Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
New Sony Reader Ads: "Fit 80 books in your carry-on"

Last week, my boss approached me with an ad that he stumbled on in the May's print edition of The Atlantic. What's remarkable about the ad is that it worked to make him (an avid reader) aware of the Sony Reader for the first time. What's less remarkable, at least in my inexperienced opinion about marketing, is that Sony picked an EMPTY gate seating area suggesting no one is actually using the Reader (which is hardly what they must have had in mind). Sure, the passengers could have boarded the aircraft already, but then, why depict the empty seats? I just don't get it.

If I was in charge of marketing, I would pick authentic Reader fans from MobileRead and run a series of ads featuring real life scenes, such as this one by MobileReader LaughingVulcan.

A hi-res image of the ad is attached to this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	readeratairport.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	637.6 KB
ID:	3273  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:22 AM   #2
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
LaughingVulcan should clean up his room. :-)
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Sony picked an EMPTY gate seating area

I guess Sony didn't want to distract people from the small, yet commanding sign of the figure reading a Reader? No marketing experience here either, I'm afraid.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
icecubex
icecubex began at the beginning.

What do they mean when they talk about people checking books at the gate?
icecubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
David/Teleread points out that the same ad appeared in this Sunday's Washington Post book supplement. And I've received word that it also appeared in last Friday's USA Today.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
donovanh
Enthusiast
donovanh began at the beginning.

Smile

I like the photo of the airport.. if it was full of people it would look cluttered and uncomfortable, and it would be harder to imagine taking a seat and having a read.

I've been to plenty of airports that have empty rows of seats just a little away from the main throng, they're much more pleasant than being among impatient kids etc.

So from that perspective I reckon it's a good advert. A chilled out opportunity to read books
donovanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I second that. To me, the ad expresses tranquility and comfort.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Saw this ad on the back cover of the New Yorker around January.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

The error is the sign. It definitely shows a person reading a paper book.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard
The error is the sign. It definitely shows a person reading a paper book.
Isn't that the whole point of the Ad? That the seats reserved for reading paper books are all empty, because everyone is now using a Reader?

If you look at the ad closely, the sign is clearly added in to it - the shadow is wrong compared with the shadow of the seats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Well, Alex, my impression was it looked like a library, and indicated spaciousness (like traveling light by not carrying a bunch of books).

But now that you've pointed that out, I think it ruined the ad for me - as you said, something does seem to not quite fit.

For one, normally there is so much talking and phone calling going on at the terminal that it can even be hard for me to watch a video with earphones while I wait. Most of my reading is on the plane itself.

For another thing, like you pointed out, it gives me the feel like it's a future tech device that nobody wants to try. It would be nice if there were people waiting, maybe even struggling to hold their book and luggage, and away from the main crowd was a cool dude and his wife traveling light, reading comfortably in peace, each with a Sony Reader. That effect would be great if it ever goes to a TV commercial - with video you could pan from the craziness and crowding of the area with regular book readers away to the calm in-control peace where the Reader readers are. You could even show someone trying to read or watch a video on a laptop, sitting on the floor awkwardly because they had to plug in their laptop!

Hmmm... and I thought the ad was really nice when I first saw it because it was so reflective of a library and the spacious clean feeling that having a Reader instead of paper books provides.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #12
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy

Aha, still the ad does not work. It means that it is too subtle even for the non-casual reader.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #13
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by donovanh
I like the photo of the airport.. if it was full of people it would look cluttered and uncomfortable, and it would be harder to imagine taking a seat and having a read.

I've been to plenty of airports that have empty rows of seats just a little away from the main throng, they're much more pleasant than being among impatient kids etc.

So from that perspective I reckon it's a good advert. A chilled out opportunity to read books
I agree. I think the ad is about spaciousness, lack of clutter, clean lines, etc. That is exactly the kind of spot I would want to wait for my departure, even if it were away from my gate. It invites you to sit down and read. It makes reading easy and enjoyable when traveling, and I think that is one benefit of the Reader.
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #14
shawn
shawn began at the beginning.

i always thought a cool ad would be to print a reader in actual size with a plastic sheet stuck onto it explaining e-ink technology and how the display would look just like the plastic sheet or something like that. This ad really lacks imagination, its simple and clean but I probably wouldn't give it a second look.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I agree that the empty space is wrong. The ad needs at least ONE person, quietly reading their reader! Better yet, a FEW additional people looking a bit frazzled or restless, clearly not at-ease, nearby.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote