Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
superfrank
superfrank began at the beginning.

Device: cybook?
Wait for the PRS-900?

So I just discovered this on the main page

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665981151

Like everyone else.

Should I wait or get PRS-600 now? Thanks XD
superfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Of course its up to you. My guess on the decision factors:

Price: 7" $100 to $150 more than the 6" device.

Viewing Area: The 7" is 28% larger (Using E-reader matrix measurements)
- This can be a plus if you have eyesight problems, or read layout-intensive content such as magazines or pdf's. It's not necessary for run-of-the-mill fiction.
- In terms of portability, this means a weight penalty for the 7" device of a similar amount (28% or more). It'll make it more awkward to hold one-handed for long periods. In this regard it'll be better than something like the Kindle DX, but of course a 5-inch reader is much handier.

Then there is the wireless part. My experience with the Kindle tells me that wireless access to the bookstore will be neat. I suspect; however, that Sony will really be pushing the wireless access because they want you to use the device to subscribe to content: Magazines and newspapers. Hence, the 'daily edition' title. I'm sure that lots of people use the Kindle for such a function and others will similarly enjoy the Sony. For me, this is an unneeded feature. As my budget expands to include things like ebook readers, I look to other ways to save. These days, I'd rather get my news/magazines for free on the internet. I don't want to rack up multiple subscriptions for things I can get for free.

Finally, have you checked out the screen on the 600? Some folks are quite happy, but others feel that it has too much glare. I suspect that the touch screen on the 700 will be quite similar. You might want to check it out to see if you are happy.

Last edited by emellaich; 09-18-2009 at 03:56 AM.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Great common sense analysis, emellaich!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
frogger72
frogger72 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Also note it is not likely to support free wireless to a cell carrier in Canada where I believe you are located
frogger72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
then again, why not wait to see all three in action somewhere? I have to admit the way the 900 works for novel reading in landscape orientation is sort of interesting when viewing two pages at once.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Viewing Area: The 7" is 28% larger (Using E-reader matrix measurements)
where do i find this matrix???
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
superfrank
superfrank began at the beginning.

Device: cybook?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
then again, why not wait to see all three in action somewhere? I have to admit the way the 900 works for novel reading in landscape orientation is sort of interesting when viewing two pages at once.
Never saw neither the 600 nor the 505 >.<. I'm in Canada, no clue where they are physically.
superfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floeee View Post
where do i find this matrix???
See E-book Reader Matrix, the PRS-900 screen size there is an estimate assuming that its screen has the same portrait width as the PRS-600.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
Floeee
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See E-book Reader Matrix, the PRS-900 screen size there is an estimate assuming that its screen has the same portrait width as the PRS-600.
oh i thought there would be a tool to see how the differences are

i think i didnt got what you mean, how do you get exactly 28% difference?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floeee View Post
how do you get exactly 28% difference?
If the pixels per inch is the same, and the PRS-900 is 600x1024 vs 600x800 for the 6" screen, then 1024/800 = 1.28 or 28% larger.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
Floeee
Groupie

but he has also 7" and if a display is getting bigger, then you have to increase the resolution also

or not?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #12
leafy
leafy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Beware the software restrictions if you think you can usefully export highlighted text.

Whilst Sony says:
Take freehand notes and highlight sections of text you want to revisit later, just as you would in a real book, using the included stylus. If you prefer, a virtual keyboard is also available for entering quick notes or searching your eBooks. If you want, you can even export your notes to your computer using the eBook Library software.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The sad reality is that only the first 100 characters of a highlight can be exported, and sony's current position on the issue is that they are not aware this is an issue.

this means the device is of little value if you are a researcher or student.
leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:37 AM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
leafy:

Ya know...it is crap like that and the Nook's one-off "ability to "lend" a book that makes a person want to wait at least few months before buying into any over-hyped device. I think I am going with a Pocketbook 360 as my general reader and let the big brand bait-n-switch MegaCorp made devices stabilize...and to me the 360 is a better fiction reader design, and yeah, I want a large format device as well...eventually.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #14
zayd
zayd began at the beginning.

Device: none
nature of the dictionary on PRS 900

Will the PRS 900 sold in UK market have a different dictionary content than the PRS 900 sold in the U.S. ie colour instead of color . ZAYD.
zayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #15
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zayd View Post
Will the PRS 900 sold in UK market have a different dictionary content than the PRS 900 sold in the U.S. ie colour instead of color . ZAYD.
Even the one sold in the US has two dictionaries. The

New Oxford American Dictionary
Oxford Dictionary of English

How they compare, I can only guess.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote