Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
ggyxxcool
ggyxxcool began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Collection Manager does not work on Kindle Touch. Any alternatives?

It does not look like that Kindle Touch is using the same collections.json file to manage the collections anymore.

I've digging around and haven't a clue where and how the Collections are managed on Kindle Touch.

I wonder if anybody has a clue here?

Moving hundreds of books from Kindle to Kindle Touch and manually adding one book at a time to Collection would be a huge pain!!!

Kindle Touch overall in my opinion lags in performance and no shortcut to popup keyboard is such a pain.

Thanks in advance
ggyxxcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
You can use kindle for PC to create and manage collections and then transfer the collections to your kindle touch.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
have you tried Kranf Kindle Collection Manager?
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
the only alternatives I know of right now is to manage the Collections through another device and then import them over to the new Touch.

You are correct in that the Touch is doing something different. Nobody has been able to find a Collections file being created/changed in the visible file system. I'm guessing we might get somewhere if and when somebody manages to jailbreak it. Until then, none of the old method (Calibre Plug-In and the various 3rd party programs) are going to work.

I wish I had better news.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
DandalfTheWhite
DandalfTheWhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I didn't know you could import like that. Neat. I am having trouble adding books to collections on my touch, so this will be nice if it fixes my issue.

How do you import them onto the kindle after they are made in Kindle for the PC? I am trying to sync it but it doesn't seem to change it on the kindle. Do I need to make it a new collection for it to show up on my Touch?

Thanks!
DandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandalfTheWhite View Post
I didn't know you could import like that. Neat. I am having trouble adding books to collections on my touch, so this will be nice if it fixes my issue.

How do you import them onto the kindle after they are made in Kindle for the PC? I am trying to sync it but it doesn't seem to change it on the kindle. Do I need to make it a new collection for it to show up on my Touch?

Thanks!
Menu - View Archived Items
Menu - Import Collections
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
DandalfTheWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Menu - View Archived Items
Menu - Import Collections
Ah, that was well hidden. Thanks!

It doesn't seem to have worked on my touch, however. I set one up to test in Kindle for the PC, and then tried to import it and it did not appear on my device. I am beginning to think this touch might be a lemon, because I can not delete a collection off the device or add/remove any items from it. I also do not seem to be able to reset to factory defaults. I tired it several times and it just went back to the settings page after I clicked yes.

At least its under warranty...
Old 11-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandalfTheWhite View Post
Ah, that was well hidden. Thanks!

It doesn't seem to have worked on my touch, however. I set one up to test in Kindle for the PC, and then tried to import it and it did not appear on my device. I am beginning to think this touch might be a lemon, because I can not delete a collection off the device or add/remove any items from it. I also do not seem to be able to reset to factory defaults. I tired it several times and it just went back to the settings page after I clicked yes.

At least its under warranty...
Do you have alot of books and/or collections? It seems to take a couple of tries if you do, I always test in k4pc before trying in the Touch. And for some reason on my k4pc I always have to do it twice before they show up. But then I have a lot of collections and books. It took me several days to get my Touch to where I wanted it but now that it is, the maintenance is much easier to manage. Though I really do want one of the plugins to be up and running again.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
DandalfTheWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Do you have alot of books and/or collections? It seems to take a couple of tries if you do, I always test in k4pc before trying in the Touch. And for some reason on my k4pc I always have to do it twice before they show up. But then I have a lot of collections and books. It took me several days to get my Touch to where I wanted it but now that it is, the maintenance is much easier to manage. Though I really do want one of the plugins to be up and running again.
Took your advice (again ) and I tried it a few more times in k4pc and everything seems to be where I want it. Thanks for your help.

I am looking forward to the Calibre plugin working again. That was so easy. (Using k4pc to assign collections was pure evil. No multi-select or shortcuts I could find.)
Old 11-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
ggyxxcool
ggyxxcool began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I tried k4pc and it lacks language support for Simplified Chinese so all my Chinese books titles are not recognized under the source folder. bummer. I need something that quickly organize my collections; each of my collection contains hundreds of books, I simply don't have time to manually touch and add each of them to a collection on my new Kindle Touch.

The other major complaint I have for Kindle Touch is that sometimes I was merely trying to swipe to flip a page and my finger tip linger for a tad bit long and it ended up selecting the book title and opened it up and there IS NOT an easy way to go back to the particular titles list page I was at so I have to start from page 0 of the index pages again. What a PAIN!
ggyxxcool is offline   Reply With Quote