Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Alibaba32
Alibaba32 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pc
Kindle Fire & Translation Dictionaries

Kindle Developer fire owners can you help! I am trying this thread here because I had no response under The General Fire Forum area.
Sorry if The Developers Forum area is not quite right and my request a bit basic! but I didn't know where else to try.

Has anyone managed to use a standalone translation dictionary on the Fire reading app yet?

On the K4PC App I have tried the method below (as suggested by forum member Doitsu) and it works just fine with My French to English translation dictionary, offering instant look-up.
The Fire to my knowledge runs the Kindle App too, so it may well work!

Method...
"The Kindle software versions for PCs and smartphones only support the default 7 monolingual dictionaries. (English US/UK, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese)
The only way to bypass this limitation is to change the ASIN number of the dictionary that you want to use instead.
(The ASIN number for the default French dictionary is B005F12G6U.)
If you want to use your French-English dictionary with K4PC, create a copy of your dictionary, add or change the ASIN to B005F12G6U and replace the default French dictionary in the My Kindle Content folder with your patched version.
IMHO, the easiest way to change the ASIN is to use the "https://dev.mobileread.com/dist/tompe/mobiperl/" Mobiperl command line tools with the Mobi2Mobi GUI. (The ASIN is eth type #113.)".

I am looking to buy the KTouch and Fire, when available in Europe. I already know the method works on the KTouch but If it works on the fire also? this would not only allow for my (and other Fire users) language translation needs but it would give me the added benefits the KFire offers.

Many thanks in advance...

Alibaba32

Happy New Year &
Alibaba32 is offline   Reply With Quote