Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #406
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
This is one of the reasons I don't think being tied into Amazon is a good idea. You get your account closed and you lose access to your content and the ability to buy new content.
Can you honestly tell me that you don't have an Amazon account, Jon? C'mon... tell the truth. You'll feel better. You do don't you? Even if it's only to take advantage of free books. You can tell me... I can keep a secret. Spill it.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #407
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Now, now, Rob, just be thankful we have people like ThomasC around, who, despite the presence of a highly-effective moderation staff, know the responsibility rests squarely on their shoulders to tell everyone else what they should talk about, how MR should be run, and what is worthy of everyone's attention.

What would we do without posts like his? It would be anarchy, I tell you! We'd all be wasting precious minutes of our lives discussing stuff and joking with each other, when ThomasC knows very well what threads should be closed, and could have saved us from ourselves!

Thank you ThomasC, on behalf of all the membership of MR, thank you! And I'm sure I speak for the moderators, who I'm sure appreciate you telling them how to to their job. Thank you!

ApK
Not trying to tell you what to read or not. Just giving my opinion on this thread's content. Easiest way to avoid this, and silly/sarcastic remarks, is to just unsubscribe, which I will do immediately.

Cheers,
Tom
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #408
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Not trying to tell you what to read or not. Just giving my opinion on this thread's content. Easiest way to avoid this, and silly/sarcastic remarks, is to just unsubscribe, which I will do immediately.

Cheers,
Tom
There is always the handy Ignore function as well

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/pro...ignore&u=70451
Old 03-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #409
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Can you honestly tell me that you don't have an Amazon account, Jon? C'mon... tell the truth. You'll feel better. You do don't you? Even if it's only to take advantage of free books. You can tell me... I can keep a secret. Spill it.
Yes, I have an Amazon account. But I have NEVER purchased a Kindle eBook from Amazon.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #410
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that even if you legitimately return a lot of items due to problems with them, what's to stop Amazon from closing your account? There's nothing saying what too high a return rate is. Yes, it's possible to get defective/damaged merchandise. What if you bought a TV and the TV had a scratch on it that you didn't want. Would you return it or keep it due fear of getting your account closed? It's a shame when a shop makes you scared to use your customer rights and they don't tell you what a high rate of returns is. Does Amazon look at the returns for WHY they were returned? Sure, you can have the too many "I just didn't want it" type returns. But what about the defective/damaged returns. Because it's mail order and you want your item fast, it's not unreasonable to return a damaged/defective item and buy it at a local store.

This is one of the reasons I don't think being tied into Amazon is a good idea. You get your account closed and you lose access to your content and the ability to buy new content.
I think a point we're missing here is why keep purchasing from some place that keeps sending you defective/damaged merchandise?
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #411
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yes, I have an Amazon account. But I have NEVER purchased a Kindle eBook from Amazon.
That is, perhaps, because you don't have a Kindle? I've never bought a book from Sony.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:36 AM   #412
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
You've NEVER clicked the "Buy for $X" button on a Kindle ebook? Or you've never paid more than $0 for one?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #413
Jyster
Enthusiast
Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
And that cost someone $30 off the retail price, plus the cost of recertifying the unit, plus the cost of repackaging.

There is no legit reason to return an open item other than defective.
It all depends on what Amazons return policy says.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #414
Jyster
Enthusiast
Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Unfortunately companies say one thing and then do something different.

Examples:
Phone companies or internet companies that tout unlimited bandwidth, but when you use a lot of bandwidth you either get throttled or get sent a nasty letter about your usage. Its called fraud a bait and switch.

At Best Buy the floor workers advise you to take it home and try it out, if you dont like it, return it. Too many returns gets you into trouble.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #415
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyster View Post
Unfortunately companies say one thing and then do something different.

Examples:
Phone companies or internet companies that tout unlimited bandwidth, but when you use a lot of bandwidth you either get throttled or get sent a nasty letter about your usage. Its called fraud a bait and switch.
No, it's called an "acceptable use policy" and the ISP should always inform you that it's there. You can get TRULY unlimited internet deals (I have one) but you'll pay significantly more for them than deals with an AUP.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #416
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Even if the person who's account has been closed is at fault, they have the right to know what the reasoning is for the account being closed.

Unfortunately, giving him a reason is exactly the wrong thing to do. Then there will be an argument over that. Amazon is in business to sell things, and it doesn't further their business model to ban people.

My clients (I work in-house) get complaint letters all the time. Sometimes you can give a specific reason, but sometimes it just isn't worth it. You can get in endless arguments over time differences, holidays, post marks, etc. But what really happened is we had a long, long bad experience with this customer, and we just thought it better he/she go somewhere else.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #417
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
The number of books one purchases does not necessarily relate to the rate one reads books.
K for you!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #418
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
The problem is that even if you legitimately return a lot of items due to problems with them, what's to stop Amazon from closing your account? There's nothing saying what too high a return rate is. Yes, it's possible to get defective/damaged merchandise. What if you bought a TV and the TV had a scratch on it that you didn't want. Would you return it or keep it due fear of getting your account closed? It's a shame when a shop makes you scared to use your customer rights and they don't tell you what a high rate of returns is.
Agreed, but I have been standing in return lines at Costco (returning unworn clothes my daughter didn't wear and doesn't want, with a sales slip) and it makes me sick to see all the people bringing in opened big screen TVs. Yes, the Superbowl is over, but how greedy can you be? Reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother returned a Christmas tree, without a box, a week after Christmas. Some people just don't have any self-awareness.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-05-2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #419
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That is, perhaps, because you don't have a Kindle? I've never bought a book from Sony.
I have KindleForPC and I have the software to strip the DRM & format shift. I don't buy from Amazon because I don't believe in the way their eBook tactics.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #420
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You've NEVER clicked the "Buy for $X" button on a Kindle ebook? Or you've never paid more than $0 for one?
I've never paid for an eBook from Amazon. I have gotten some of the free ones.
Closed Thread