Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
tb74
tb74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
How do non-B&N ePubs fare?

I am debating getting a Nook touch but had a few questions first, a million apologies if they been covered elsewhere in the board.
  1. Do non-B&N epub book covers display properly? (Assuming they have one, that is)
  2. How easy is it to change the cover art for both B&N books and non B&N books without using Calibre or metadata edit tool? Can the images be simply swapped out from their location on the unit itself (as they can on the Sony readers)?
  3. How does the pagination work on the Nook Touch? I currently have the Sony PRS-650 and the page progress is not dynamic, so often shows odd page locations such as "213-214 of 264". The Kobo on the other hand only shows chapter progress (unless it's a side-loaded epub, in which case it's only overall page location). I'm hoping the Nook shows chapter AND overall location AND dynamically re-formats if I should happen to change my font size. Any luck?
Thanks all!
tb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Well, I use Calibre to manipulate book covers since the program is free and it is easy to do. THere might be a way to do this as you suggest, just swapping picture files, but I'm not inclined to test this. But ebook distributers such as Smashwords contain book covers that show on the Nook with no modification needed.

For question no. 3: pagination shows a single page at the bottom of the screen, but this page number may not change for 2 or 3 page turns. I suspect that the page number is related to the original pagination tied to the ebook. The Nook does Not show chapter headings.

Victor
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb74 View Post
I am debating getting a Nook touch but had a few questions first, a million apologies if they been covered elsewhere in the board.
  1. Do non-B&N epub book covers display properly? (Assuming they have one, that is)
  2. How easy is it to change the cover art for both B&N books and non B&N books without using Calibre or metadata edit tool? Can the images be simply swapped out from their location on the unit itself (as they can on the Sony readers)?
  3. How does the pagination work on the Nook Touch? I currently have the Sony PRS-650 and the page progress is not dynamic, so often shows odd page locations such as "213-214 of 264". The Kobo on the other hand only shows chapter progress (unless it's a side-loaded epub, in which case it's only overall page location). I'm hoping the Nook shows chapter AND overall location AND dynamically re-formats if I should happen to change my font size. Any luck?
Thanks all!
If the book does not show the cover, then you have to do some tweaking for it to show. An option is to do an ePub to ePub conversion in Calibre, the other is to manually edit the ePub and edit the metadata (my preferred choice). So, the short answer to your question is "not possible".

In general, there is no difference between sideloaded books and books bought from B&N. I believe you can't use the social media stuff on sideloaded books (for quotes and such), but I haven't used those features, so I could be mistaken, though I believe other people have mentioned this.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
In response to Item 2, no, you can't swap out the images in buried folder locations for the cover thumbnails like you can on the Sony. I also do not think it is possible to change the B&N book covers since it is syncing those books with the B&N servers.

Also, there may be an issue with how covers are displayed for DRM versus non-DRM'ed books. With my Nook Color, which has similar firmware, the non-DRM'ed books mostly have covers. If not, then I do a calibre conversion as noted in the previous posts. However, the DRM'ed books (like ones I purchased from the Sony or Kobo bookstores) show a generic icon rather than the cover art. Perhaps somebody can clarify if the Nook Touch has this same issue.

Item 3. The pagination will be similar to your Sony. That's the nature of EPUB's. It does not dynamically repaginate for font sizes. On the other hand, if you were to go to Page 213 on the Nook Touch, then you will see the same text as Page 213 on your Sony.

FYI - If you have a really large library of non-B&N books, then you will probably need to store them on SD card rather than the Touch main memory. The Touch only has 250MB of its internal memory allocated to side-loaded books; the rest is reserved for B&N content.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Item 3. The pagination will be similar to your Sony. That's the nature of EPUB's. It does not dynamically repaginate for font sizes.
No, it's "the nature of Adobe's firmware", which both nook and Sony use. It's certainly not "inherent" in ePub files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
what is the best reader then for side loaded epubs? I'm currently using the ipad ibooks, but would like to get a smaller dedicated reader as well.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Nook, Kobo and Sony all work well with sideloaded ePubs. I'm sure others do as well, but those I have tried.
Of the three Sony is the one that makes me feel most "independent", followed by Kobo and then Nook last of the three. The reason Nook is last is because of the home page trying to get me to go to the store and buy books.
I more or less only use sideloaded content and hate the syncing to my store libraries where I have to archive (or similar) all books I don't want to show up on my reader.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can't you just leave wi-fi off and use it like a sony?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, you can leave the WiFI off and use it like the Sony. The Nook home page will still show BN material though, but you really don't need to visit the home page.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
It should be mentioned that dictionary look-ups work the same whether you got the book from B&N or from another bookstore.

Last edited by 6charlong; 08-15-2011 at 09:49 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it still the case that only a small portion of the storage space is available for user-loaded content?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:19 AM   #12
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is it still the case that only a small portion of the storage space is available for user-loaded content?
Yes, of the on-board 2 (?) GB only around 250 MB is available for sideloaded content. But you can use a mikro SD and things stored there are handled the same and can use all functions as well.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #13
drofgnal
Wizard

250 mb can be a lot of books.

Does side loading work by plugging the nook into a usb port and using drag and drop?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, the same as with any other reader; it just mounts as an external storage device.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:39 AM   #15
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Yes, of the on-board 2 (?) GB only around 250 MB is available for sideloaded content. But you can use a mikro SD and things stored there are handled the same and can use all functions as well.
There are a copule of problems with sideloaded content. The first is related to the fact that you might have problems with the covers, the second (which is more of a bug) is that if you use shelves to catalog content, sooner or later (like turning it off and on) you might lose the shelves content for the sideloaded.
Whilst the first issue does not worry me too much, the second is not so nice. It must have to do with the fact that the underlying Androis OS has to mount the microSD when it wakes up, and this does not finish in time sufficient for the application to find again the shelved content. Having said that, you can read all manner of epubs, B&N and Adobe drm type without any problem. Which is positive.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, nook, sony 650