Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Any hints on first software update?

Has anyone heard anything about the first software update for the Reader? It's been out over two months now, lots of suggestions have been posted here, emailed to Sony and given to their customer service reps. Maybe I'm just spoiled but I'm used to the first update coming out shortly after release. Any inklings?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
Has anyone heard anything about the first software update for the Reader? It's been out over two months now, lots of suggestions have been posted here, emailed to Sony and given to their customer service reps. Maybe I'm just spoiled but I'm used to the first update coming out shortly after release. Any inklings?
Being the optimistic person that I am, I don't expect an update until late next summer if then. Now if they were to open up the OS to users, I'm sure people on this forum could have one by Christmas.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think late next summer may be a bit overly cautious, but I wouldn't think that we'd see anything until early spring at the earliest. Yeah the Reader's been out a while, and we've given them a lot to think about, but they have to decide which things they can/will do, and actually have time to do them ... I think maybe Feb./Mar. for my guess.

If they'd fully opened the OS to users, I think we'd already have had at least 2 updates by now.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I guess I figured they pushed out "Rev A" for the holiday buying season here in the US and already would have had a list of to-dos that they were busy working on while manufacturing, shipping and buying were taking place.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
What do you mean by "opening the OS"? The OS is Linux, and you can download and change the firmware already. Just set up an ARM cross-compiler toolchain and code away.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Heh, your comment proves the point about having new versions already, igorsk. I mean releasing documentation about how the hardware interacts with the OS & apps so that talented, ahem, 'Independent Developers' like yourself wouldn't have to figure all that out stuff from scratch.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sony released the source of the framebuffer driver, so anyone can find out how to drive it... In fact I'm quite sure that the custom software released fot Librie (e.g. SimpleReader) will work with minimal changes.
I guess that leaves the buttons but those shouldn't be too hard to figure out (and will probably have an interface similar to Librie's).
I would probably make something myself, but I'm not really familiar with Linux programming, and doing it on Windows is sort of awkward too.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
... and doing it on Windows is sort of awkward too.
Why, what's wrong with the Reader having a blue screen... errr grey screen
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:17 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
And I actually like the button assignments on the reader!
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #10
ktb1381
Enthusiast
ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Hey, Sony just released a PS3 firmware update.
ktb1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:05 PM   #11
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
And the PS3 is still very new. So there is hope for a sooner Reader firmware update, too.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The PS3 also outselld the Reader and is a bigger profit component. Plus there are 3rd parties that make packages for the PS3 that can demand changes be implemented quickly so their games play correctly.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:36 AM   #13
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
Maybe I'm naive but as soon as I got my Reader, I checked for a firmware update. I figured there would be some kind of update within the first month or so.

I figured Sony delayed the product because they were trying to get as much done as possible, and then they released the Reader at the last possible minute to catch holiday sales. So I thought there must have been some updates that were just about to be final that didn't make it into production but that were ready one or two months later.
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:45 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree with almost all the suggestions for improvements but, let's face it, there's no "show stopping" bug that makes an update vital - the system seems remarkably stable and bug free. It may not do everything we'd like it to, but what it does do, it does very well. Because of that, I guess there's not really much pressure on Sony to rush out an update.

The "Connect" software is a different story - I really hope we get an upgrade to that ASAP. It's just awful.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:01 AM   #15
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Some items...

The PS3 is a money looser right now and not enough mfg and part defect rejection levels.
They just replace the head of the division that handles the PS3...
They need a update due to major bugs...

The Reader is ok for now... But agree some changes to the software along with a Mac version are needed...

Drats!!!!! Forgot that in the survey about Mac version of the software!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote