Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #1051
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That would be nice but also I'd love it if every annotation in an epub did not show as if it was in the chapter I was reading when I made the first annotation.

Especially in one book where the 1st chapter had 2 short paragraphs and every other annotation showed as being in Chapter 1: The Beggining of the End -- the typo in the chapter title being my first annotation. I mean how lousy is the proof reading when beginning is not spelled correctly in a chapter title? I then got to see it repeated through 70+ annotations. Sir Winny would not have approved.
It's not the first chapter you make an annotation in. It's the last chapter you used the ToC or navigation bar to get to or the book was opened to. I've gotten into the habit of using the navigation bar to change chapters. It's annoying, but it improves the annotation experience.

Kobo definitely knows about the bug.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #1052
mokkat
mokkat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Here's a feature I have been sorely missing:

I have owned an Aura HD for a month now, which I picked for it's bigger high res screen so I could could use it for comics and school book pdfs as well as epub reading.

My complaint is that when I zoom in a pdf book or comic to get rid of white borders and maximize the actual content on screen, the viewing window starts in the left corner on every page.

My request is an option to automatically center this kind of content horizontally when zoomed, so I don't have to center it manually for each page. I don't require vertical centering, since the content starts at the very top.
mokkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2014, 11:40 PM   #1053
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It's not the first chapter you make an annotation in. It's the last chapter you used the ToC or navigation bar to get to or the book was opened to. I've gotten into the habit of using the navigation bar to change chapters. It's annoying, but it improves the annotation experience.

Kobo definitely knows about the bug.
Thanks for information. I hadn't noticed that pattern.

So read through chapter 1 and mark it up. Go to TOC, select chapter 2 and mark it up. Repeat as often as needed.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:46 AM   #1054
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Thanks for information. I hadn't noticed that pattern.

So read through chapter 1 and mark it up. Go to TOC, select chapter 2 and mark it up. Repeat as often as needed.
That will work, but I usually just bring up the navigation bar and hit the next chapter arrow.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:23 AM   #1055
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
After having to use search a LOT over the last 2 days to check something out on both my Sonys and Kobo Glos, they really need to make search more usable.

Don't limit the search to only 100 entries.

**While you're flipping forward and back to the next occurrence of the search term, allow the pages to be flipped ahead and back as well (extremely useful when you need to check the appearance of the pages around the change). As it is now, you need to stop the search to flip the pages up or down. So to then go to the next occurrence, you need to restart the search again and start flipping through the instances of the word again.

Let the search begin from the point you are in the book, not always starting from page 1.

The Sonys are 4 years old and that firmware can manage it.

**Edit: Apparently you can flip forward and back but only using a tap. If you use a swipe (which is how I always turn pages), then it won't work. So it's doable as is, but I still think swipes should work there as well.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2014, 04:44 AM   #1056
tofi
tofi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Ifttt.com is very usefull with "translating" different stuff to pocket. Last days I have notice that I can automate dropbox -> pocket and googledrive -> pocket, but pocket on kobo doesn't open links. It downoads only articles. My idea is to open links from pocket like built-in web browser does, or at least links with specified tag, i.e. "book". With that feature sideloading ebooks could be done from couch. With ifttt.com you would even be able to email books like kindle to email function does.
tofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:08 AM   #1057
pakoe
pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo mini
"Search in Book" in an epub is horribly buggy (Kobo Mini, firmware 3.4.1). Above all, the "Results" list ist not even sorted (the order of the results even changes, when returning to the list by tapping the "Results" link in the left bottom corner!). The search doesn't seem to be reliable either: Performing the same search several times can yield a different number of results.
No bugs but nice to have:
-- Search shouldn't start on page 1 but on the current page. Or let the user choose where to start. This is not just a matter of convenience but essential in case there are more than 100 results (only the first 100 are shown) and the current page is behind them. Then I simply don't get the results I'm looking for (example: search for the next occurrence of a person's name in a novel).
-- In search results list for each result its page number (or percentage in book) should be given. This would help to decide which one of a lot of results is the right one.

Last edited by pakoe; 09-12-2014 at 02:27 AM.
pakoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:23 AM   #1058
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
As a twitter user and book lover, I would like to be able to post some tweets related to books I read. ex: title + progress, annotation, finishing, rating (5 stars), ...

"<X> of 5 stars to <title> by <Author>"
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:49 AM   #1059
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandafc View Post
As a twitter user and book lover, I would like to be able to post some tweets related to books I read. ex: title + progress, annotation, finishing, rating (5 stars), ...

"<X> of 5 stars to <title> by <Author>"
Yeah, back when Kobo featured Goodreads reviews, I kept hoping for some sort of integration there. Unfortunately, when Amazon bought GR, that option just kinda died.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #1060
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Yeah, back when Kobo featured Goodreads reviews, I kept hoping for some sort of integration there. Unfortunately, when Amazon bought GR, that option just kinda died.
I'm a user of Goodread too and, as you said, I don't expect any integration anymore ...

On the other side, a twitter integration is not the end of the world ...
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #1061
gioele
gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Use the correct language in Pocket articles

The dictionary used in Pocket articles is always the default language. Obviously this is a problem while reading Pocket articles that are not in the same language of the Kobo interface. Kobo should extract the language information from the article and use the correct dictionary.

BTW, I already contacted Pocket about this problem and their answer has been:

Quote:
It will be up to Kobo to properly identify the article language and [the] correct corresponding dictionary.
gioele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #1062
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gioele View Post
The dictionary used in Pocket articles is always the default language. Obviously this is a problem while reading Pocket articles that are not in the same language of the Kobo interface. Kobo should extract the language information from the article and use the correct dictionary.

BTW, I already contacted Pocket about this problem and their answer has been:
I found when I was looking at Pocket articles on my PC, the language for the few non-English items I downloaded on my PC was the same language as my browser's default setting. Text in Spanish, language as EN-CA. I haven't tried grabbing Pocket articles from my Kobo ereader so not sure if there are any changes there. There is also the possibility that my browserwas not properly supported since I'm running Firefox Nightly x64. User agent looks like: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0 which makes some websites unhappy.

Regards,
David

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 09-15-2014 at 02:11 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #1063
Lebowsky
Lebowsky began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
well, if it's still possible to "request" new features for the Kobo Aura.. would be great to have a swiss keyboard layout. locales fr_CH, de_CH and it_CH. We don't use the same layout as France, so when setting the Kobo to french, the keyboard is all messed up
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #1064
Angemon
Enthusiast
Angemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle DX
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I don't really feel like going through over 1000 posts :P

I'd like books added to collections/shelves would no longer show up in the Books list.

Thank you.

Last edited by Angemon; 09-23-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Angemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #1065
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angemon View Post
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I don't really feel like going through over 1000 posts :P

I'd like books added to collections/shelves would no longer show up in the Books list.
It has been suggested before. Personally, my vote is against it. I like the fact I can put books in multiple collections but they are still shown in the full library list.

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo