Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 03:41 AM   #1
Grauheim
Enthusiast
Grauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Opus; HTC TyTN II
Stumped

I recently purchased an ePub book. It turns out to be formatted very strangely, with an approximately 1" margin to the left and right. On my 5" CyBook Opus, this leaves very little space for text, making the book very unpleasant to read.

I've tried editing the CSS file (called pdlmsr.css in this particular ebook), eventually in frustration changing all margin-left attributes to 0. Nothing gets rid of the massive margin.

Is there some other CSS attribute that I should be considering? I've traced through the XML and CSS, and am coming up stumped.

(I'd post the CSS file, but copyright, blah...)

Any help greatly appreciated!
Grauheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
@page might be involved.

Don't forget that margins can be set with margin-left, etc, but also with plain margin

And there's also padding - that might be wrongly set too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grauheim View Post
I recently purchased an ePub book. It turns out to be formatted very strangely, with an approximately 1" margin to the left and right. On my 5" CyBook Opus, this leaves very little space for text, making the book very unpleasant to read.

I've tried editing the CSS file (called pdlmsr.css in this particular ebook), eventually in frustration changing all margin-left attributes to 0. Nothing gets rid of the massive margin.

Is there some other CSS attribute that I should be considering? I've traced through the XML and CSS, and am coming up stumped.

(I'd post the CSS file, but copyright, blah...)

Any help greatly appreciated!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
...padding-left is another possible culprit, I suppose...
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And there can be the file that declares the page size as well that can be causing this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
Grauheim
Enthusiast
Grauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Opus; HTC TyTN II
Thanks folks, JSWolf was the winner!

I'm really amazed at the poor quality of formatting this publisher was willing to charge full freight for... Grumble, grumble.
Grauheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grauheim View Post
Thanks folks, JSWolf was the winner!

I'm really amazed at the poor quality of formatting this publisher was willing to charge full freight for... Grumble, grumble.
That page descriptor file, I just remove as I don't want to have margins. I also remove it from all the XML files and the OPF as well as the .epub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote