Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #31
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
He said-

Well, I don't know what to say. I guess from what you say, I might be in trouble if I use some other viewer. But for now, its only for me and I only have the calibre viewer and my Kindle Fire and all is well
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:34 AM   #32
weberr
New old guy
weberr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
So I can't rely on the calibre viewer to see if I'm going to get what I am trying to do? How about the Kindle previewer -- any experience with it? What do you use or like to do the job. For the near future the edited book is only for me and my Fire, But I guess to do the job right I should test it for other viewers too.
weberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:40 AM   #33
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Use each software for it's purposed use, meaning, Kindle Preview for Kindle, Sony Reader for PC for Sony etc...
I found that what ever works on Calibre works on the iPad and vice versa.
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:28 AM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
Use each software for it's purposed use, meaning, Kindle Preview for Kindle, Sony Reader for PC for Sony etc...
I found that what ever works on Calibre works on the iPad and vice versa.
No disrespect to Kovid, but I don't use the Calibre viewer as an indicator of ANY reader out there; it's simply not a good predictor. Does Calibre reflect that centering glitch with iBooks, odedta?

Kindle previewer gives you an extremely accurate indicator of how your book will look on the listed devices. ADE is a good predictor of how a book will look on Nook, but so is Nook for PC (the latter obviously is better). If you're a mac user, there's an iBooks-reader app now. Sony Reader for PC is accurate for Sony, insofar as I've found.

At last count, we had over a dozen devices here, not counting various smartphones for testing those reading apps, plus a few tablets. I don't think if you're making the book for yourself, you need go quite that nuts, but if you look to do any real bookmaking, for clients, whatever, you'll need to start investing in devices.

That's my $.02.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #35
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I think you might say that if it fails in the calibre viewer it will likely fail on other devices/viewers. If it succeeds in the calibre viewer, it is not an indication that it will work on any particular device and in jest I might say the devices are mighty particular.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #36
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
No disrespect to Kovid, but I don't use the Calibre viewer as an indicator of ANY reader out there; it's simply not a good predictor. Does Calibre reflect that centering glitch with iBooks, odedta?
Neither am I and that's what I said... to which centering glitch are you referring to?

The only difference I saw between the Calibre viewer and the iPad's iBooks app is Calibre's inability to display the aside footnote pop-ups as beautifully as the iPad does, it basically renders them as regular links.
I even one day tried to find a javascript solution for other devices to show asides like the iPad does but then I remembered they will have to support Javascript so I dropped it :P
Old 06-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #37
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
Neither am I and that's what I said... to which centering glitch are you referring to?

The only difference I saw between the Calibre viewer and the iPad's iBooks app is Calibre's inability to display the aside footnote pop-ups as beautifully as the iPad does, it basically renders them as regular links.
I even one day tried to find a javascript solution for other devices to show asides like the iPad does but then I remembered they will have to support Javascript so I dropped it :P
The pretty-infamous centering glitch? The one where if you don't wrap content in interior spans, in addition to centering them doesn't work? iBooks has had a glitch, certainly still in existence on 1st-gen iPads, that doesn't recognize the text-align property in CSS. It only works if you enclose a second element within the p class (or image class, etc.) that has the text-align property.

n.b.: this glitchyness also seems to affect K4iOS, FWIW.

ETA: Here's a link from Liz's blog about some of it (it's not just iBooks, either, although I don't know if it's been cleared up across all readers: http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...-ereaders.html )

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 06-13-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Added reference link
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #38
odedta
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Lol! I did not know that :/ damnit, these little hacks really get you pissed sometimes

Hitch.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:03 AM   #39
weberr
New old guy
weberr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Thanks for your 2 cents -- I'm just starting down that road -- right now I wouldn't let anyone else see what I did. But, someday ...... I had no idea that each viewer did its own thing, I really thot if I just get the language correct it would work exactly the same on every viewer.
weberr is offline   Reply With Quote