Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #16
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here's one in Spanish. I don't know what it says.
http://cristianocn.blogspot.com/2006...r-prs-500.html
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #17
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another article. This one critical of how Sony has fallen into a sidelines player...
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/f...2854ed&k=53600
They say Sony has invested big in the eReader, but didn't do so well with the Librie.
Advert
Old 10-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #18
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

USA Today joins the parade...
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...y-reader_x.htm

And the Washington Post...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100500863.html
They like it and how it's easy on the eyes, but the store doesn't thrill them.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #19
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Here's one in Spanish. I don't know what it says.
http://cristianocn.blogspot.com/2006...r-prs-500.html
That's Portuguese. Anyway, it doesn't say anything interesting, he mainly complains about the price.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #20
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Here's one from the About.com "guide"...
http://portables.about.com/od/otherd...nyreaderfl.htm
Advert
Old 10-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #21
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

One from IT Week... Sony Reader gives e-books a boost
"Has paperback publishing found its very own iPod?"
"It normally takes months to evaluate the success of new products in the US and Japan before we can decide whether to roll them out in Europe," a spokesman told vnunet.com. "We have no plans for a European launch of the Reader at all."

Business Week... Gutenberg 1, Sony 0
"Its reader is hurt by clunky software and a clueless bookstore."
This guy has no problem spotting weaknesses! But it's the store he really doesn't like.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #22
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

IWR Blog says, in Will Sony Reader launch spark ebook tipping point? , that...

"But it's digital rights management issues that still remain unresolved, and until they do, the ebook industry is unlikely to take off. Consumers will want to be able to move ebooks around, swapping a book from one device to another – which could open up the way for Napster style peer-to-peer 'piracy' to emerge.

There may be some scope for developing DRMs that take into account library loans or time-limited "browsing" of a title, but in general the publishing industry and digital book consumers are at loggerheads. And that isn't going to change soon."

John Sanders at TheKansasCityChannel says...

"I have to admit I'm a little skeptical about reading books on anything but good, old-fashioned paper, but the reviews of this new product are enough to make me think twice."
Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #23
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
The paper version of The Times has a story called "Reading a book: aids and alternatives in gizmo form" on the Sony Reader today.
  • The good: 7,500 page turns on a single charge; screen isn't glaring, stores about 80 books.
  • The bad: It's a lot of money to pay for a good read.
  • Verdict: Sony's eBook is about to be launched in the US and a backlog of orders has built up already.
  • Score: 4/5
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:47 AM   #24
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sony Reader - Will this revolutionary new e-book reader become the iPod for bookworms?

Last January, Sony declared it would be the company to finally launch a successful e-book reader, dubbed — how about this for originality? — the Reader. Combined with a well-stocked e-book store, the device would have the potential to be a literary iPod. The product was delayed for months, but now that it has arrived, I'm excited by its performance and its potential. I love a good hardbound book, but if we're ever going to move on from pulped-tree matter, Sony is looking in the right direction.

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...545102,00.html
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 PM   #25
bobl
BooksOnBoard
bobl began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, iPAQ, Sony Reader, Iliad
Thumbs down Cost too high and proprietary NOT good

Sony still insists on proprietary, dangling the vision of opening up later. They have thrown out this lure in many technologies along the way, but are slow to move away from proprietary standards.

Sony aspires to replicate Apple's iTunes success with e-books with their Connect Store. That design limits the market and further limits opportunities for (1) new publishers, (2) new authors and (3) new resellers to champion books.

The Treo and Windows Mobile devices can carry as many or more books without the limits of Sony, for less money and in a smaller package. Sony's reader costs less than $40 to manufacture at mature volumes so why is it being so greedy on margin and greedy with proprietary standards. Take out Sony's software and hardware for managing its proprietary store and the cost could go sub $25. Market needs a good, paperback sized sub-$50 device that people can put in Christmas stockings along with an SD card loaded with new books.
bobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:08 PM   #26
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Bob,

are you going to post the very same thing in each and every thread? Just wondering
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #27
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobl
The Treo and Windows Mobile devices can carry as many or more books without the limits of Sony, for less money and in a smaller package. Sony's reader costs less than $40 to manufacture at mature volumes so why is it being so greedy on margin and greedy with proprietary standards. Take out Sony's software and hardware for managing its proprietary store and the cost could go sub $25. Market needs a good, paperback sized sub-$50 device that people can put in Christmas stockings along with an SD card loaded with new books.
Err... I don't think you're correct in that assertion. I'm fairly sure for a number of reasons that Sony could not manufacture this device for anywhere near that cheaply.

And your comparison to other handheld devices misses the point of eink - a technology that has a number of benefits over other devices.

The size of the Reader *is* disappointing to me... I wish it were bigger! I've tried reading books on PDA screens, but the screen size is far too small for me. I'd really like a device the size of the Iliad...

I won't dispute that a $50 device would do wonders for the ebook market, but I think it's impossible to price an eink device that low. It would even be hard for a more PDA-like device!
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:15 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava
Bob,

are you going to post the very same thing in each and every thread? Just wondering
Well, I don't plan to post the same response to him in every thread.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #29
bobl
BooksOnBoard
bobl began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, iPAQ, Sony Reader, Iliad
Smile Sorry for the double post -- the costs

No intention to have multiple posts. My first time out here so I have a small learning curve. Re: costs -- I've worked as a partner with Sony on hardware development in a past life and have recently costed a similar device. Unless you're holding the actual bill of material, you can't be completely certain of the cost -- and even then negotiation can move parts cost -- but my cost estimates are within the ballpark.
bobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 AM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
No worries, bobl.

Full response over here -- it seems to fit better there.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote