Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Author Sort Carrying over from Calibre to Kindle

I know this must be the most simple, dead stupid question ever, but for some reason I can't seem to get this done in Calibre.

I have books in Calibre with the authors listed on the main screen Firstname Lastname, and when you go into metadata, you see the proper author sort, Lastname, Firstname. So under author it's Charles Dickens and under author sort Dickens, Charles. Perfect.

But when I copy that file over into the Kindle, the book ends up listed under C for Charles instead of D for Dickens. Even if I run a mobi to mobi conversion on it first. I must be doing something obvious wrong, but I have no idea what it is.

To get it to sort right on the Kindle, I have been opening the file in Mobi2Mobi GUI and changing the author (EXTH 100) to Lastname, Firstname. On the Kindle it shows as Firstname Lastname, but it sorts correctly.

Please don't laugh. Thanks.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In Preferences->Output Options->MOBI set the "Use author_sort as author" option. And never fear, if anyone needs to be laughed at in this situation, it is Amazon, for creating an ebook format with no support for author sort names.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Thank you!! I knew it must be a check box somewhere I was missing

I will be happy to say goodbye to mobi2mobi forever.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Maxine Woycieh
Maxine Woycieh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

This problem has been driving me, and my OCD issues, batty!
Maxine Woycieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #5
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
In Preferences->Output Options->MOBI set the "Use author_sort as author" option. And never fear, if anyone needs to be laughed at in this situation, it is Amazon, for creating an ebook format with no support for author sort names.

I cannot get this to work. I tried several books several times and it still outputs it so that once on the Kindle it is sorted by first name. I tripled checked that "Use author_sort author is checked and that the author sort field was entered as Last, First. Help?
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Anyone?
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Shouldn't this be checked by default then?

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-04-2013 at 08:13 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
I cannot get this to work. I tried several books several times and it still outputs it so that once on the Kindle it is sorted by first name. I tripled checked that "Use author_sort author is checked and that the author sort field was entered as Last, First. Help?
It doesn't work for me either, at least not with the newer conversions I've done. Some of the books I converted a while back in earlier versions of Calibre work as they should.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I tested the option and setting it causes the author field in the mobi file to be correctly set to the author sort value. The rest is up to the Kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
schambers
schambers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Well at least I'm not crazy, because I'm not the only one. No matter how I set the "use author_sort as author" flag, my new Kindle Fire sorts by first name. Does anyone know of a work around?
schambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #11
schambers
schambers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Here's what I did:

1) In Calibre, I set the author name to be LN, FN
2) I converted the book to .mobi
3) I changed the author back to FN LN in Calibre

When I downloaded the book to my Kindle, it sorted correctly.
schambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
So again, why isn't this the default option?

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-04-2013 at 08:14 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
Smile Author sort

That was one of the reasons I bought Sony, I have about 2000 books on my T2, all loaded through Calibre (thank you Korvid) and all sorted into bookshelves by author.
So I can run a book search by author then click on the one I want to get the book list.
So so easy to find both author and book
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote