously I can re-import them, but I really want to recover the metadata which I have spent hours over. Any suggestions?
On an associated note, how about a backup facility?
paulrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
You can copy calibre's folder and store in a safe place, using your OS's folder and filename tree. You can do the same using calibre's Send to Device function. I have an automatic online back up service that has versioning (Carbonite) so I just don't worry about it since I can go online to retrieve an earlier version (as long as it's been no more than a month since the back up was made). If you do your own backups, you can retain versions forever if you want. I recommend a combination of both automatic, temporary backups and permanent, manual back ups.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 07-23-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
You can also use Dropbox. I have 3 computers synced to my Dropbox account. That means I have 4 copies of my Calibre folder (1 on each computer and 1 in the clouds). You just have to make sure you don't have Calibre open on more than 1 computer at a time.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote