Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Ownership in the Digital Age

Dear Author does it again - posts about law cases and trends that have implications beyond what we'd normally be concerned with.

If we don't have right of resale on digital items, then we don't truly own them. And if we're only leasing them, why are we paying full price for them?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes those are the two main issues and have been from the beginning from what I see. Of course I come from a software background where these have been issues for a while.

Thanks for the thread and the link!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
A good point there. When I buy something I expect to own it not lease it and you have to wonder what's next.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes those are the two main issues and have been from the beginning from what I see. Of course I come from a software background where these have been issues for a while.

If you purchase software that comes on some sort of physical medium such as a CD, you are allowed to resell. But if it's a download and you have no physical medium, you don't have the right to resell. Same exact program, but one has physical medium and the other does not.

What I think would work is if you bought an eBook from say BooksOnBoard and you wanted to sell that eBook, if you sold it, then that eBook would be removed from your account and placed in the account of the person buying it. That way, you'd have no access to download it again. That would mean that you can only sell to people with an account on the same site and that georestrcitions are not an issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
A good point there. When I buy something I expect to own it not lease it and you have to wonder what's next.
One issue is the sites themselves. If we are not buying and getting ownership, then the link that says BUY NOW is wrong and misleading/
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

I've always thought of software and text as being two different things myself. When I buy a computer program I know that I don't have the right to decompile it and sell copies of my version to others. In fact when installing a program I'm asked if I accept the terms of the programs makers or not. There isn't that same kind of thing in traditional books. Or at least it isn't as visible. There is still copyright, but the publisher has never had the right to take back my copy of a book in the past. For that matter the only thing software makers have done in the past is to stop supporting the version of a program that I have. I still had it in the physical sense. Ebooks are having a good set of pains, both birthing and growing and I don't imagine they will be done any time soon.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One issue is the sites themselves. If we are not buying and getting ownership, then the link that says BUY NOW is wrong and misleading/
It's also wrong to sell books on two different sites that both use mobi format and have things set up so books bought at one can't be read on the ereader you sell. I have that problem with them. Several books I bought can't be fixed so I can read them on my Kindle. And Amazon has owned Mobipocket for enough yrs for that not have to be an issue.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It's also wrong to sell books on two different sites that both use mobi format and have things set up so books bought at one can't be read on the ereader you sell. I have that problem with them. Several books I bought can't be fixed so I can read them on my Kindle. And Amazon has owned Mobipocket for enough yrs for that not have to be an issue.
If you know the PID for those old Mobipocket eBooks, then the DRM should be able to be removed.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
On the plus side Bruce Willis is planning on suing aPple for the rights to leave his music collection to his children, so we may finally see a case come to court about digital rights.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I don't buy an ebook to resell or pass on to my family. I used ebooks like I used to do with paperbacks without giving them to a library or Goodwill. If I really like a book and think it's worth the space I buy it. I have many art, decorating, cook, travel books in my physical library. I also have a CD, DVD, Blu-ray collection of my favorites but also make hard copies of purchased digital music and movies.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you purchase software that comes on some sort of physical medium such as a CD, you are allowed to resell. But if it's a download and you have no physical medium, you don't have the right to resell. Same exact program, but one has physical medium and the other does not.
That's changed in the EU. The courts have decided if you purchase digital software such as games and apps, then the developer/publishers cannot stop you reselling that software even via an EULA.

In practice, how that will work I'm not sure. When you consider many games and apps are now tied to an account and include DRM, unless the devs/publishers are obliged to provide a way to transfer ownership it could be a toothless ruling.

Sure you can resell it, but the person you're selling it to can't use it with potentially breaking the law by removing DRM and assuming it's not dependant on an online service tied to an account.

I hope it becomes a requirement for any company that sells digitally to provide an authorised way to transfer licenses. I doubt they'll be quick to do so without a requirement to do it though.

Even without that ruling though, I have always thought that whoever is named in a will for receipt of all your physical property should also be provided an equal share of your digital items. Of course, it's one of those issues that's much easier said than done.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
On the plus side Bruce Willis is planning on suing aPple for the rights to leave his music collection to his children, so we may finally see a case come to court about digital rights.
Yeah, I had read about this earlier. And, I wonder just how that is going to play out. I can see there being some concessions to being able to give the collection to his kids (through some kind of merging of the iTunes accounts, or something), but I think it's going to take some serious pushing to get there.

Either that, or Apple (wanting to negate some of the poor lawsuit karma they've gotten recently) will be a little flexible here. But, I don't see that happening, personally.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
That's changed in the EU. The courts have decided if you purchase digital software such as games and apps, then the developer/publishers cannot stop you reselling that software even via an EULA.

In practice, how that will work I'm not sure. When you consider many games and apps are now tied to an account and include DRM, unless the devs/publishers are obliged to provide a way to transfer ownership it could be a toothless ruling.

Sure you can resell it, but the person you're selling it to can't use it with potentially breaking the law by removing DRM and assuming it's not dependant on an online service tied to an account.

I hope it becomes a requirement for any company that sells digitally to provide an authorised way to transfer licenses. I doubt they'll be quick to do so without a requirement to do it though.

Even without that ruling though, I have always thought that whoever is named in a will for receipt of all your physical property should also be provided an equal share of your digital items. Of course, it's one of those issues that's much easier said than done.
The trick is, is a license that restricts resale enforceable. The answer is, not always, or, more realistically, we don't know because it hasn't gotten to the Supreme Court yet.

The legal question is, is the sale of an ebook, or mp3, or whatever, a license or a sale of goods. What it says in the license may or may not matter. Click-wrap licenses have been enforced, but not always. In Softman v. Adobe, the court ruled that (despite the click-wrap license), because there was a one time payment that gave indefinite use (rather than for a limited time), it was a "sale of goods," and therefore, the first sale doctrine applied. Other districts have ruled otherwise, and so far, nobody seems eager to get it to the Supreme Court to get it resolved for good.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 09-05-2012 at 04:31 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Is there an echo in here?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote