Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2007, 07:45 AM   #61
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I could use fbreader without problem (apart from the fact that it still has quite a few bugs and rough edges).

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit, I gues you can't get much more incompatible these days but it did not cause any problems.
I'm using a 1GB SD card, a Sandisk in the Iliad.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #62
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
It seems that the largest SD card you can use is 1GB ! My brand is Kingston.
Just format it as FAT
First try if you can put a PDF on it and read it with the iLiad
The wiki on memory cards said FAT32, so I used that the last time, instead of FAT. My card is MMCPlus (which is unsupported, but MMCPlus <= 1GB should be backwards compatible with MMC so it should work...), and this time around I haven't had any major problems except that I sometimes have to mount it manually (using "mount /dev/mmc1 /mnt/card"). So for that reason dropbear and my wlan profile script is stored on the main memory.

The card works for everything else, documents, other applications etc. It is just FBReader that I can't get to work (and the MP3 daemon).
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #63
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I could use fbreader without problem (apart from the fact that it still has quite a few bugs and rough edges).

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit, I gues you can't get much more incompatible these days but it did not cause any problems.
I'm using a 1GB SD card, a Sandisk in the Iliad.
I guess you are more incompatible than me, so there is probably some other reason...

Code:
First error: ./FBReader: error while loading shared libraries: unexpected PLT reloc type 0x00r

Second error: Illegal instruction
Does this give any information?
Old 04-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #64
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
That is odd....sounds like some file corruption problems. Do you have a different memory card you can try? Have you tried to copy it to the internal memory and run it from there?

I'm attempting to port version .8, but I've run into some issues.

I'm still unable to get the screen refresh working as I expect it. I'm attempting to get it going with the standard libX11 library. The problem is that the screen is either refreshing too often, or not enough. I think that most of my problem stems from the screen updating before the updated window is painted. I may have to set a wait in there to give the screen time to refresh.

The hardware buttons have also stopped working with the new version of FBReader. I've set gtk_window_set_wmclass(GTK_WINDOW(myMainWindow), "sh",
"sh"); the same way I had in the .7 version, but it is no longer working. Hopefully I can get these issue resolved and release a good, working version of the software that is ready for mass consumption.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #65
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
That is odd....sounds like some file corruption problems. Do you have a different memory card you can try? Have you tried to copy it to the internal memory and run it from there?
Originally it (probably) was file corruption problems. But the last times it didn't seem like there were any file corruption. Lastly I tried copying the files using the windows explorer onto the main memory (/mnt/free/newspapers) and run fbreader from there:

Code:
root@ereader:/mnt/free/newspapers/fbread# ./FBReader
Illegal instruction
(After setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly, and moving settings to /home/root etc)

By the way, what is the difference between the mmc version and the cf version? Are there hardcoded file/directory references? Is this related to the "fbread must be in the root folder" requirement? And could FBReader then possibly work from main memory the way I did it? (I used the MMC-zip for this).
Advert
Old 04-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #66
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

FBReader only allows the installed path to be set at compile time. If you have it it any directory other than the one it was compiled for, the graphics will not load properly. It shouldn't prevent the program from running.

Try the first part (all but step 4) of the instructions here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ILia...e_Installation

Copy the fbreader directory to your /mnt/newspapers. Then run: "ln -s /mnt/free/newspapers/fbreader /usr/local"

You shouldn't have to export the LD_Library_path. Just set the display and run FBReader. Let me know what happens.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #67
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
FBReader only allows the installed path to be set at compile time. If you have it it any directory other than the one it was compiled for, the graphics will not load properly. It shouldn't prevent the program from running.

Try the first part (all but step 4) of the instructions here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ILia...e_Installation

Copy the fbreader directory to your /mnt/newspapers. Then run: "ln -s /mnt/free/newspapers/fbreader /usr/local"

You shouldn't have to export the LD_Library_path. Just set the display and run FBReader. Let me know what happens.
First: Isn't it extremely ... ahem... "uncommon" to hardcode the installation path into the binaries? Why do the FBReader programmers do that? But I am unused to C++/Linux programming, so I guess there is a reason. But what is the hardcoded compile-time installation path -- /usr/local/fbreader I presume?

Second: I didn't copy the files again, I already had the binaries and libs from my mmc-zip. Are the binaries different, so I have to download the other zip and use that one, or should that be ok?

Third: My files are in /mnt/free/newspapers/fbread. I tried this:

Code:
root@ereader:/mnt/free/newspapers/fbread# ls -lF /usr/local
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           27 Apr  9 19:28 fbread -> /mnt/free/newspapers/fbread/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           27 Apr  9 19:33 fbreader -> /mnt/free/newspapers/fbread/

root@ereader:/mnt/free/newspapers/fbread# set |grep DISPLAY
DISPLAY=':0'
root@ereader:/mnt/free/newspapers/fbread# ./FBReader
Illegal instruction
root@ereader:/mnt/free/newspapers/fbread#
Did this posting give you any more information?
Old 04-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #68
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Download the files again. Use this link: http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...r/fbreader.zip It is a different binary.

As far as hard coding, most programs are compiled to run from /usr/ or /usr/local/. It doesn't so much matter for the executable file, but the other files that it depends on. FBReader looks for it's graphics in /usr/local/share by default. /usr/local will need to point to /mnt/free/newspapers/fbreader, not a directory within local. There is no /usr/local in the iLiad by default, so this won't cause a problem.

Last edited by Adam B.; 04-09-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #69
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Download the files again. Use this link: http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...r/fbreader.zip It is a different binary.
Already on it (no patience today), but the copying takes some time... I think the iLiad is a bit overworked perhaps :S

Quote:
As far as hard coding, most programs are compiled to run from /usr/ or /usr/local/. It doesn't so much matter for the executable file, but the other files that it depends on. FBReader looks for it's graphics is /usr/local/share by default. /usr/local will need to point to /mnt/free/newspapers/fbreader, not a directory within local. There is no /usr/local in the iLiad by default, so this won't cause a problem.
This seems like a sub-optimal solution. What if I have another program with the same "problem"? Why don't we instead create a "local" dir and then a "share" dir in that one, and then symlink to the directory/ies that FBReader need(s)? And I still don't see the need for different binaries, as symlinking should resolve that need?

Anyway, will try the new binaries when my iLiad wants to talk to me again. The copying is going nowhere, fast, and a see a click on the reset button looming in the horizon...
Old 04-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #70
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Agreed. For .8, I'll change that.

I've setup seperate binaries so for those who don't want to touch their root file system. Once an unbricking option is available, I may change the way I build apps since there will be no danger of breaking anything permanantly.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #71
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Agreed. For .8, I'll change that.

I've setup seperate binaries so for those who don't want to touch their root file system. Once an unbricking option is available, I may change the way I build apps since there will be no danger of breaking anything permanantly.
Aha, when you said "root file system" I thought you only referred to the "registry" settings, but you (also) referred to /usr/local. Now it all becomes clear to me

A possible (minor) problem with the different symlink scheme is that they may be removed in the next iRex update. But living on the cutting edige is never easy

I am still waiting for the iLiad to recover. I am a bit afraid of just disconnecting it physically (file corruption...)... I don't know how to cleanly umount (or whatever the correct verb is) a USB connection from the iLiad, and the windows "Safely remove hardware" wizard doesn't allow me to stop the drive...
Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 AM   #72
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

So how did it go?

I've setup FBReader .8.1d. It includes

Quote:
* Opening of external http/ftp/mail links in external browser has been added. (should work with dillo)
* OpenReader book format has been supported.
* New encodings (Vietnamese, Korean, MacRoman, etc.) has been supported.
* Time and position text on indicator
* FBReader reads multi-body fb2 documents.
* Added "Go To Next/Previous Toc Section" actions. (Next Section Via Button on Toolbar. Should be setup to use up/down hardware buttons as well)
* Should Close with Upper Left (Home) Hardware Button
* Better screen refreshes
I finished it this morning, but unfortunately, I forgot my iLiad at home. If anyone with a compact flash card wants to test and let me know, it would be appreciated. It works great in my development area.

If the screen refresh does not work as expected, delete libX11.so.6 and rename libX11.so.6.hacked to libX11.so.6.

http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...ead8cf.tar.bz2
Old 04-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #73
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I have CF and would like to test. I'm still waiting on the shell hack from iRex, however.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #74
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
So how did it go?
I just plugged my iLiad to the USB cable and was told that the internal memory had been formatted (by the companion software). But I know from SSH that it is still working... so my conclusion is: I will never use the USB connection again! So I will try to setup dropbear so that SCP works, and then I will try again.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #75
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
Hardware buttons only works if the application in registered to th X server as "sh". In gtk1.x this is done with

gtk_window_set_wmclass(GTK_WINDOW(my_main_window), "sh", "sh");
What's the difference between "gtk_window_set_title() " and "gtk_window_set_wmclass()"?
According to info provided in iRex Forum, iRex used gtk_window_set_title() in their app.
I have a strange problem now. I used the two lines independently in FBReader code,
Code:
gtk_window_set_title(GTK_WINDOW(myMainWindow), "fbreader");
	gtk_window_set_wmclass(GTK_WINDOW(myMainWindow), "sh", "sh");
And I have modified registry.xml with (for each case)
Code:
<xResourceName>fbreader</xResourceName>
<xResourceName>sh</xResourceName>
The result is only the case of gtk_window_set_wmclass() works. FBreader can get flipbar event in the case.

When I test the two case with my homebrew image viewer, both case work.

Now that I am trying to make djview4 (based on QT) work with flipbar, I found that setWindowTitle() (a QT function to set window title) doesn't work, either.

I might have to read source code of contetlister to understand how does CL do the job.

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-29-2008 at 12:24 PM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote