Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Peter Watts Rifters 1-2

Recently I read an amazing hard sf book Blindsight by Peter Watts which unfortunately is not available in e-book form as of now, though the author may put it up at some point under cc license. However he has the first 2 books of his Rifters tetralogy free under cc license at his web site rifters.com, in html and pdf formats. They are very good also and I ordered the rifters 3-4 immediately from Amazon, again unfortunately not available in e-book form. The specific links are:

http://rifters.com/real/STARFISH.htm

http://rifters.com/real/MAELSTROM.htm

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sending this. I'm well into Starfish.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks, Liviu.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Actually looking more carefully through Mr. Watts' site I discovered that these links were posted here in 2005 with some other formats for the books too.

http://rifters.com/real/links.htm

I had no idea about that and anyway I think that Mr. Watts books really deserve a lot of exposure so he can get to publish another book. What I would find useful if somehow these recommended sites could be centralized somewhere, so we could look them up whenever we join this forum.

Liviu
Old 11-09-2006, 03:49 AM   #5
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Note: Peter Watts has a third book out in the same series as Starfish and Maelstrom. It's been published in two parts, as Behemoth: B-Max and Behemoth: Seppuku. He is well-deserving of your purchases if you enjoyed the first two in the series.

He also has a very well-reviewed new book out: Blindsight.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #6
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I poked around the site a bit earlier this week and did see the Behemoth books. I'd like to say that I will read through the entire series, but I've never been one to do that. Maybe I should this time just to experience it.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele

He also has a very well-reviewed new book out: Blindsight.

As mentioned in my original post Blindsight is the book that turned me to Dr. Watts. It is an absolutely amazing hard/literary sf book. The rifters books (of which I finished 1,2 and started 3) are good but Blindsight is to my mind as Spin by RC Wilson was last year, the unexpected sf book that blows you away. Two very interesting reviews are :

http://www.shaviro.com/Blog/?p=522

http://speculativereviews.blogspot.com/

Liviu
Old 02-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In LRF format is Starfish. Coming soon is PRC and IMP.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #9
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Rifters 3 & 4, as one volume "Behemoth", as well as "Blindsight", are available in various ebook formats on Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/author/193
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote