Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Angry No more bookeen

For the third time in the 2 years I've owned a Cybook my screen broke today.

First time - my fault, it flew off the bed (I had forgotten it was there). Direct impact on the screen...dead.

Second time, in the case, case closed... a very small amount of pressure on the edge of the case, audible crack, dead screen.

Today, didn't hear it, don't know exactly when it happened, but it was in the same pocket it always goes in, in the case, turned off.

The second one I blame on Bookeen - the light plastic cover offers no protection at all, any pressure on that is transferred to the screen. The third time I blame on them, the case offers no protection against torsion (twisting). I do NOT suggest anyone does this, but you can easily show how flexible the case is (and how badly this transfers to the screen) by simply holding two opposite corners between two fingers each and twisting slightly. This WILL BREAK your device, so only do it to a broken one.

When these first came out we were all saying be careful with them, and nobody seemed to dispute that they needed to be kept in the "protective cover". I've now come to the conclusion that the device has been badly designed, and no protective cover short of something entirely rigid can protect these. By rigid I mean something that will ensure no pressure applied to the case is transferred to the Cybook itself.

As far as the device itself is concerned it's very good, the folder support that finally came at Christmas is fantastic, but the device itself is too fragile, and rather than have the screen replaced I went out and bought a new one (within 2 hours of the screen breaking... I believe I'm addicted to eink!).

I'm over in the states just now and at the time I didn't have a laptop (I bought one at the same time as the Sony Reader) so couldn't easily shop around, I had a look at the Nook and the Reader, neither offered folder support, but they are both a whole lot more secure.

So to anyone thinking of buying a Cybook Gen3, only do so if you're prepared to not take it around the house/travel with it, or you are happy finding a metal case for it. It's easily the best reader around, but the case is a killer for me.

And to anyone who has one, please please don't make the assumption that I did, that if it's in the case it's safe - it isn't! Please be careful and don't end up in the same boat as me!
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I carried my gen 3 in my bag everyday, I one time i manage to get the screen broken, I looked for it, really. Then I learned to the cybook inside the bag rather than in the front pocket. And voilà, no more problems. And there are a lot for stuff in my bag.
Opus is still intact.

E-ink screen, weather from sony, bookeen, pocketbook or whatever, are fragile. Period. Electronics stuff have to be handled careful, and e-ink screens more than the average.
Learn to take care of your things !

What new device did you bought by the way ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 05-31-2010 at 05:42 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
My Cybook is now 2 years old, and I've never had a problem with the screen.
It's been with me almost everyday since, in the standard Bookeen cover.
It even fell from about 1 meter on last month, the on/off button was broken but the screen was still intact.

If you have trouble with the screen, you might want to switch to the smaller devices, that are sturdier by design.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
mmm - i've had no fragility issues with mine - not even with a heavy cat jumping on it ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
not even with a heavy cat jumping on it ....
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
My own Gen3's or Opuses have felt a lot of time, for my old Gen3, only the cases had broken, and I never broke a screen, never.

Morality, to not broke your screen, just let your device fell sometime. If they never fell, they will broke sometime
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I have my Gen3 since November 2007, didn't break yet. You might be very unlucky in this case.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
I've had 1 Gen3 and 2 Opus' so far. And that's just the last in a very long line of gadgets I've had over the years.

So far, I've had NO problems with breakage with any of my devices.

IHMO: If you are having problems with screen breakage, you should first review your treatment of the devices - and not blame the manufacturer.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Teh Gen3 is known to be more fragile than the Opus (for exemple) but it will not break by itself
Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is of course an element of luck involved. I had my first one for 18 months without problems, and I did the same with it that I did with the gold edition. I used in bed, in the bath, travelling, in the back garden, in the conservatory, on airplanes, buses, trains, etc. I was reasonably careful with it, and always always kept it in the case (except when I broke it!). The screen break on that one was completely my fault. I take it out of the case to put it into an Aquapac bag when I take it into the bath, and I'd been lazy and had not taken it back out of the Aquapac bag afterwards, instead I'd laid it on the bed, and for some reason completely forgotten about it. In the morning the screen was broken - it seems I'd kicked it out of the bed overnight and the screen had hit the corner of furniture. There's nothing that could have been done to prevent that on Bookeen's side. So 18 months of good luck, and then 6 months of bad luck. Please don't make the logical fallacy that because yours hasn't broken I must be hitting mine with hammers!

However my point is that both the plastic case the device comes in (the shell) and the leather/pleather cases that Bookeen sell offer little or no protection. The plastic shell is the culprit, in my opinion, as no matter how good a case is, the plastic shell doesn't do anything. It all made sense when I saw the Nook and Sony Readers yesterday, they were in shells that would not have caused a screen to break in the way my last 2 breaks were.

As to people saying it's my own fault, I don't accept that at all. Bookeen need to make it clear that their case, and the aftermarket case that they sold (it's now included with the Gold package) do not protect the device. That it is a very thin, very fragile piece of glass, and the plastic shell will not protect the screen from even a moderate amount of torsion or pressure. Of course it will not break by itself, the user needs to apply pressure for this to happen.

But is carrying it, in a case, in your pocket "misuse"? Should not the case protect it from this? I'm not suggesting that it should protect it if I fall over and land on the case or anything like that... I put the device in the pocket of my shorts (they're cargo shorts I wear over here, 9 pockets, two of them are very large and can hold the device with plenty of room to spare) got in the car and went to a diner for lunch. I left the diner, and decided to sit at a square and read... and it was broken. Having now thought about it in detail I'm now certain it must have been torsion that caused it - pressure on the device on one of the corners. In order for the device to be "fit for purpose" then the shell should offer enough protection in order to ensure that cannot happen.

As far as broken devices go.... I've owned a number over the years. Walkmans, mp3 players, mobile phones etc etc etc. And I've yet to damage or break any, ever, with the exception of Gen3s.

Anyway, the moral of the story is still a warning to the rest of the forum.

Please be careful if you already own a Gen3!

And if you're thinking of buying one... please be aware that you need to treat it like a sheet of thin glass... the case does not change this.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
Godzil

Quote:
Originally Posted by alain1948 View Post
Hi,
You can try this :
[SNAP]
There is all for France. I hope it's util.
Pierre Alain
Cordialement,
Looks like spam
Old 05-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
Halk
Fanatic

I'm not sure it is spam, it looked like someone responding to the question "Where can I find Bookeen". They just got it a bit wrong! In any case, it's some kind of mispost.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Looks like spam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
I'm not sure it is spam, it looked like someone responding to the question "Where can I find Bookeen". They just got it a bit wrong! In any case, it's some kind of mispost.

seems on the face of it unhelpful .... Bookeen is not there ..
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
And if you're thinking of buying one... please be aware that you need to treat it like a sheet of thin glass... the case does not change this.
Well, sturdy glass my Gen3 must be, because it has fallen at least a couple of times to the floor (inside the cover) and no problem, but I consider it good luck, it could have been bad luck.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
I can´t really disagree with you - the Gen3 is not very torsion resistant. You having your third Cybook broken know that better than any here.

But - you can´t really blame Bookeen for that. The hardware is Netronix, and the same piece would also be the FoxIt eSlick-reader, the PocketBook 301/601, the kobo, and some others I can´t recall just now. You don´t blame them for breaking your Gen3, now do you?
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookeen, break, damaged, gen3, screen