Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Current Book's cover as screen saver! Would it be nice?
Yay 118 96.72%
Nay 4 3.28%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Current book's cover as screen saver

Just thought i'd sometimes enjoy it this way

Last edited by Starko; 01-28-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
This is the only thing I miss about my Kobo. I loved having my book cover as a screensaver while it's asleep/off.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Makes perfect sense to me. Make the Kindle even more like a real book, with the current cover showing all the time when not being read.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
(with the disclaimer that you shouldn't implement a screensaver *at all*, unless you have an idea like this that actually adds value. there's no other reason for it afaict... it shouldn't be needed to save power or help the screen... unless the Kindle takes too long to come out of suspend and this helps the UX?)
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcejedi View Post
(with the disclaimer that you shouldn't implement a screensaver *at all*, unless you have an idea like this that actually adds value. there's no other reason for it afaict... it shouldn't be needed to save power or help the screen... unless the Kindle takes too long to come out of suspend and this helps the UX?)
Aesthetics have value, but if that's not enough, the Kindle screen savers are a quick visual indication that your kindle is asleep, and not completely dead.

ApK

p.s. I think I like the current book cover idea.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I vote, meh.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
It would be a nice feature. But, for people like me who are reading a dozen books at any given time, it wouldn't matter much.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
It would be a nice feature. But, for people like me who are reading a dozen books at any given time, it wouldn't matter much.
Far as I know, the Kindle can only have one book open at a time.

Do you always go back to the home screen before putting the the kindle down?

By the way, I agree with DiapDealer, in that ANYTHING to do with screen savers is a "meh" at best. Nothing in the world of screen savers since the virtual fish tank rated more than a "meh." (The virtual fish tank is awsome!)
But the more I think about this idea, the more I think it's on the high end of the "meh" range.
If it were a feature, I'd turn it on.
If this were a hack, I'd consider installing it.

Last edited by ApK; 01-31-2011 at 04:13 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I think its a great idea!! If it were an option, via Amazon, I'd use it. I wouldn't, however, hack my Kindle to do it. I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to hacking things.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It'd be a nice idea if more e-books had proper covers, but a lot of them seem to be lacking covers, or have generic covers.

Last edited by avantman42; 01-31-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Clarity
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
How about a Yeh. It would be cool, but only if I could which cover(s) to use. (s) because I like the whole cycling thing.

Honestly, a few of the built-in ones are so lovely, I'd be tickled enough if we could just delete the ones we don't like.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Re screensavers being 'meh', for me they are a place I can put family pics and being away from home this is a real for me!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
delay220
delay220 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
It would be nice to have the book cover as screensaver, or some other abstract art. I set some to suggestions to Amazon, here's what I got back.

"I see that you've written to us about a number of issues. I'll do my best to provide a thorough answer to each of your inquiries in this message.

1. Regarding the custom images for screen savers in kindle.

Kindle comes with preinstalled screensaver images that display when the Kindle is in sleep mode. Kindle doesn't support the use of custom screensavers.

2. Regarding the "Now reading" link at top of home page

At this time, the feature to display the "Now reading" link at top of home page is not available on kindle. We're regularly working on improvements to your Kindle experience. I've let the Kindle team know you're interested in this feature.

3. Ability to sort books into collections outside of kindle UI.

Currently we do not have the feature to be able to sort books outside o kindle UI.

4.RSS feeds

The RSS feeds is also not available with kle currently.

5.Basic mp3 player menu

The mp3 player menu for track/artist/album selection is not available on kindle.

6.The feature to provide a PC based software to organize and manage kindle books/documents is not available in the kindle.

7.The feature to sort the books into folders or menu based system is not available in kindle.

However you have given us valuable suggestions about the kindle.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us. The Kindle Team will carefully review your suggestions."

Any thoughts on the suggestions here?
delay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #14
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
It would remind you which was the last book you were reading

I'm now doing this manually, with only a single image in my screensavers folder of the current book. I have to say it gives me a little frisson of pleasure every time I open the cover, and there is the image of the book cover (right now it's The Count of Monte Cristo).

Last edited by orlok; 02-01-2011 at 05:43 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Meh. I guess I wouldn't be opposed to the option. But I wouldn't want it forced on me.

I wish I could be rid of the EmilyDickinsonzombie picture.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote