Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Merbear
Enthusiast
Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PRS-600 & Kobo & PRS-650, iTouch and iPad2
Serious problem with Sony PRS600

I love my reader - got it in April and have purchased over 30 books so far.
That said, last night the touch screen stopped working I emailed Sony (still waiting for reply) and today was able to connect to live chat. Today my reader won't even come on properly and when it does, it's very sluggish and still problems with touch screen. I was able to bring up my last book but then it started turning the pages by itself! The live chat analyst told me to charge it and then do a hard re-set to force it to re-format. I have tried this but now it won't come on to re-format. Please - anyone have any suggestions? I have the plug adaptor and will charge it longer but I know it's really not low in power.

Right now i'm downloading my library unto my husband's Kobo but I really do want my Sony back!

Thanks,
Marion
Merbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, Marion.

I'm sorry you are having a problem with your Reader. Have you solved it yet?

You said you have a "plug adapter". Is that the wall (mains) charger? Did you charge using that one?

You need to make sure that it is fully charged before doing the reset.

The Hard Reset instructions are in the MR Wiki (see at the very top of this page) and this is the link to some Trouble shooting information and the 600 Hard Reset instructions.

Please let us know if you were able to solve the problem and just ask if you would like additional information.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Try checking for dirt particles at the screen edge... they can jame between the edge and the screen which then causes the screen to act like it is being touched permanently. Can be cleaned very carefully with stiff edge of paper, compressed air, brush or anything similar that works...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Marion. I had similar problems with my 505 (not with the touch screen, of course, becaue it doesn't have one). I got an AC mains charger and the device has performed perfectly ever since. You can't rely on the accuracy of the battery meter. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Merbear
Enthusiast
Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

I have the ac charger and always use that to charge my Reader. The poor thing developed other problems - was finally able to do the hard re-set but then it hung on the Welcome screen. Then was able to get past the Welcome screen but it wouldn't calibrate or do anything else. I talked to a phone tech today and my Reader will be posted to Toronto for repair/replacement.

I hope to have it back in a couple of weeks cause I'm lost without it. It's so easy on the eyes and I've purchased 30 some odd books in the 3 mths I've had it. Now I'm having fun browsing the free and other sites - including Smashwords that I saw mentioned here.
I was able to use the Kobo to finish a book yesterday but don't find it near as nice an experience. I would have been happy with the Kobo if I hadn't used the Sony first but really love the touch screen!
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Sony's live chat is terrible. In my experience they are the dumbest support people I've dealt with, probably because they are so ill trained. You are much better off calling in to phone support. If you get a stupid phone support person, then demand a second tier support person.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Merbear
Enthusiast

I suspect the live chat tech was based in Mumbai but he told me to do the same thing that the phone tech (probably Quebec) told me to do. At least I was able to get support in a timely fashion. I have mailed the unit to Toronto with the hope of having it returned in a timely fashion. The phone tech told me it would be 2 wks or so.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR.

Sorry about your luck.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:08 AM   #9
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I agree with elcreative. There could be some debris either under the rim of the screen causing the device to think there's a touch-screen-press or maybe check the forward/backward button. I have the feeling that the buttons on the 600 feel much flimsier after using it for 1/2 a year now. And there's also a little gap between the buttons and the housing, too, where something could get stuck.
Other than that, once your reader is up to some sort of operational mode, try recalibrating the touchscreen. I guess I have to do this too as I can hardly put a bookmark when tapping the upper right corner.

Good luck
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
Merbear
Enthusiast

I rarely used the forward/backward buttons cause I loved the touch screen. The unit is now at the service department in Toronto but before that - it wasn't operational at all anymore. The problems kept getting worse so I suspect there was something very wrong with the unit. I imagine it will be replaced - not repaired - but I still miss it Just not as enjoyable experience using the Kobo, altho it is worthy enough on it's own.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
Merbear
Enthusiast

My reader was delivered back to me today (or at least to my house - I'm at work). Very very impressed with Sony's service! I sent it to them last Monday, they got it Tuesday and advised me on Thursday by email that it was repaired (or replaced) and being sent back.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Hey, really great. I just love good service, allthough it's better not to need it
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:06 AM   #13
luluching
luluching began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merbear View Post
My reader was delivered back to me today (or at least to my house - I'm at work). Very very impressed with Sony's service! I sent it to them last Monday, they got it Tuesday and advised me on Thursday by email that it was repaired (or replaced) and being sent back.
Hi

Just want to know where sony service did you have you reader repair? I am having problem with my reader (having a vertical line on the screen) and I want to return it to Sony,but I live in a non US country.
luluching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
Merbear
Enthusiast

I sent it back to Toronto but depending on where you are you might have to send it somewhere else. Have you checked their website - it should tell you where to send it for repair. good luck - I missed my Sony so much while it was gone. As a welcome back present I got a gelskin picture of my granddaughter for the back of it
Old 10-01-2010, 01:41 AM   #15
namasteindia
namasteindia began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600 sony
i have lot of problems with my sony PRS600 now its hanged and only the hom epage is visible.
also earlier i was unable to transfer books from PC to reader
day by day problems are increasing

i have bought it from US and presently im living in india, mumbai
what to do??

pls guide
namasteindia is offline   Reply With Quote