Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
fdnyubergeek
fdnyubergeek began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz reader/tablet
Velocity Micro releases Cruz Reader

http://www.cruzreader.com/

VM putting out 7 inch Android tablet. Says available now, but still cannot order. I am very excited to be seeing an Ipad alternative at a great price from a reputable company. Figure I might pick one up as a car device for the kids. No Android Market though.

Video demo

http://www.youtube.com/user/VelocityMicroPC

Last edited by fdnyubergeek; 08-19-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Found link
fdnyubergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
fdnyubergeek

Welcome to mobileread ....

Interesting tablet .... an iPad with USB port
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
fdnyubergeek
fdnyubergeek began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz reader/tablet
Thanks, been a lurker for a while, since my REB 1150 days. learned a lot on here about ereaders and ebooks.

I hope this product pans out. I love the ipad form factor, and lcds don't bother my eyes at all (i'm a tech geek, stare at pcs all day, used to it by now), but I won't drink the apple-aid because I love to tinker too much. I know it is a niche device, but it is exactly the media consumption device I have been looking for.

I figure install Fbreaderj, ACV, and ROckplayer and you have a nice multifunction tablet. Read my cbr, cbz, epubs, and watch some avis. Load some comics for my son on long road trips.

Last edited by fdnyubergeek; 08-19-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added
fdnyubergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Despite it being grey-scale the Pocketbook 901 looks an interesting device - but there are a lot of tablet varieties now available or coming up in the near future ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
These look interesting, but does it make any sense that the Reader and the StoryPad (for kids) use an 800x600 (4:3) screen, but the Tablet uses a cheaper 800x480 (16:9) screen? The Tablet would certainly benefit from the higher resolution screen.
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
These are listed for pre-sale (Available Sept 30) on the Borders site: http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_ereaders
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsebs View Post
These look interesting, but does it make any sense that the Reader and the StoryPad (for kids) use an 800x600 (4:3) screen, but the Tablet uses a cheaper 800x480 (16:9) screen? The Tablet would certainly benefit from the higher resolution screen.
Resolution and aspect ratio are two different things. Comparing 800x600 to 800x480, without mentioning the pixel density (ppi), really tells you nothing execpt the aspect ratio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution
"Note that the use of the word resolution here is a misnomer, though common. The term “display resolution” is usually used to mean pixel dimensions, the number of pixels in each dimension (e.g., 1920×1200), which does not tell anything about the resolution of the display on which the image is actually formed: resolution properly refers to the pixel density, the number of pixels per unit distance or area, not total number of pixels."

I wish mfgs would include ppi in their specs but they hardly ever do. I guess they don't want us to be able to know that gadget A has a sharper, crisper image than gadget B.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
Looks like the display is not capacitive.
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioib View Post
Looks like the display is not capacitive.
According to the Border's Comparison Chart; the Tablet is, while the Reader
isn't.

They look interesting and priced well, but I haven't found where the CPU
is identified in the specs. Makes me wonder if it might be underpowered.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Except for maybe taking notes, a well calibrated resistive touch screen can probably work ok for a reader. I had a smartphone with a resistive touchscreen a couple of years ago. In general, I needed only a bit more effort over a capacitive screen to do basic things on it. Where it really sucked was when fine detailed work was required. But I think you could probably get it to turn pages just fine.
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I ran across a review that mentioned that both the "Reader" and the "Tablet" use an
800mhz CPU.

To my mind that would mean a low to medium level of performance for a 7" tablet but
very high performance for a reader. (My Jetbook Lite like the Jetbook run with 200mhz
ARM9 CPUs)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 AM   #12
Jakie
Connoisseur
Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Blackberry playbook and Q10
According to Slatedroid, the Cruz reader appears to be a rebadged Pandigital Novel! Their arguments seem fairly valid. I imagine that some tweaking might have been done.

John
Jakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #13
Nonfriend
Nonfriend began at the beginning.

Device: blue
hello....
Has anyone heard when the Cruz will be available? Their web site just says August 2010. This could be a nice machine. thanks..
Nonfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #14
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonfriend View Post
hello....
Has anyone heard when the Cruz will be available? Their web site just says August 2010. This could be a nice machine. thanks..
Velocity Micro site states shipping date Sept 18th while Borders is stating Sept 30.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
What has me TOTALY confused is this -

Pandigital Novel (black) review roundup by Nate TG

"No one really liked it that much."

And

Velocity Micro Cruz reader/Pandigital Novel from Slatedroid

"The Reader of the year is here, and it is... the Pandigital Novel"

It reminds me of the nook when it first came out. I tried it as soon as it was in the store and it was absolutely horrible. Now nook owners love it.

Did something like that happen here on MR? Nate TG got the bad copy and Slatedroid got the good one?
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote