Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
Question funky battery meter

Ok well here's the deal...

I got my PP last Monday and took it out of the box and flashed the firmware to the latest version. Then used it for a few hours while on the charger and left it to charge overnight. Then with normal use, for me that is, of about 4 to 6 hrs a day (I can't seem to put it down) the battery meter finally dropped to one bar the following Monday evening. I powered it down at that point to swap the SD card for another one and move some books around. When I powered it back up the meter was showing almost a full charge again, witch I didn't understand. So back on the charger it went being used for a couple of hrs before sitting on the charger overnight once again. After two hours of use the next day the battery meter had dropped to 1/2 charge and today has dropped again. Now each time I have charged it I did get the lightening bolt icon on the display and the red flashing light that did turn to solid green before it came off the charger. I'm wondering if I did something wrong when I didn't charge it for 12 hrs right off the bat, I just couldn't wait that long to start using it to read with. And if I did is there anyway to reset the voltage sensing algorithm.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Did you ever see the "Plug" instead of the Lightning bolt? That is the Full symbol.

Did you check the Batter wire plug (under the door) to confirm it is fully seated in the socket?

Some "bounce" (1 bars worth) is normal, just like the fuel gauge in a car, various conditions change the readings slightly, moment to moment.
My PEz is now 5 months old, and I see this occasionally. Just another reason to not wait another week to recharge
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

[QUOTE=theducks;805615]Did you ever see the "Plug" instead of the Lightning bolt? That is the Full symbol.
[\QUOTE]

I didn't look for that the first time I charged it. I did see it last night while reading then even though it was plugged in with the green led lit it the plug symbol went away.

Quote:
Did you check the Batter wire plug (under the door) to confirm it is fully seated in the socket?
No. I never opened it but I will check.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
kdf9511
Madman With A Box

I had another good one with the battery meter today.

The unit had gotten down to 1/2 the bars on the meter last night so I plugged it in and charged it for about 8 or 9 hrs. I did get the lightening bolt when I pluged it it. But when I went to take it off the charger the green led was lit solid and instead of the plug symbol on the battery meter it just showed a full charge and when I removed it from the charger the meter dropped to 3 bars and didn't restore to 4 bar full charge for a couple of hours.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
I had another good one with the battery meter today.

The unit had gotten down to 1/2 the bars on the meter last night so I plugged it in and charged it for about 8 or 9 hrs. I did get the lightening bolt when I plunged it it. But when I went to take it off the charger the green led was lit solid and instead of the plug symbol on the battery meter it just showed a full charge and when I removed it from the charger the meter dropped to 3 bars and didn't restore to 4 bar full charge for a couple of hours.
Are you using the Wall socket charger? Does the outlet lose power at night (light switch )?
Otherwise call Astak support. this is not normal
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
kdf9511
Madman With A Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Are you using the Wall socket charger? Does the outlet lose power at night (light switch )?
Otherwise call Astak support. this is not normal

No I have been using a Motorola phone charger that is a standard usb charger. I am going to try the supplied wall charger on the next charge and see what happens....

I know it's not loosing power over night as it's plugged into my ups. I did a load test on this charger once just out of curiosity and know that it puts out a good steady clean voltage.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

The Astak Wall charger can put out a full 1 Amp of power.
This is twice the maximum a standard USB socket is allowed (Limited).
Add to that, some computers do not support ALL sockets IN USE at the rater 0.5 Amp at the same time.
Your Motorola charger may have a lessor rating than even 0.5A Output (Mine is 0.1A, non-USB)

The Initial 8-12 charge should be done with the Astak (or similar rated) charger (and only a single device attached, to get full power.)
Old 03-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
No such thing as a standard USB charger!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
No I have been using a Motorola phone charger that is a standard usb charger. I am going to try the supplied wall charger on the next charge and see what happens....

I know it's not loosing power over night as it's plugged into my ups. I did a load test on this charger once just out of curiosity and know that it puts out a good steady clean voltage.
Dear kdf:

This is a huge misconception. People think that all USB chargers are the same. They are not. Many of them run at far different amps and voltages.

WHY on earth try using a charger from a cell phone when we give you one made for the device in the box? You may have damaged the battery or the device. And you may be nullifying the warranty.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
jess4276
jess4276 began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro Maroon
Be careful! I highly recommend NOT using another charger unless it's made for the device you want to charge. Speaking from experience I had a Palm a few years back and it took the same style of charger as my previous ereader (eBookwise 1150). I got the chargers mixed up and accidentally plugged my ereader charger into the Palm and it fried my Palm. Literally fried, it heated up and melted some of the internal parts.
jess4276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
USB chargers should be 5V (with a 5% accepted differential). Amperages may vary, but the voltage shouldn't go over the 5% leeway. If it does, then it's not a USB charger (at least not for USB 2.0/1.1 devices).

As for amperage, just check the label (provided it's correct) and make sure that the charger doesn't put out more than 500 mA (or 0.5 A). Seeing how the output of the included charger is a possible 1 A, I would assume any other USB charger @ 5V with 0.5 A to 1 A of output should suffice.

With that said, I do have a very similar USB wall charger that I use with my PP instead of plugging in the included one. It works to charge my other USB devices and also is rated at 0.5 A to 1 A. No problems with it.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #11
kdf9511
Madman With A Box

Before I get into this a little background. I am currently an electronic technician in the telecommunications field. I have been working with electronics for over 20 years both designing circuits and building equiment to field repair and quality control for custom cirruit and equip manufactures. I also happen to hold a US Amateur Radio License and build power supplies and battery charging circuits.

So I didn't just grab something that had the right plug and hoped it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear kdf:

This is a huge misconception. People think that all USB chargers are the same. They are not. Many of them run at far different amps and voltages.
Like I stated in my post I have load tested this charger and it puts out a very stable 5 vdc with a min amount of ac induce ripple and is rated for 550ma or aprox 1/2 amp. The supplied battery witch is a 3.7v 1000mAh battery should not be charged at a rate of more than C/5 witch in this case would be 200ma. The USB standard also happens to be 550ma max current draw so the reader should by design not draw more current than that at any time or risk the possibility of damage to your computer if the current drain on the 5V Vbus is grater than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
WHY on earth try using a charger from a cell phone when we give you one made for the device in the box? You may have damaged the battery or the device. And you may be nullifying the warranty.
The other reason that I have done this is that I have not load tested the transformer unit that was supplied with the reader. I have had problems with burning up equipment with unknown wall warts like this one before. I also did not want to use it until I had had a chance to see if it produced RFI (radio frequency interference). The last USB wall wart I used wiped out a good portion of the 20meter amateur radio band and I wanted to be able to read while listening for contacts.

And this is why this battery meter is driving me nuts....