Notices

View Poll Results: Which type of Kindle PW you ordered
wifi 44 75.86%
3G 14 24.14%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #16
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I will only get the wifi version. I have a 3g Kindle Keyboard and I think I've only used the 3g once or twice in the 2.5 years I've had it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yeah, Amazon killed the 3G option by its limitations.
Because of a few hackers, they threw the baby out with the bath water.

If they changed it to unlimited Amazon/Wikipedia and 50megs (or some nominal value) browsing a month, I would jump on it.
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #18
BigFoot48
BigFoot48 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KB, Paperwhite 2, Fire 7"
I bought the 3G version of the Kindle3 because we were RVing then and I thought it might be useful when in the boondocks but we ended up never using the 3G. So I chose the ad and WiFi version of the PW when I ordered it two days ago (shipped today but it must be from China as delivery is estimated at Nov 9!).
BigFoot48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
All my Kindles have been WiFi only. I actually don't even use the WiFi on my Kindle once the initial registration is done, so no point going for the 3G version.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #20
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
WiFi for me all the way. I've never used 3G on my tablets, so I didn't see any need to have it on an ereader.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I hope that they maintain the 3g option. Many people in rural areas who actually read get the 3g option because wifi service is either bad or non-existant. My sister just bought the 3g PPW2 for exactly that reason. She's registered it to my account so that she can not only get all the ebooks I have bought there, but also because I can email books that I've bought elsewhere directly to her unit.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #22
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
3G for me. The very first time I used a wifi model (after having had 3G ones before) I was travelling and went to download a book. Of course, no wifi available for free.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post
Yeah, Amazon killed the 3G option by its limitations.
Because of a few hackers, they threw the baby out with the bath water.

If they changed it to unlimited Amazon/Wikipedia and 50megs (or some nominal value) browsing a month, I would jump on it.
What would the point for Amazon be? Their goal was to make you be able to download your books everywhere -- why would they also pay for your web browsing?

Wikipedia/bing translate/social sharing of passages I also understand, since IT ENHANCES THE READING EXPERIENCE.

Will Amazon make more money by giving people 50 megs free 3g browsing? No, people would buy Kindles and Kindle books anyway. People will buy Kindles b/c they like the 3g access to books, and might not otherwise buy an kindle they feel is useless for their needs, but nobody decides not to buy a kindle because they can't BROWSE for free.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #24
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Meh I've decided to get the paperwhite 2 afterall. I think I'll keep my original paperwhite though just in case I dint like the 2 and it would be nice to have a backup kindle, although I have 3 other ereaders that are supposed to be backups.

I'll be getting the wifi.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 11-07-2013 at 01:24 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #25
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What would the point for Amazon be? Their goal was to make you be able to download your books everywhere -- why would they also pay for your web browsing?

Wikipedia/bing translate/social sharing of passages I also understand, since IT ENHANCES THE READING EXPERIENCE.

Will Amazon make more money by giving people 50 megs free 3g browsing? No, people would buy Kindles and Kindle books anyway. People will buy Kindles b/c they like the 3g access to books, and might not otherwise buy an kindle they feel is useless for their needs, but nobody decides not to buy a kindle because they can't BROWSE for free.
If their goal was to have people buy their books via 3G, why charge extra at all?

You make it sound like I want them to give everyone free 3G.
Amazon was the one that offered it.
All I am saying, instead of crippling the feature, change it to give the upcharge more value.
Ask yourself, why did they stop with 3G everything?
I would guess the #1 reason was the hacking abuse.

By taking everything away but buying content from them, the 3G option is only seems to be for umm... what did P.T. Barnum say?
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was always to provide your books everywhere even if you didn't have a wifi connection.

Amazon offers the data network for free, and just charges you the cost of the 3G hardware.

Amazon's goal wasn't to get everyone to buy the Kindle Paperwhite "because I get free browsing funded by Amazon". They don't make money selling Kindles, they make money selling books. They offer you the option to GET those books anywhere, without relying on a wifi network. What monetary benefit does Amazon get by funding peoples' internet habits? They are not a charity. They are in the business of selling books -- that means making those books accessible anywhere is good marketing.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #27
Serapeum
Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Moon Reader+
3G

I do enough travelling that I can't rely on having access to free WiFi.
Serapeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #28
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I received my 3G but the signal is as dead as a dodo. I have full connection bars on my original Paperwhite. Amazon have offered to send a replacement. But I do wonder if it is this unit, or that Amazon 3G does not work outside the USA - as I am currently travelling. Given that the original PPW can connect fine, maybe despite saying it can be used internationally on 3G, it can't!?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

As long as it is inside the supported areas -- there is a map on Amazon -- you should be able to use 3G just fine, even outside the US. If another 3G Kindle is getting reception in the same place, then this should be totally the fault of a faulty Kindle.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #30
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Amazon did stop the free 3G because some folks figured out how to hack the Kindle Keyboard and use the 3G as a hotspot. The bills were massive and the instructions were available on the web. I don't know how hard it would have been to block that particular hack but I have a feeling that free 3G for life on a device that costs less then most peoples phones would have led to a fair amount of hacking.

I hope they keep the 3G option for folks who struggle with computers, don't have a computer, or don't have WiFi. I think it is a valuable option and I think that Amazon knows that. The WiFi is by far the more popular model, but the 3G is well received and seems to sell pretty well.

My PW2 is my first WiFi only device. I found that I really didn't need the 3G based on how I used the device so why pay the money? We might be giving my DX to my Grandma and the 3G will be useful there. She struggles to use her computer and does not have WiFi in the house.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote