Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Is the Sony Library Software really this Bad?

I've now wasted two days trying without success to get my new PRS-505 authorized via the Library software. Without Fiddler2, the Library can't locate the WEB site to which it's trying to connect. With Fiddler2, it can find the site, but the "Create an account" process never completes.

Connection to te Sony Bookstore itself is extremely slow when it even exists.

Sony's support procedure steers me to an email support process. Sony responds to my support email by pointing out that "No data (including email correspondence) sent over public Internet channels can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.", and suggests that I contact them by phone.

When I contact them by phone, they admit they have many problems with their site, they don't know what's wrong, but they're certain that the new site "will fix everything".

Unhappily, the new site seems to have fixed nothing. I am still unable to authorize.

If this persists, what do I lose? Does remaining unauthorized simply mean I can never purchase from the Sony WEB store, or am I also forfeiting my warranty also?

Unhappily, I have tried Kindle, and so far I much prefer the PRS-505 ereader. However, the difference between the Amazon book store and Sony's seems to me like the difference between chicken salad and chicken sh**. Am I alone in this?
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Yes, it is that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmathprog View Post
Unhappily, I have tried Kindle, and so far I much prefer the PRS-505 ereader. However, the difference between the Amazon book store and Sony's seems to me like the difference between chicken salad and chicken sh**. Am I alone in this?
That's a good one.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It is definitely something on your end. It works fine here on my computer, my wife's computer and it even works on my mother's laptop. So what the problem is, I do not know. But, have you tried removing ever single thing that starts up that is NOT part of the operating system?

The new store is snappier and responds faster then the previous version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
If this persists, what do I lose? Does remaining unauthorized simply mean I can never purchase from the Sony WEB store, or am I also forfeiting my warranty also?
Yes... you won't be able to buy from the Sony store. There is no need to authorize the reader for the warranty to be valid.

Quote:
However, the difference between the Amazon book store and Sony's seems to me like the difference between chicken salad and chicken sh**. Am I alone in this?
You are correct. Although the new Sony store seems to be a bit faster... it is still no where close to the Kindle book store... which has years of experience from the pbook side. Also content and price are superior at the Kindle store.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is definitely something on your end. It works fine here on my computer, my wife's computer and it even works on my mother's laptop. So what the problem is, I do not know. But, have you tried removing ever single thing that starts up that is NOT part of the operating system?
It probably is... however, I have seen several others with this problem. One of them said they spent hours on the phone with Sony support and it still wasn't resolved. You would think an issue like this would be escalated to the dev's in order to resolve it.

I would be interested to see the Fiddler log... navigate to the login screen... clear the Fiddler console, then attempt to login. Then show use the Fiddler log. This will tell us if the software ever made the request or not.

BOb

BOb
Advert
Old 11-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bob, looking at the Fiddler log is a really good idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
drmathprog
Connoisseur

I would be interested to see the Fiddler log... navigate to the login screen... clear the Fiddler console, then attempt to login. Then show use the Fiddler log. This will tell us if the software ever made the request or not.

I browsed to the login page, and then cleared the Fiddler console. I then click on "Register", and the circling arrows begin. The Fiddler log remains blank. Before I cleared it, the log is full of chit chat between me and the Sony site. This apparently means that the Sony Library never sends my Register request?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
I own both a Kindle and a Sony 505. My preferred device is the Kindle, but since hubby bought the lighted cover for me, it's the one I take to bed with me each night. I've gone so far as loading the same book on both devices and just finding my place when I pick up the other reader.

And, I do agree with you about the stores. I may *never* buy a current release for the Sony if I have to buy from the Sony store. It's just too easy to buy a book at the Amazon store -- even with my browser!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I browsed to the login page, and then cleared the Fiddler console. I then click on "Register", and the circling arrows begin. The Fiddler log remains blank. Before I cleared it, the log is full of chit chat between me and the Sony site. This apparently means that the Sony Library never sends my Register request?
That's what it looks like. Are you clicking the "login" button. Yea silly questions I know. But yes.. if when you press the button, nothing shows in Fiddler then the request is not getting sent to Sony.

BOb
Old 11-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
drmathprog
Connoisseur

Yes, I click on the "Login" button. Very strange that nothing gets sent.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I had that too a while ago.
I'd suggest to redownload the software (since it had an update) here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PRS505.

After that you need to make sure you got the latest firmware on your device(the sony library software will auto-notify you about that).

It took me 2 times to make it work right (including a reboot).
I read somewhere on the web here that Sony was into the transition to a newer website, so I waited a day and the next day it worked perfectly!
What I prefer of the Sony Library above Calibre is that it has a good way of showing 2 pages next to eachother on fullscreen.
You can use it as a reader to read 2 pages at a time, where as Calibre just one page does not fit on my screen. (I have a resolution of 1280x800).

As far as the store everything works perfect, only it is a bit slow. Like it takes less then 2 seconds to load in my browser, and the library little more then 5 seconds.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
After that you need to make sure you got the latest firmware on your device(the sony library software will auto-notify you about that).
I'm not quite sure how this applies. You can download and use the eBook Library software without even having a Sony reader.

BOb
Old 11-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
yes, but the library will tell you when you plug in a Sony reader with an older firmware.
When I ignored this, I couldn't do much with the library untill I upgraded, or disconnected the device.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
After much researching -- I've purchased the PRS-505. I should have it this coming Tuesday.

I've gone to the Sony site, downloaded the library software and tried to install.

I go through the usual install routine (accept the EULA, default install location, next, next, I agree, next, blah, blah, blah...)

However -- I get the following error message:

------------------------------
Install Wizard Completed

The wizard was interrupted before eBook Library by Sony could
be completely installed.

Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at
another time, please run setup again.

Click Finish to exit the wizard.
-------------------------------

What gives? Anti-virus/spyware stuff is deactivated, Windows is booting clean (I'm a stickler about that) -- OS is Vista Home Premium 64bit. Plenty of RAM and HD (8GB and 1TB).

Redownloading the software package is also producing futile results.

Any ideas? I honestly don't plan on purchasing any books from Sony. But I do want to tweak the firmware and tinker around with the various hacks/customizations from here. Do I really need this software?
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlexian View Post
OS is Vista Home Premium 64bit. Plenty of RAM and HD (8GB and 1TB).

Do I really need this software?
The installer doesn't work on 64bit OS. I think there is a thread here somewhere about how to get it working/installed on 64bit.

No you don't need it at all if you won't be buying from the Sony store. Although you will need it if you plan to use Adobe Secure books on the Sony. Once again, there is a thread where someone outlines how to get it working on 64bit. These things should be put on the Wiki if they are not already.

BOb