Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #166
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've still not received a reply to my email of last night, when I sent them the screen shots.

The recommended retail price on the comparison page is showing 139.99 for both the Aura HD and H2O, but the pre order page is still 179.99 for the H2O
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #167
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
What really irks me with their H2O review is they pointed out that the sync activity is now being displayed on the top of the screen, like what is being synced, downloaded, etc. And they make it sound like it's a new feature on the Kobo... My Glo has been doing that since I bought it Jan this year...
I just made the mistake of watching the H2O vs PW2 video. A whole 10 minute video and not ONE comment on how the screens looked compared to each other. I wanted to scream at them. The H2O clearly looked whiter. Were they at the same brightness level? Who knows! They didn't think it necessary to mention that trifling tidbit. Which reader does page turns better? Who knows? Which displays books better? Kind of hard to know considering that they used two different books at different font sizes and different line spacing. Fortunately I know how many books the Amazon book store has compared to Kobo. Seriously guys-nobody gives a shit. This is a hardware comparison.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #168
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
The Aura HD is listed at £129 by Kobo in the UK (it was originally £139).

Further indication that it is just a mix-up in the price comes from various news reports on it's release. The Telegraph along with PocketLint, Stuff & The Gadget Show all state it'll be £140:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-e-reader.html
Thanks. I'm trying to get info from the horses mouth.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #169
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Well waterproofing or not I'm not paying £180 for any ereader.
Whoa, pretty sure I wouldn't either.

The price has been corrected, so sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any further issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
Fingers crossed for £139 then.
It worked!

Again, many apologies for the incorrect price. Thanks everyone for pointing it out, we have fixed it.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #170
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@sameerh: Are you going to let Sharkus get away with calling you a horse?

I think that at least he should buy you a Timmie's as compensation.... Or should it be a fruit cake?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #171
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
From Nate's post:

Quote:
... just about all of the interesting details have leaked....

...The product page for the Kobo Aura H2O is now live, and it confirms the leaks.

Thanks to a newly revealed leak....Assuming all of these leaks are correct...

According to the leaked spec sheet....
I have to say, with all that leaking, I'm having doubts about the quality of the waterproofing...

Will wait and see if this model has a special splash screen.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #172
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post

The price has been corrected, so sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any further issues.

It worked!

Again, many apologies for the incorrect price. Thanks everyone for pointing it out, we have fixed it.
Thank you
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #173
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@sameerh: Are you going to let Sharkus get away with calling you a horse?

I think that at least he should buy you a Timmie's as compensation.... Or should it be a fruit cake?
I'll just point to the box of timbits and donuts on the desk behind and to the right of me
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #174
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I'm pre-ordered. The process worked fine. Now there's nothing else to do. Maybe I will get a chance to watch someone else review of the H2O. (Maybe if they loan one to Nate Hoffelder? or someone like that who knows eReaders.)

I made my decision after some thought and decided to get an Aura H2O. My primary interest is in reading and the Kobos make reading easier than did Sony, nook or Kindle and I don't like reading on a general purpose tablet. My iPad Mini is great as a portable computer but even in "white letters on black screen" it hurts my eyes after awhile, and even the smaller Mini version is too heavy for reading. I find it unconsciously drifts down until it ends up in my lap rather than at eye level. After half an hour of that I have a crick in my neck. Even the vivid color wonderfulness of the iPad ends up a distraction.

Give me a big, clear, black and white screen with improved clarity and a front light so I can read in any lighting, my choice of any font I find anywhere, make the page fully configurable to justification, margins, line height and font size and weight, give it a long battery life, fast page turns, text search, text underlining, note taking, a good dictionary, an expandable memory and a reasonably light weight and I'm good. Now is that asking too much?

Improved durability? Yeah okay. Moisture and dust proof is nice, and a reliable bookstore to feed it is nice too, but it must use a standardized format so I can buy my books from the other bookstores--I don't want to be locked down to only one source for my more expensive books and I don't want to buy an eReader that is locked down to a proprietary format because I spend a lot more money on my library than on eReaders and I don't want to risk the investment, not even on a Kindle because nothing lasts forever.

I don't want a color eReader either. I buy picture books printed on paper, big sheets of paper, printed in the millions of colors printing presses can reproduce but handheld devices cannot. A new Kindle is coming soon and probably a new iPad but I don't care. The Aura H2O does what I need and does not do what I don't want, so all there is left now is the wait.

Last edited by 6charlong; 09-02-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention it has to have a bigger screen; six inch screens are too small, like reading a cheap paperback
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #175
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post

It worked!

Now that the Poms are sorted out, any chance of finding out when the Aura H2O is coming downunder? Based on previous releases, it will probably be December, but it would be nice to know.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #176
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #177
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I can't decide if that's a completely silly way to announce the H2O or the perfect way. Probably both at the same time.

SameerH, RobertJSawyer, are you hiding in the background somewhere?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:42 AM   #178
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I can't decide if that's a completely silly way to announce the H2O or the perfect way. Probably both at the same time.
I would have preferred a somewhat less sexy-fied demonstration - a man talking while women blow kisses in cleavage swimsuits is a bit too booth-babe-y for me. Booth babes are a style of presentation the tech industry is supposed to be moving away from, not towards. How about a water polo team or something?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:39 AM   #179
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Water polo team for release of water proof reader with unbreakable screen.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #180
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I would have preferred a somewhat less sexy-fied demonstration - a man talking while women blow kisses in cleavage swimsuits is a bit too booth-babe-y for me. Booth babes are a style of presentation the tech industry is supposed to be moving away from, not towards. How about a water polo team or something?
I'm not sure the reader is quite rugged enough for water polo.

Sexism aside, I thought it was clever, showy and unique. I think they could have toned it down and still succeeded with it (and probably succeeded even more so with female audiences) but now they will just have to come up with a really nice vid of some Navy Seals using them in the water while they wait for a mission to start.

Or at the very least a happy family surfing with their readers.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote