Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #16
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Yes!

Why did a factory reset not occur to me? I was stuck on the paperclip reset and forgot about the reset under settings. I'm now connected to my home network, am downloading the firmware update, and am a little nervous about suddenly having unrestricted access to the Kobo store!

Thank you, JCKobo! I can go back to unreserved adulation of my Kobo again.

For other Bell customers, we, too, have a 2701HG-G modem/router.

Last edited by Suzanna; 10-27-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: To clarify router info.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #17
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Awesome!

The paperclip reset switch is just a reboot of the device. The factory reset actually erases it and reinstalls the software from the internal factory backup.

If you get really stuck, it's our attempt at a 'get out of jail' card
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #18
kjturner71
kjturner71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Problem has been solved and I chalk this one up to Kobo. The problem is that every time I entered the wi-fi security password, I would hit "Show Password" so I could verify that I entered it correctly. Then I would click "Join Network" and it wouldn't connect. So last night I thought I'd try one more time, and this time I didn't show the password before I tried to join and that solved the problem. IMHO, I think that should be considered a bug in Kobo. It shouldn't matter if the password is hidden or revealed!

Thanks to all who have tried to help me resolve this!
kjturner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #19
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjturner71 View Post
Problem has been solved and I chalk this one up to Kobo. The problem is that every time I entered the wi-fi security password, I would hit "Show Password" so I could verify that I entered it correctly. Then I would click "Join Network" and it wouldn't connect. So last night I thought I'd try one more time, and this time I didn't show the password before I tried to join and that solved the problem. IMHO, I think that should be considered a bug in Kobo. It shouldn't matter if the password is hidden or revealed!
Sounds pretty strange.
If I recall people have problems with hidden ssid. Hidden pass should have
nothing with connection. Device calls wpa_supplicant or alike. To hide pass
is on the layer that makes life easy for user without keyboard. What might
be is that connecting to wireless router takes root account and showing
password another one. Actually, I'm puzzled. Interesting, indeed.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #20
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjturner71 View Post

Thanks to all who have tried to help me resolve this!
This definitely should not matter. I've connected a lot with the password revealed, can you PM me your Wifi configuration so that we can try and recreate the scenario here?
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #21
nickridiculous
Kobo wifi beta tester
nickridiculous began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Sao,
Please try a factory reset on your device before giving up. That has been helpful for other customers.
BAMP!

Mine was flakey but it picked up my network after being reset.

How come it doesn't say that Kobo is still in beta testing right on the box?
nickridiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #22
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The Kobo is not--the latest firmware update (which is delivering some features of the WiFI Kobo) is in beta. Kobo 1.4 was fine--just didn't do everything the new firmware and improved desktop program will deliver. Firmware that may be released later will also have a beta period. It's part of the testing/development process. I'm betting that most of us wish that 1.7.3 of the desktop software had been tested a bit more before it was released
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #23
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I'm betting that most of us wish that 1.7.3 of the desktop software had been tested a bit more before it was released
We're working hard to improve that testing through our current beta program - getting software out of the Kobo offices and into real users hands to get us feedback. We're committed to doing this more and more as we release new feature updates.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #24
bpainter
bpainter began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
Thanks

I was having the same connection problem shown in this thread and I tried the factory reset and it ended the endless frustration.
Many thanks.
bpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #25
Lowla
Lowla began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I have had the same problem since I bought mine on Oct 29, and the KOBO support has been absolutely no help at all.
I have reset the unit - didn't work
I have exchanged it - still doesn't work.
I can't manually add a mac address becasue the bell sympatico software to manage my wifi won't let me. I am not prepared to delete this application, and sicne kob advertises the Bell network, I don't see why I should have to.
My wifi is protected by 128 bit WEP encryption - same as above, with a 26 character password. My wifi router is the one provided by Bell - I think its a slipstream?
Anyway, searching through the wifi software, I found a log, which reports this error:
"[Mac address for my KOBO] - Association failed. Responding station does not support the specified authentication algorithm."
I have 5 other devices on my wifi, and am not prepared to randomly change my wifi settings just to try something to see if it works. The settings of my wifi are the default settings from Bell - I haven't changed a thing.
I still have an open ticket with KOBO support, and have told them everything above, and haven't heard from them since Nov 16 - crazy lack of support/customer service going on there!
I haven't been able to escalate my complaint either! Every time I'm connected with someone to outline my issues, I get voice mail!

Obviously the device doesn't support either WEP, 128 bit key, or the 26 characters. I will change if I have some sort of assurance that it would work, and it's not a guess or try this type of thing.
I've asked them to tell me what to change it to, but, of course, no response!

For a company that advertises WIFI, and specifies the Bell network, this is almost false advertising! And to launch a product without adequate support/knoweldge is just poor customer service. While I intend to keep the unit for its readability and weight, I am dissatisfied that I am paying full price for a unit that does not function as advertised.

Sorry this is lengthy - I wanted to be sure any techies had as much information as possible!

If you have a solution, I am all ears! but please - no guesses, I've played around enough!
Lowla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #26
Lowla
Lowla began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I have been having exaclty the same problem, and just joined this forum and posted a long post outlinging my issues!

I have been doing the exact same thing as you nad not been able to connect! I will try this without hitting show password and see if that works!

Thanks so much for posting this!
Lowla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #27
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I have Bell Sympatico with WEP encryption (26 character password). It's a fibe network modem ... not sure what bit that would be.

Are you doing a factory reset, which is found under the "settings" option on the Kobo? That's what finally worked for me. My husband also has a WiFi Kobo and he was able to connect to the network without any problems.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #28
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowla View Post
I can't manually add a mac address becasue the bell sympatico software to manage my wifi won't let me. I am not prepared to delete this application, and sicne kob advertises the Bell network, I don't see why I should have to.
My wifi is protected by 128 bit WEP encryption - same as above, with a 26 character password. My wifi router is the one provided by Bell - I think its a slipstream?
This is not such a strong protection. Wpa2, aes is much better.

Quote:
"[Mac address for my KOBO] - Association failed. Responding station does not support the specified authentication algorithm."
Some devices are stubborn after few tries. I would reboot the router first.
Funny name for that is "shock the monkey".

Quote:
I have 5 other devices on my wifi, and am not prepared to randomly change my wifi settings just to try something to see if it works. The settings of my wifi are the default settings from Bell - I haven't changed a thing.
Defaults are often wrong choice. Some channels are better than others.
Or good but populated at your flat. One possibility you could look at is
that your router gives a finite number of leases. Device asks for ip address
and router makes "hand shake", giving that address as a result. If it is set
to give no more that 5 addresses, here you are. Some stupid routers do not
clear mac-address hash and you cannot ask for new one till you reboot.

Quote:
Obviously the device doesn't support either WEP, 128 bit key, or the 26 characters. I will change if I have some sort of assurance that it would work, and it's not a guess or try this type of thing.
I would start at manual. Or this:
http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cf...ntent_id=12804

Quote:
If you have a solution, I am all ears! but please - no guesses, I've played around enough!
Well, that is not possible. One older post mentioned changing reader to
factory defaults. If it helps, perfect. If the problem is on router side, how
could we know about configuration, aside you said it was 'default"? If you
ask me, I'd take better router. For a cheap deal, linksys wrt54gl with
dd-wrt firmware.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #29
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There are different types of security used by wireless networks. The Kobo eReader supports WEP, WPA, and WPA2 Personal. Folks are successfully using all of them with a whole bunch of different routers. Routers can be finicky little buggers, but my assumption would be that once you have tried a reset of the Kobo, other problems you are having reside with the router setup.

If you can connect your Kobo to any other secured WiFi network (for example a friend's secure network) then you will know for sure. IMHO, Kobo's responsibility is to assure that you have a device that will connect to a properly configured router--not to provide tech support regarding how you set up your particular router.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #30
zoran
himself

After rereading posts, I have a question regarding sympatico software.
Where it is installed? I assume a modem in front of router. They talk
protocol to each other and I see no place for third part. How it interacts
with kobo reader?
My interest is out of curiosity. Do all people having particular problem
use the same provider? Or proprietary protocol, that troubles reader?

Tags
kobo, wifi