Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #16
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Yeah figured I was getting ahead of myself but I thought there may have been rumors floating around that I hadn't seen.

It has been thought about though the $20.00 price tag would seem a little over optimistic.
http://www.olpcnews.com/content/eboo...ok_reader.html
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
Yeah figured I was getting ahead of myself but I thought there may have been rumors floating around that I hadn't seen.

It has been thought about though the $20.00 price tag would seem a little over optimistic.
http://www.olpcnews.com/content/eboo...ok_reader.html
Well certainly not the selling price if that is what you mean.
http://www.martin-woodhouse.co.uk/page76aa.html

clearly shows it is the build cost for quantity 1 million and up. This does not include any software. Still it is ambitious. Following the links shows an interesting reading software that is basically a dos executable. Probably not too many best sellers would be in that format .

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
clearly shows it is the build cost for quantity 1 million and up. This does not include any software. Still it is ambitious. Following the links shows an interesting reading software that is basically a dos executable. Probably not too many best sellers would be in that format .

Dale[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it was ahead of its time, but I find the format laughable, now. How much longer will most people be able to run a DOS executable? I can't and I'm running XP. (The file I need is broken.)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #19
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Quote:

Dale
I'm sure it was ahead of its time, but I find the format laughable, now. How much longer will most people be able to run a DOS executable? I can't and I'm running XP. (The file I need is broken.)
I can, and I'm running XP, too.

But it assumes an Intel X86 CPU, and I couldn't find anything that talked about how you got content into Illumination format.

And Great Ghu, what fugly and poorly designed web pages...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

Dale
I'm sure it was ahead of its time, but I find the format laughable, now. How much longer will most people be able to run a DOS executable? I can't and I'm running XP. (The file I need is broken.)[/QUOTE]

I was able to run and display inventor on my XP system. I opened a CMD window and then installed the download. If made a folder called bedtime on the drive of my choice and inside the folder I changed to Inventor and then ran the inventor.bat file. Lo and behold it turn my cmd window into full screen and displayed the book. What a blast from the past. It is the same book you can read on the web using a browser.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert