Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
rtv_73
rtv_73 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
PRS-300 - PDF Files Loses Tables and Images

Hi all!

I need some serius help converting or transforming a PDF file so that I can still see the images and tables at size M.

At S size everything looks fine, but the font size are too small. Even though I removed the margins with Acrobat, I still see them.

The ultimate goal, is having the font size readable and still be able to see the tables and graph of my book.

Thanks for your help,
rtv_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
If you want to see tables and images as laid out in a pdf then you need to re-edit the content to fit the screen of your eReader (in the font sizes you want) using Acrobat Pro not Reader if that's what you used. The cause of your problem is in the very name of the format... Page Definition Format... it's a format that works by defining pages and their content... if you change the appearance then the layout will break down... and reflowing content does just that.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
The cause of your problem is in the very name of the format... Page Definition Format...
All these years I had thought PDF was for "Portable Document Format." So I checked, and I'm right, you are wrong, neener, neener, neener.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pdf
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
rtv_73

Thanks for your reply. I am using Acrobat 9 Pro, and there does not seem to be a magic button to increase the document font size by a porcentage. You have to do it section by section for all your pages in each book.

I dont really care about keeping the exact layup, but at least keeping all graphs and all tables with a decent readable font size.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:37 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's why PDF is an extremely poor choice of format for such things, I'm afraid. When you "zoom in", and it reflows, you lose all the graphics. Much better if you can convert it to a format such as ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I haven't seen how the 300 actually handles pdfs, but on the 600, it first looked as if everything got messed up, but actually, on a page turn, you would get a page with images, tables, etc. without text, so you can kind of see how the layout is, and on the following pages you find the text until you hit the next complete page (pictures only).
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
rtv_73

I am almost giving it up to the 300 and thinking about return it for the 600 (even though I dont like the look of the washed screen).

I think the problem is that size S, the 300 still show margins wasting lots of screen space, since I already remove the margins from the PDF file.

I have tried to converted my documents to ePub, html, and others but tables and graph are reallly messed up or not existing. Do you guys have any suggestion then in how to convert this kind of PDF and to what format?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv_73 View Post
I am almost giving it up to the 300 and thinking about return it for the 600 (even though I dont like the look of the washed screen).

I think the problem is that size S, the 300 still show margins wasting lots of screen space, since I already remove the margins from the PDF file.

I have tried to converted my documents to ePub, html, and others but tables and graph are reallly messed up or not existing. Do you guys have any suggestion then in how to convert this kind of PDF and to what format?

Thanks!
Reflowing when zooming leads to the loss of equations and vectorized images. Somebody in this thread said that the only way to handle this properly is using Adobe soft. I agree,

Nevertheless:

"pdflrfwin" converts each page to an image (you no longer will be able to underline a word, for instance) rotates it and splits in two chinks to view in landscape. There are more settings, split a two column paper and things like that.

"pdfread" is similar to the previous one.

"pdfcrop" tries to isolate more or less compact areas (paragraphs, figures, equations, tables...) then converts each one to an image and produces a pdf. Pletora of options again.

"sopdf" uses a different approach, removes all the margins and then makes a new pdf with the upper part of a page in one page of the new document and the bottom part in another page of the new document.

Regards
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It doesn't show margins-- it shows the PDF fitted to whichever screen dimension it fits, which means the only PDFs that will fill the screen in both directions are PDFs in the same aspect ratio as the screen. The only way around this would be to distort the PDF aspect ratio to make it fit the screen in both directions, which is not a desired result (think about aspect ratios on TVs and DVDs.)
Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
georget99
georget99 began at the beginning.

I know very little about creating PDF's, but...

Your paper size is 4.84 x 7.80, this doesn't match the screen aspect ratio of 4:3.

A better size would be 4.84 x 6.45 (maybe a 1/4 inch shorter to accomodate the status bar.

Can you specify dots per inch?

There are other convert to pdf products on the market, too. You might have better luck with one of them. You can try one by emailing your doc to pdf@koolwire.com and they'll convert it with their software and email it right back.
georget99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
rtv_73

Thanks for your replys! I will keep playing with Acrobat Pro to see if I can change the aspect radio. So far, it does not let me chage the page side.

Following eksor advice, I tried soPDF. So far it did a great job, the only downside is that you have to read your book in landscape mode, 2 screens per book page (top part, and botton part).
Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Thanks for your replys! I will keep playing with Acrobat Pro to see if I can change the aspect radio. So far, it does not let me chage the page side.
You can re-tune the aspect radio by choosing the "crop pages" option and trim off any page margins you don't need. You can also use the "remove white space" option if you don't mind some pages being different sizes than others (because of differing amounts of white space.)
Old 03-03-2010, 03:38 AM   #13
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:

Following eksor advice, I tried soPDF. So far it did a great job, the only downside is that you have to read your book in landscape mode, 2 screens per book page (top part, and botton part).
Hi

Glad to be usefull.

-m 3 fits to height, that is portrait, but the a whole page per screen. Modes 4 and 5, "smart" versions, are not yet implemented.

Regards.
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote