Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #1
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
Survey: Top 3-5 features you *require* in an ereader?

I don't mean what would be nice, I mean what you have to have or you won't buy one.

I humble myself at the feet of the galaxy of ereader experts regarding my own..

1. (Essential): Portable - fits in a breast or at least a trouser pocket
2. (Essential): Versatile - can read books sold by multiple sellers
3. (Essential): Books - excellent selection of books at a reasonable price
4. (Important): Simple - don't need to have a computer to use device
5. (Important): Anonymous - Payment in cash, no registration

Everything else is fluff
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The Jetbook and Jetbook Lite would fit all of those qualifications.

1. Its small and light
2. Its one of the most versatile readers currently being sold-reads just about any format
3. books can be bought from anywhere except Amazon and read on this reader
4. Just put your books on an SD card, and insert the SD card into the reader. Never have to hook the reader up.
5. Yep.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The Jetbook and Jetbook Lite would fit all of those qualifications.

1. Its small and light
2. Its one of the most versatile readers currently being sold-reads just about any format
3. books can be bought from anywhere except Amazon and read on this reader
4. Just put your books on an SD card, and insert the SD card into the reader. Never have to hook the reader up.
5. Yep.
I think hermes asked for our requirements, not our recommendations, booklover6.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is the "Which one should I buy" forum. Its purpose is to ask for recommendations.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Yes but the title of hermes' thread is
Quote:
Survey: Top 3-5 features you *require* in an ereader?
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Ok, if that's the way you want it <g>

My requirements are

1. Versatility in formats - as many as possible
2. Ability to side load (with no prohibiting partition)
3. Simple - I don't want to spend hours learning to use it
4. Preferred but not required - SD card for expansion
5. Preferred but not required - ability to email documents wirelessly to the reader
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
- possibility to use my own fonts
- external memory (sd cards)
- book organisation in folders
- user-removable battery
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
1. Native font and formatting options. I'm looking at you with a disappointing frown, Sony.
2. File structure (I much prefer a real directory system).
3. Epub support. Pretty much rules the Kindle out for me, just out of principle. The industry should wholeheartedly support this format.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
A really crisp, clear screen.

Everything else icing on the cake.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
In order of importance.

These are non-negotiable:
1- One-handed reading ergonomics, preferably ambidextrous, preferably by rotation
2- Broad typographic overrides, for both DRMed and unconstrained ebooks, preferably as user defined defaults
3- extended real-world batery life

Those are highly desirable:
4- Broad legacy ebook format support. Document file support not critical, image and epaper formats deprecated
5- Nested, unconstrained ebook storage with side-loading, preferably using a user-defined structure. Flat file database a big no-no. Hidden object store a deal breaker.

Three guiding principles:
1- it's *my* reader for *my* content and *my* eyeballs
2- must not break immersion during extended reading sessions
3- it's an *ebook* reader not a document viewer or media player
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
1. Portable
2. Internet capability ( wifi/3G) to allow direct download of books to device
3. Dedicated online store
4. Good battery life
5. Ample storage capacity/ ability to read books on other devices
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
PaulineDesigns
Connoisseur
PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, HS M700, Axim w/uBook
I read an average of 150 books per year. I started reading ebooks on my computer in 2000 and switched to using uBook software on a Dell Axim PDA in 2003. Now I use a Hip Street ereader from Walmart.

My top required features are:
1. Must be a generic device--no locking in or DRM
2. LCD screen. I read mostly in poorly lit locations and one of the biggest pluses for me when I switched to the PDA was no more messing with booklights that never lit the page evenly. I've tried a Kindle and hated it.
3. Non-capacitive touchscreen with the ability to tap for page turns
4. Instant page turns. I read fairly fast (avg 800 words/min) and find slow page turns very irritating.
5. Maximum 7" screen--that's what my current ereader has I find the device to be a little too big. When I shop for a new reader I'll be looking for something with a 5" screen or maybe 6".
PaulineDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
Not too expensive
if its a touch screen- the touch should be very responsive
Able to access any bookstore for reading
Being able to pay anonomously
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
1. Crisp, clear screen. The more contrast, the better.
2. Can read .epub and .pdf, and other formats as well if possible.
3. PDF reflow. Controversial, I know, and I know that I can convert PDFs in Calibre, and that I most often read PDFs on my iPad, but I do often read files of an academic nature on my Sony reader, and the PDF reflow has been very useful to me.
4. A toss up between good battery life and dictionary lookup. I didn't realize how often the dictionary lookup would get used until I actually bought a device with that feature.
5. Portable. It doesn't have to be 5 inches as I carry my reader in a purse and not in my pocket, but I don't want to be carrying something that is too large and heavy, either.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #15
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
1. Clear, non-backlit screen
2. Good battery life
3. Good support available in case of malfunction
4. Can sideload easily
5. Adequate storage to hold at least 1500 books
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote