Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-24-2007, 04:13 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iRex iLiad hits Japan

The title says it all. From the press release:

Quote:
On April 23th 2007, iRex Technologies (Pres. Hans Brons, located in the Netherlands, http://www.irextechnologies.com/) and East Co., Ltd.(Pres. Kazuo Shimokawa, located at Yoyogi, Shibuya, Tokyo Japan,http://www.est.co.jp) agreed that East provides sales and technical support for the iLiad electronic paper device for reading of amongst others digital books and newspapers in Japan.

Comment of iRex Pres. Hans Brons
"With East, iRex has found a partner of choice to service the Japanese book and newspaper publishing markets with iRex' solutions. Through this partnership we expect to generate real momentum in the uptake of electronic paper based devices and a breakthrough in electronic news distribution in Japan. We expect this partnership to be longstanding and of great benefit to our customers and prospects."

Comment of East Pres. Kazuo Shimokawa
'My first encounter of this kind of device was Go!'s PenPoint in 1992. I assisted in a positive way the Rocket eBook in 1998 and the Panasonic SigmaBook and Sony LIBRIe in 2004. I have felt strongly the need of such handy reading devices and this time I am very pleased to be able to introduce iRex's leading edge device to the Japanese people.'
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
clabot451
clabot451 began at the beginning.

Device: nintendods - motofonef3 - samsungz560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
The title says it all. From the press release:
I hope Irex will find an italian partner for distribution at least in time for the release of Iliad 2.0.
clabot451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
realityloop
Enthusiast
realityloop has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realityloop has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realityloop has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

whats the white device?
realityloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I can't tell for sure from the pic, but I think it's a Sony Libré.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Interesting. I don't think it's going to compete very well against the FLEPia, once that hits the market, but we'll see whether iRex can get it together in the mean time...

Are Japanese users as prone to wanting to modify their devices as we seem to be?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you mean the Libré won't compete well? I'd say not -- it's an older device, predates the Reader (and the iLiad) by several years, and was really unsuccessful, probably because of it's DRM scheme for which 'Draconian' doesn't begin to be a strong enough description. I expect the only reason that it's pictured with the iLiad is that it's the only other e-ink device that's ever been (officially) released in Japan.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clabot451
I hope Irex will find an italian partner for distribution at least in time for the release of Iliad 2.0.
Don't they have one already? Check out this link: http://store.simplicissimus.it/
Old 04-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Do you mean the Libré won't compete well? I'd say not -- it's an older device, predates the Reader (and the iLiad) by several years, and was really unsuccessful, probably because of it's DRM scheme for which 'Draconian' doesn't begin to be a strong enough description. I expect the only reason that it's pictured with the iLiad is that it's the only other e-ink device that's ever been (officially) released in Japan.
No, I meant the current iLiad won't compete well against the FLEPia A5 when it's released, as the FLEPia, if released as described so far, will have pretty much the same functionality and form factor, plus color, and be cheaper. Except that it runs WinCE, which I wouldn't buy, but I don't know how much the Japanese market will care about that.

I think iRex needs to find a way to get their price much lower.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
No, I meant the current iLiad won't compete well against the FLEPia A5 when it's released, as the FLEPia, if released as described so far, will have pretty much the same functionality and form factor, plus color, and be cheaper. Except that it runs WinCE, which I wouldn't buy, but I don't know how much the Japanese market will care about that.
Ah, now I see.

I've been thinking about the WinCE thing, I think it might actually be a selling point to a professional customer base -- what I mean is that Windows is familiar to most non-technical professionals, in a way that Linux isn't. It will presumably run most of the same apps that folks expect on their PCs (albeit a good deal slower), so they'll see less of a learning curve.

If that's the FLEPia target market, WinCE might just be a good move.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
anansi
anansi began at the beginning.

Can anyone here read japanese

Can anyone here read the japanese version of the specs, it would be interesting to know if Irex makes the same false claims about the device that they used in the european market in what I believe (but am not entirely sure) is a more demanding market with real competition in japan.
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #11
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
Interesting. I don't think it's going to compete very well against the FLEPia, once that hits the market, but we'll see whether iRex can get it together in the mean time...

Are Japanese users as prone to wanting to modify their devices as we seem to be?
I totally agree as well. The Iliad stands a snowball's chance in hell of surviving once the FLEPia is released, mainly due to the price factor. Of course the Japanese aren't hesitant to drop a lot of Yen for portable electronic devices; case in point, a small Casio translator/dictionary/portable encyclopedia goes for $200-300, and everyone has one. On the other hand, people here don't seem to carry around and PDA's other than their phones; that goes for Windows Mobile, Palm, and *nix OS's. One thing that might help though is portability, if the FLEPia is too big (is there such a thing), it might not catch on as well as a smaller more portable, subway friendly model.

As mentioned earlier, I think the Librie flopped due to its stupid DRM/expiration scheme . That device crashed so hard it ended up as a vague obscurity nobody remembers except for the tinkerers. The Japanese are anything but flippant about their hard-earned cash, so they aren't about to waste it on something that will expire (unless it's Starbucks! ) in a few days; i.e., books that expire in a month.

Time will tell, but I'll be watching
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:30 PM   #12
friendoffun
friendoffun began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anansi
Can anyone here read the japanese version of the specs, it would be interesting to know if Irex makes the same false claims about the device that they used in the european market in what I believe (but am not entirely sure) is a more demanding market with real competition in japan.
As far as I could see from the Japanese press release, they haven't mentioned any specs that aren't in the English version. As for competition, the main competition is cellphones. PDAs, tablets and UMPCs are pretty thin on the ground in regular electronics stores here. Dedicated Ebook readers are very hard to find. The only one I have found is the Wordsgear, but that was in Kinokuniya (a book store).
friendoffun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:17 AM   #13
mill0r
mill0r doesn't littermill0r doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader, iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by clabot451
http://store.simplicissimus.it

oops didnt notice Alex' already replied with this link
mill0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:55 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill0r
http://store.simplicissimus.it

oops didnt notice Alex' already replied with this link
NP. Two holds better than one
Old 04-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #15
clabot451
clabot451 began at the beginning.

Device: nintendods - motofonef3 - samsungz560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Don't they have one already? Check out this link: http://store.simplicissimus.it/
Thanks guy you're great (and you're a better netsurfer than I)
clabot451 is offline   Reply With Quote