Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

View Poll Results: What is Your Opinion of the Percentage Reading in the jetBook Status Bar?
I like it. 9 64.29%
It doesn't bother me. 2 14.29%
I don't like it. 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
What Percent are You at in Your Current jetBook Read?

I just thought it would be a fun exercise to see what percentage everyone is at in there current jetBook read.

Since it's my thread, I'll go first. I'm at 4.73%. Hey, I just started! I'm hoping to get to at least 31.05% by the end of the day. That way I'll only have 68.95% to go! How easy was that to calculate!

I'm SO glad the folks at Ectaco decided to add this percentage feature to the status bar. I don't know how I ever managed without it. Page numbers never did ANYTHING for me, aside from telling me what page I was on.

But as we all know, our jetBook needs more pages than are in a normal book. So even after turning a page, the page number doesn't always change. This was always SO frustrating to me, making definite progress but not having it show in any tangible way!

Oh I know what you are thinking. The progress bar down the right side of the screen, right? But it's so lame! It only gives a visual indication of the progress you have made. The new percentage reading tells me exactly, to the HUNDRETH!

Why this thread itself couldn't even continue without it. I mean how would you answer, "ABOUT half way", "AROUND a third finished", "ALMOST done"?

To my knowledge, NO other ebook reader on the market has this feature. I wonder why?

Please vote in the poll.

Last edited by galavanter; 10-29-2009 at 05:48 PM.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I don't own one, but when I am reading my Sony Reader 505 I think of the pages in terms of percentages. As most of the world is not reading the same page I am, I will usually talk in terms of 1/5, 1/100, 1/3, 1/2, etc of where I am in the book.

This is especially true when I change the size of the text as the pages change and grow with the size of the font. I think the percentage meter is an awesome idea and I wished other companies would do the same!

-Seth
San Francisco, CA
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
This poll is for jetBook owners only. You've skewed my data! jk.

It appears I am in the minority on this.

I don't even like the fact that the tiny led blinks every time you turn a page. I don't want anything moving or changing that might take me out of the book. I'm also glad there is no clock in the status bar.

Lastly, while reading literature, I have no interest in doing math. But that's just me.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I see that at this point there are 7 votes. Are there many more than 7 jetBook owners here?

I've been swayed by the unanimous enthusiasm the few have for the device, but I get the impression that there are less than a dozen jetBook owners here.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I've been swayed by the unanimous enthusiasm the few have for the device, but I get the impression that there are less than a dozen jetBook owners here.
There are quite a bit more, but... after my initial enthusiasm for the device wore down, I found myself doing other things than frequenting MR. Reading on the jetBook but not feeling the need to talk about it much. Others may be in the same boat.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I like percentage feature and I also think that ALL features in jetBook very helpful
and makes sense to me. I would say about jetBook: MADE BY Smart PEOPLE.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
i havent posted on MR in a while lol but the new percentage on the jetBook is really awesome.

reading lost symbol by dan brown - 68.21%

TO THE HUNDRETHS PLACE W00t W00T
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
My wifes new jetbook has it, mine doesn't.
I suspect if I upgrade firmware I'll have it.

Which may keep me from upgrading for a bit.

In my opinion its just another distraction.

When I get to the last page is soon enough to think about what next.
Now if they'd put it in settings, so you could "choose" to have it display or not.
Thats the kind of thing I would like to see. More options, more control.

But please leave the control in my grubby little hands.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote