Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
psycholily
psycholily began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo touch keeps disconnecting

I have a Kobo touch with firmware 1.9.14, but i have also tried 1.9.16 and the problem still occurs!
It keeps dropping the connection to my PC, after attempting to transfer files, some will work and then all of a sudden my computer can't find the device any more, it appears in my Computer but when I click on the icon the directory appears to be empty. I've tried different usb ports, but i don't have another cable.

edit: this has happened since the beginning, it even occurred during the original setup! could it be faulty hardware, and would it be worth getting a replacement??

The error messages i get on Calibre are:

calibre, version 0.8.33
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 81, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 429, in _delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 434, in delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 349, in delete_via_sql
OperationalError: unable to open database file

and

calibre, version 0.8.33
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

(2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 81, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 405, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 252, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1013, in _sanity_check
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 175, in free_space
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 133, in _windows_space
error: (2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

Previously these errors occurred once only, after I had re-connected the KT seemed to work as normal and I was able to load books using Calibre, but now this occurs every time I connect the KT.

Could someone please help me, i am completely lost and unable to side-load books to my device, this is devastating
To add to that I have lost my receipt so I probably can't return it :/

Last edited by psycholily; 12-31-2011 at 08:42 PM.
psycholily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Go to ANY computer store and buy a new USB cable and try that. They are not expensive.

You are looking for a "USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male" cable.

Monoprice.com has them ranging from $0.65 to $1.98 depending on length.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
psycholily

Thanks PeterT! I've ordered a new cable on ebay, hopefully that will work. computer stores in my area seem to charge excessively for cables :/
If a new cable doesn't work I may have to try and find the receipt to exchange my KT. I have heard of others having a problem with their KT's micro usb slot in the actual device, and if that's what is happening here then I don't know what to do except get a new one.

Currently I'm working around the problem by connecting a microSD card to my computer and putting all my books onto that with calibre, which seems to work
Old 12-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Most Bricks and Mortar stores charge an arm and a leg for cables! If you're in Canada you could try CanadaComputers.com if they have a store near you.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
psycholily

I'm in Australia
This is just one of the many times I wish I lived in Canada (Though my country is lovely it has the drawback that we miss out on heaps of cool gadgets that just never get released here)
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm having the same problem with a (second) brand new Kobo Touch. The first one I got, at Christmas, wasn't recognized by the computer at all - reproducible on two different machines. The replacement Touch I had to go back and get now has disconnection issues on use.

When it's first plugged in both Windows and Calibre recognize it. However it is only recognized for one action, then it loses connection both in Windows and Calibre. For example - tonight I was trying to download some books to the reader and delete some news subscriptions previously downloaded to the reader. I downloaded the books but couldn't delete the news files on the reader because Calibre errored out, when I checked the USB connection in Windows it couldn't find the device. After ejecting and reconnecting I managed to delete the news files, but then couldn't download more books because both Calibre and Windows couldn't find the device again.

Calibre errors (from memory) were 1. "unable to read free disk space" or 2. "can't open database" or phrases to that effect. I am of the opinion it just couldn't find the device and the error message merely reflect the operation it was trying to perform when it was looking for the device.

I have run through this exercise a number of times and each time the Kobo will only allow one access/action to the device before losing the connection. On ejection and reconnection the cycle repeats.

So far Kobo appears to be batting 0.000. I did some research before it was bought for me and the Kobo appeared to be a good choice for my usage based on Canadian location, mainly epub library books planned for use and price and form factor. However judging from my experience so far I should have done a lot more research into quality control issues! So far I'm not too impressed.

I'd like to know if anyone else has suffered from this type of consistent disconnection problem (I've reproduced it several times) and what solution there is, if any, short of returning it.

Device = Kobo Touch - firmware v1.9.16 (originally activated & setup via current version of Kobo Desktop - main book management program intended to be Calibre)
OS = WinXP SP3
Calibre = v0.8.33

P.S. Just to save someone suggesting it. I have tried on different USB ports, including one hub on which 5 other devices work perfectly, and on different cables. Same result on all ports.

Last edited by plib; 01-05-2012 at 12:38 AM.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
psycholily

plib that is exactly what is happening to me! I get one action or one file transfer, and then it disconnects.
This happens whether I am accessing the KT in windows explorer or calibre.

Have you contacted their customer support? i would be interested to hear what they have to say!

By the way plib, have you tried loading the books onto a microSD card (using a separate card reader) and then putting that into the KT? That is the workaround i have been using for mine so all my books are on the card instead of on the Kobo itself. I just open the MicroSD in Calibre in the "connect to folder" option, and it treats the card as if it is a device.

I am still of course very disappointed that my KT does not work properly :/

Last edited by psycholily; 01-06-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Sound
Sound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

I remember having this issue and reading about it for another device eons ago. This is almost certainly an issue between Windows XP and your USB controller as I've never experienced the problem since.

I can't find a better link (again vauge memory from way back) but these should help: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-6b39e36cd717/
or
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-b833895455d3/

Short answer, if you are still using XP its time to upgrade.
Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Sound,

I'm well aware of various Windows issues and I might be tempted to consider this the answer were I not also running a 2TB drive, a 1.5TB drive, an Iphone, a Palm device and a GPS device off the same integral ports and/or hub I'm having the trouble with the Touch on. Both the drives feed Asus O!Play and Patriot Box Office media devices plus other computers elsewhere in the house over my internal network, which require constant uninterrupted data transfer to play video over those devices. None of them have exhibited any communication or connection problems whatever.

The short answer is that the first Touch I bought wouldn't communicate over USB to my computer at all, it wasn't even recognized as a device, and had to be returned, the second has obvious USB communication problems and will also be returned next week unless I hear from Tier 2 very promptly on Monday.

The third device is looking more and more like a Kindle at the moment. As will anyone else's device that asks me for my opinion on an e-reader.

Last edited by plib; 01-07-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #10
psycholily

I only got the standard response from customer support telling me to do a soft reset then a hard reset. Useless!

I'm still really happy with the device, and I'm not willing to take my chances returning it for a new one because I might get one that's worse! Currently side-loading books onto the microSD is a hassle but beneficial in case I need to do a hard reset because I don't lose anything
Old 01-13-2012, 03:06 AM   #11
Geco
Zealot
Geco doesn't litterGeco doesn't litter

Device: Touch, Aura
I'm having the same problem. But, at home (5 years old desktop PC) KT disconnects when I transfer more than one files at a time... and sometimes didn't even connect.
I've debugged connection and many other things... no hint. I've been in touch also with second-level support, no solution.

The strangest thing is that, instead, connecting KT to my little old EeePC 900/Linux works perfectly, even on batteries! Obviously, I don't have the Kodo Desktop application...
Also office PC works almost perfectly: sometimes, seldom, disconnects but it happens rarely.

Even second-level support told me about the USB driver things... I tried with XP, Vista and now 7, still same old disconnection problem.

I've even tried with a USB battery in the middle, no luck. I'll try with a USB hub soon these weekend (I hope).

Fortunately I have WiFi at home and can connect in office, otherwise it is a real problem!
Geco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I'm sure someone mentioned that they had found different USB chipset makers made a difference...
Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
plib
Guru

There can't be that many USB chipset makers. If Kobo haven't tested the device with all of them then they're not doing either their development or beta testing properly.

That said I changed mine for yet a third device and, so far, it appears to be working. However in two days I'll be beyond the Christmas return period and if this thing goes south again then Kobo are paying to fix it!