Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
triffids
BookWorm
triffids began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader (1st generation)
Protecting a Kobo eReader at the gym?

I sometimes read while working out at the gym (e.g., if on the stationary bike). Although I'd like to use my Kobo eReader there, I'm worried about damaging it with sweaty hands. (Sorry if this is TMI!) I was wondering if there's any way to protect the device from moisture - would GelaSkins be of any use? (I've only seen them advertised as "scratch protection".) Any other ideas?
triffids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
With the Kindle you can just put it in a one gallon plastic baggie and still operate the buttons.....I'm not familiar with the Kobo, but couldn't you do the same?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I have just had a holiday at the beach and put my kobo inside a ziplock/snaplock plastic bag. It worked perfectly, I could still read easily and was able to change page without getting sand or water on it. I didn't lie it down on the sand of course, it went straight back into my carry bag but I it was definitely an easy way to avoid splashes and sand.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Just my opinion, but...

If you can read while working out - then you're not working out hard enough!
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Just my opinion, but...

If you sweat while working out - then you're working too hard!

pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I've been reading on various readers at the gym for a long time and other than the sweat causing fading/discoloration of the page turn buttons I haven't noticed any ill effects.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
triffids
BookWorm

Thanks for the comments/suggestions, all! (An eReader might be easier to manage at the gym than some books, now that I think about it ... no actual pages to turn!)
Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #8
triffids
BookWorm

Heh - my Kobo accessories (bubble envelope and now a plastic freezer bag) aren't exactly chic, but you can't beat the price!