Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Question How long does it take to get new firmware?

Hi,

I have got a Touch running 2.5.2 and it still hasn't downloaded the new 2.6.1 firmware released in June 2013.

Just how long is the longest one has to wait for a new firmware to be delivered?

Thanks,

Steve
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
Hi,

I have got a Touch running 2.5.2 and it still hasn't downloaded the new 2.6.1 firmware released in June 2013.

Just how long is the longest one has to wait for a new firmware to be delivered?

Thanks,

Steve
I am presuming you have an older model (mark 3) as I do. It would be nice if Kobo or someone who works for them would actually tell us what is happening.

Oh look a pig is flying past
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
I am presuming you have an older model (mark 3) as I do. It would be nice if Kobo or someone who works for them would actually tell us what is happening.

Don't know what mark it is, but it's an N905B whatever that means.

Steve
Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Chocky
Addict

Just done a search, and yes it's a mark 3.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
i installed the 2.8.1 manually, it seems a bit faster but bugs are still here
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pietro View Post
i installed the 2.8.1 manually, it seems a bit faster but bugs are still here
I think 2.8.1 is only for the N905C Model.

Steve
Old 08-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
Quote:

Steve
mine is B
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post

LMFAO. That's about the size of it.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
There was a 2.6.1 release for the Touch N905/N905B (mark 3 hardware) which stopped being delivered when the 2.6.1b release for the mark 4 hardware appeared. I've put 2.6.1b on a couple of Touch N905Bs and later updated them manually to 2.8.1 with the mark 4 installer. So far I haven't had any issues reported. However, the visual difference between the firmware versions on the Touch or Mini is pretty minimal as the Aura/Glo tiled interface is not being used on the lower resolution Kobos.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Steve
It can take from 1 min to an extended several weeks for a release to hit you. As to why Kobo does not allow one to manually download the firmware like all other companies that offer updates I can not say. I suppose that if logic was applied, it was to keep bugs and kinks to a minimum impact if at all possible, with the various revisions to the hardware.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by _pietro View Post
mine is B
Installs and works flawless on a N905 old Touch. Firmware 2.8.1. can be installed on all e-ink devices.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
I hope that someone at Kobo will tell us when they intend to stop updating the Kobo Touch. It cannot be far off as we expect a new device either for back to school or Christmas (Phoenix). There are no longer any updates for the original or WiFi versions.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Installs and works flawless on a N905 old Touch. Firmware 2.8.1. can be installed on all e-ink devices.
Perhaps that should have been any Kobo e-ink touch interface devices. I wouldn't care to try installing it on a Kobo original or Kobo WiFi without the bootable SD card handy to recover.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #14
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
I had a N905, and the 2.6.1 version updated automatically. then - the problems begun. Especially the books on the SD-card hadn't been recognised any more. But at last, the whole system became confused, and I had to send the device in. I received another N905 in return, with the 2.5.2 version. I asked the Kobo guys and they said there is another update at work, but they cannot say when it is to be released. Due to my experiences, I would not recommend to update anything manually. Allt he more that 2.5.2 runs (almost) without difficulties.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #15
Chocky
Addict

I asked Kobo support about this and they sent me this....

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience but we can definitely help you with this.

Sometimes, due to having an outdated version of the Kobo Desktop Application on your computer will not download the latest update for your eReader. Therefore, we suggest that you proceed on uninstalling and reinstalling the Kobo Desktop at first, and then sync your library to your eReader.

Having mentioned the above, none of your books will not be affected. Below, we have attached the steps in order to do this. We suggest that you try the following:

* Please sign out of the Kobo Desktop Application by clicking on the account icon (the little man icon), and then clicking "Sign Out". Then, perform the uninstall and reinstall to refresh the application completely.

Uninstall the Desktop Application (Windows).

1. From the Windows Start menu, click Control Panel.
2. Click Add/Remove Programs, Uninstall a program, or Programs and Features (depending on your version of Windows).
3. Click Kobo from the list of installed applications.
4. Click Uninstall/Change.
5. Click Uninstall.
6. Click Close.
7. Restart the Computer.

Then please install the latest version of the Desktop Application (Windows).

1. Navigate to the Kobo website http://www.kobosetup.com/pc/explorer.
2. Double-click the saved file.
3. Follow the installation wizard.
4. Once installed, restart the computer.

We were glad to assist you today. If you have further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to write or call us.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team

Done it, still no update.