Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
cassle
Enthusiast
cassle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, iPhone
Is There Any Way to Buy Sony / Borders Gift Cards With Paypal?

I just wondering, can I buy sony/ borders gift cards to buy ebooks at connect store with paypal? How can I do so? Thanks.
cassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
That would be great especially for people who do not live in the US or have a US address. With the internet I think more and more companies should took to a worldwide market allowing cross country purchasing on legitimate purchases .. some things should be questioned ie prescriptions, chemicals etc. but electronics, and other stuff, I often want to buy stuff from amazon.com but they will not ship to Canada, but Amazon.ca does not carry most items not books ie Kindle that just seems crazy... I have ordered books from Amazon.com when I live in Japan, Turkey and Germany..why not all there other stuff?
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
dweller
dweller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle DXi, Apple iPad 64GB 3G
I'd love to know if there's a way to do this.

I'm in Australia and the only way I have found to buy off the Sony ebook store is incredibly convoluted. Right now, I need to:
1. Buy virtual credit card from http://www.unlinq.com/vc_faq.html their cards have a local US adddress and Sony's AVS check lets them through.
2. Only way to fund these virtual cards seems to be buying these "egold" type online currencies so I end up buying a ton of pecunix.com currency.

All up this process adds around 15% extra in processing fees, and is really really roundabout and annoying.

What's more annoying is that Sony explicitly check AVS on credit cards now so using my own cards don't work since they deny non US (or presumably non-UK) addresses. They also deny cards that don't respond to AVS queries, heh.

I really don't understand why they make it so hard for people to make them money
dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
cassle
Enthusiast

@dweller: but you still could buy some ebooks through that way right? Well, I guess I'll follow your way first because I live in Indonesia..

@sminarovich: yess... I agree with you.. Somehow they makes us keep wondering why they do so..
Old 09-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
A member called leapinggnome (I think) used to buy giftcard for people via paypal.

I've not seen him post in a while though.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
I used to buy gift cards from leaping gnome awhile ago, but I think he told me he was "retiring" I don't think he is a mobileread member anymore.
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
dweller
dweller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle DXi, Apple iPad 64GB 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassle View Post
@dweller: but you still could buy some ebooks through that way right? Well, I guess I'll follow your way first because I live in Indonesia..
Yes the virtual CC method works fine. I've only tested it buying a single $8 book off the sony store right now - but it worked fine once you jump through the hoops of getting the card organised.

I would suggest if you're going to do this, buy the electronic gift vouchers within the Sony store that way you don't have to worry about the virtual CC expiring (they're only valid for 2 months).

I'm trying to fund $200 into a new virtual CC number now to buy two of the $100 Sony vouchers that should last me a while
dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
cassle
Enthusiast

@dweller: where I could buy the electronic gift vouchers? Do they accept paypal?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
Bren423
Bren423 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 & iPod Touch
Leaping Gnome is retiring? Ohh, that's too bad. He helped me buy the Sony gift cards before and I paid him via paypal. Maybe there's some other members who can help?
Bren423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
cassle
Enthusiast

It's too bad.. I even haven't knew him yet!! So.. anyone could help?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've sent a message to Leaping Gnome, to ask whether he is still providing this useful service.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Thanks for the heads-up on this thread Patricia. Yes, I still buy gift codes for people pretty often, in fact I just bought one earlier today for someone! Last time I counted I have bought over $25,000 in gift codes for Mobilereaders.

I don't post much on Mobileread any more but I do still read the front page a couple of times a week and I get email notification whenever someone sends me a private message.

If anyone needs gift codes for the Sony Connect store just shoot me a PM and we can arrange an exchange via Paypal.

Last edited by Leaping Gnome; 09-11-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #13
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Glad to see you are still about Leaping Gnome. :-)
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
mrspoons
mrspoons began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome View Post
If anyone needs gift codes for the Sony Connect store just shoot me a PM and we can arrange an exchange via Paypal.
Cant seem to PM you - maybe its because I've just joined?

Anyway - if you're reading this would you be able to drop me a PM?

Ta
mrspoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspoons View Post
Cant seem to PM you - maybe its because I've just joined?

Anyway - if you're reading this would you be able to drop me a PM?

Ta
New members should be able to send PMs, mrspoons.
What sort of problem are you having with the PM system?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote