Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-25-2014, 10:44 PM   #16
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Do you have any problems with yours shutting off randomly? We got one from a seller, and it was already running CyanogenMod on the internal. It is really nice! But it does randomly reboot now & then. Come to think of it, so does the Nook HD+ once in a while, and it's running Nook OS with root access. Maybe it's a common issue for some tablets.
I've had problems with random shutdowns with certain SD cards. I'm running CyanogenMod from the SD card and I keep a few cards with different configurations for testing. I noticed that certain cards would invariably be the ones I had in when the shutdowns happened and the shutdowns would seem to happen most often when copying a large set of files. The "bad" cards work fine in other devices and I haven't had a shutdown since I put the current card in (a 32GB class 4 SanDisk, if it's not a coincidence).
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:04 AM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I love my Nexus 7 2013 edition. I paid $220 for mine from Amazon. It's not budget tablet though but it's awesome for the price. It's the best little tablet I have own. I use it for everything. For me it has the best text rendering as I read on mine mainly.

I have upgraded from a Kindle Fire HDX to the Nexus 7 and I am so happy I took the chance on one as before my Nexus 7 I was all Kindle. I would in heartbeat buy another one if something happened to this one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:30 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I love my Nexus 7 2013 edition. I paid $220 for mine from Amazon. It's not budget tablet though but it's awesome for the price. It's the best little tablet I have own. I use it for everything. For me it has the best text rendering as I read on mine mainly.
The Nexus is wonderful value for money. Personally, my preference is for the iPad Mini, due to its 4:3 aspect ratio, which I prefer to the 16:10 of the Nexus, but of course the iPad is considerably more expensive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:18 AM   #19
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
what do you think is the best buget tablet?

I recommend the Nexus 7 if you're looking for an affordable tablet. It's simply the best budget tablet in the market right now. I have both a N7 and an iPad mini (with retina display) but I find that I use the Mini way more. Don't get me wrong, the Nexus 7 is a great tablet (if you don't mind the narrow display). I also suggest you check out the original iPad mini.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #20
waleed_th
waleed_th began at the beginning.

Device: none
xperia z1 tablet
waleed_th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #21
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I would say the Nook HD or the Hisense Sero PRO. Those are both 7" size, great for reading.

The 2013 Nexus 7 is not a budget tablet. The 2012 Nexus 7 can be found for a good price. But I think the screen on the Nook HD is better than the 2012 Nexus.
I have a Hisense Sero PRO using Mantano and Calibre Companion, works real good as an ereader. check you local Walmart to see if it is in stock.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #22
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
I don't think that the Nexus 7 (any gen) can be considered a "budget" tablet.

I'd agree with the Hisense Sero Pro or even better, the nook HD. $90 for a tablet comparable in specs to the Nexus 7 (2012) is pretty hard to beat. The Nexus has a camera, the nook HD doesn't. The nook HD has microSD card support, the Nexus doesn't.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Without a doubt, this

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #24
Justin Mark
Justin Mark began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Nexus 7 2nd Gen .. I can't wait til they come out with a newer model.
Justin Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #25
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I don't think that the Nexus 7 (any gen) can be considered a "budget" tablet.

Actually, the Nexus 7 is considered a budget tablet.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #26
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I guess it all depends on what one means by budget. C|net considers it a budget tablet. I bought the 32 GB model for $269 plus tax. That made it $288. Not iPad or Galaxy Note territory but not cheap either, especially considering that there are cheaper options out there.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #27
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
I guess it all depends on what one means by budget. C|net considers it a budget tablet. I bought the 32 GB model for $269 plus tax. That made it $288. Not iPad or Galaxy Note territory but not cheap either, especially considering that there are cheaper options out there.
Exactly! For all the ipad owners, sure, the Nexus 7 might be called a budget tablet. But for the rest of us, it's not. My Nook HD, which was $99 new, is a budget tablet. Even the newest Kindle Fire I just ordered, for $129, can probably be called a budget tablet. Anything higher, I personally would not consider a budget tablet.

(Of course the new old-tech $50 tablet my SIL got for Christmas, I would consider using as a coaster. There are limits to my appreciation for cheap!)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #28
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
For me the IPad is extremely great made but it also cost well above my retirement budget, seeing I would have to buy all off my needed apps that I use on my android tablet again for the IPad. While I admit that most of my apps that I do have are free for the android, I am not sure if that would be true for the IPad too. And to pay twice as much for an IPad mini as I did for a Nexus is hard to justify.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #29
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
For me the IPad is extremely great made but it also cost well above my retirement budget, seeing I would have to buy all off my needed apps that I use on my android tablet again for the IPad. While I admit that most of my apps that I do have are free for the android, I am not sure if that would be true for the IPad too. And to pay twice as much for an IPad mini as I did for a Nexus is hard to justify.

I've come across a lot of apps that are free on the Google Play Store but paid on the App Store. Yet, the majority of the free apps for Android have ads in them, and there's an option to pay in order to opt out of them.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #30
DaveCanRead
Enthusiast
DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Without a doubt, this

DaveCanRead is offline   Reply With Quote