Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #31
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I sent an email to Bookeen and this is the reply I got:
"This issue is well known, we have achieved a first enhancement which increases the bookmark feature stability but we did not find yet the final fix. We hope to integrate it on the next firmware upgrade which should be released in the next few weeks."
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #32
Alan
Connoisseur
Alan began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I sent an email to Bookeen and this is the reply I got:
"This issue is well known, we have achieved a first enhancement which increases the bookmark feature stability but we did not find yet the final fix. We hope to integrate it on the next firmware upgrade which should be released in the next few weeks."
That is definitely good news.

Alan
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #33
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I had also emailed Bookeen about a couple of issues and received a response today that confirms Justy's response (NOTE: statements in bracketed items are mine and inserted for clarification):

Quote:
The second [bookmark] issue has also been identified. We have made some software modifications which enhance the system behaviour but without completely stabilizing the bookmark feature.

We will release in the next few weeks a software upgrade which fixes at least the first issue [this issue has to do with not being able to read books that have been checked out of a library]. We have no final release date yet, but we work to find a definitive solution to the bookmark issue and integrate it at the same time.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #34
GreyCat
Enthusiast
GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 & Opus, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1
I'm very happy to hear that this is something bookeen is working on.

It seems to me to be completely random whether my bookmarks will work or not. I read on my way to and from work and will read anything from 25 to 50 minutes when commuting. Several others here have said they have these problems after reading for a long time, but I don't consider less than an hour a long read... Don't know about the rest of you though .

What I find is not only that you don't know whether or not you will be able to place a bookmark. Even if everything seemingly went fine and I get the little bookmark icon in the top right corner it might not work when I power up the Cybook again. And the Cybooks ability to remember where I was last time is even less reliable than the bookmarks, but after reading this I'll try to go back to library next time before I put it down. I never actually turn my Cybook off except when I want to retrieve the SD card, I usually just let the auto power-off function do it for me. Maybe I should start turning it off? Any ideas anyone?
GreyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #35
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
If you are reading a book from the SD card and bookmarks stops working try to remove the SD card and put it in again to see if bookmarks starts working again. If it is the case that the SD card gets remounted read only then doing this will mount the card rw again.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #36
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCat View Post
I never actually turn my Cybook off except when I want to retrieve the SD card, I usually just let the auto power-off function do it for me. Maybe I should start turning it off? Any ideas anyone?
I've turned off the auto-power off - but I still lose bookmarks. I try to avoid turning off the CyBook at all when I'm mid-book, since any little disruption could result in loss of bookmark.
(Even adding books, charging, or wandering around the library can cause amnesia on my unit )
I'm hoping the next firmware upgrade will enable me to see what 'page' I'm on - that would at least make recovery easier.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #37
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I have no idea if I'm on to something but I haven't had any problems with bookmarks for almost a week. What I do is to go to the bookmark menu and wait at least 2 seconds after the bookmark menu has loaded before I press the enter button to set/remove a bookmark. Since than I had no problems. Maybe it is a big coincidence, but worth to try by others.

Last edited by diabloNL; 01-19-2008 at 03:41 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I sure wish I knew what it is that I'm doing (or not doing) which makes bookmarks work perfectly for me, so I could pass it on to you folks who are having such problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #39
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I still recommend that people having these problems run scandisk, chkdsk or fsck on the file systems to see if they are corrupt or not. I would do it myself directly if I had the problem. If the file systems are corrupt we the now what causes the problem and how to solve it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #40
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

I've had issues with the bookmark feature, although not lately because I really have not been using the option much. But I took your suggestion and ran scandisk and chkdsk on my SD card and found no errors. My SD card was brand new when I started using it so I didn't really expect to find errors, but I may reformat it later on to see if that makes a difference.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #41
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
I ditched the (apparently perfectly fine) SD card that came with the Cybook and replaced it with a 2GB Transcend SD card. Power consumption dropped drastically. Access speeds and overall responsiveness both made huge leaps of improvement - and, oddly enough, bookmarks started to work and the Cybook faithfully remembered where I last stopped reading, even if I forgot to go back to the library screen before powering down. It continues to remember my last reading location for books even weeks after I last looked at them.

Thinking back, however, the bookmark/last read improvement also coincides more-or-less with my decision to stop connecting the Cybook and using Mobipocket to transfer the files. I now power down the Cybook, remove the SD card, put it in my laptop's card reader, transfer files via drag-&-drop, unmount the SD card, replace it in the Cybook, then power up again. What really resolved the problem? It's hard to say without some experimenting and I really don't feel like investing the necessary time and effort to figure it out. As long as it works properly now, I'm really not too terribly interested in figuring out exactly why.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #42
SciFiBill
SciFiBill began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Irex DR800SG
Twice today, when I reopened the book I'm reading, the Cybook put me back 3-5 pages from where I left. The book is not on SD, is on internal memory, and I had to let the unit auto power off both times as I was interrupted on lunch and break. That's about the extent of information I'm able to offer, but perhaps wiser minds may draw conclusions from my meager information.
SciFiBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #43
inky
inky began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
I also ditched the SD card that came with the CyBook and instead am now using a different brand (although it's only 512MB.. but that should be plenty for now). For the first time since I got the CyBook (a few months back!), bookmarking now works properly. I also noticed, like dcalder, that browsing a book now seems MUCH faster.

Here's some things I did that might help others:

1. Obviously, try a different SD card if you have one. Most cameras come with one nowadays, so you could try that.

2. Check what file system the card is formatted as. I noticed that both cards were formatted as FAT16, and no dice -- The card that I have in the cybook (which is working) is formatted as FAT32. Maybe..

3. Try manually syncing.. i.e. don't use the mobipocket reader. Just go to Windows Explorer, and copy your eBook files to the drive in which the SD card is mounted (preferably after a format to make sure nothing is left over). Also, you might want to try not copying the *.MBP files. Perhaps the cybook cannot overwrite or append to them (and they have their attributes set to hidden, perhaps that has something to do it as well).

Too bad I seem to have screwed up the SD card that came with the cybook )(it became unreadable by every OS and application known to man, it appears). Oh well, plenty of time to fiddle around with it in the weekend ;-)
inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #44
ProfJulie
Evangelist

You know, I've haven't synced any books to my Cybook lately and I haven't been having the problems with the bookmarks that I had been having before. I am now copying my books directly to my SD card and not having so many problems. I wonder if syncing creates some kind of compatibility issue.......

Last edited by ProfJulie; 02-24-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #45
GreyCat
Enthusiast
GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 & Opus, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1
My SD card (that came with the Cybook) died. The Cybook suddenly didn't recognize it and the computer told me the card had to be reformatted, but wasn't able to do so.

I started using another SD card that I had lying around and suddenly all my bookmark problems disappeared. Now bookmarks work perfectly and the Cybook always remembers where I left off. I'm crossing my fingers that everything will work fine from now on. But I will bring a backup SD card with books on when I go on holiday next month.
GreyCat is offline   Reply With Quote